Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OldRed project

Hey Everyone.

As you may see in my sig line (and has been there for a VERY long time) my 550 is in many pieces. Well, today it got turned into even more pieces.

I figured since it has taken this long just on the engine work (No, I'm not having Papparo do my engine work) I might as well go ahead and do a frame off "restore."

I'm not going to do a full restore using genuine parts as my budget won't allow for that. But where I can I'm going to use original parts. Planning on replacing bolts with allen heads where I can etc. So it won't up close look like a restoration when you get down to it, but from across the parking lot those details won't be noticable.

Anyway, this morning I had some time and this is how she looks right now.

I'll try to keep updating this thread as I can.

Anybody think I should race Hoomgar to see who finishes first??

Amos

*Edit* While looking through my documents today I came across a photo of tpeeples 550. And just wanted to post the picture here to show what my goal is to look like when finished:

Last edited by Guest; 11-14-2007, 04:23 PM. Reason: Moved photo Hosting / Credit where credit is due.. (tpeeples)

Re: OldRed project

Originally posted by TheBigRed

Anybody think I should race Hoomgar to see who finishes first?? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Amos
    Well Hoomies got a 19 Month 8O head start on you Amos, sooooo i think we should just declare you the winner now :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by wrench

Well Hoomies got a 19 Month 8O head start on you Amos, sooooo i think we should just declare you the winner now :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
      Actually, in all Honesty.. This project started in the fall of 2003 8O 8O 8O .

So I think we're about at the same time.

Amos

Comment

Hey Amos, it looks like your bike's at about a similar stage to mine, except I'm starting much later

I'm keeping all the details on my web page. I'm guessing at this stage that if I'm lucky, I *might* be able to go for a Christmas ride, but somehow I doubt it.

I can only seem to get an hour or two a week to work on it at the moment so it's gonna take a while!
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete
          Hey Amos, it looks like your bike's at about a similar stage to mine, except I'm starting much later

I'm keeping all the details on my web page. I'm guessing at this stage that if I'm lucky, I *might* be able to go for a Christmas ride, but somehow I doubt it.

I can only seem to get an hour or two a week to work on it at the moment so it's gonna take a while!
          Yup, we're about at the same spot. I'm lucky if I get that long each week to work.

However, I'm starting to get motivated to just get this done.

I'm going to be using Por-15 to re-paint the frame etc. I was just reading up on their instructions and application guides. For best performance apply directly to metal, not advised to apply over any other coatings.

So.. Even more time.. Though I was thinking I may just apply it over the paint anyway after scraping all loose stuff and areas around. I figure those areas that are currently missing paint and starting to rust are the problem areas anyway, and the rest has held up for 24 years of use, so I shouldn't have issues there with it not bonding properly.

Anyway, like I said I'll keep ya'll posted.

Anyone have ideas on the best way to clean off the 24 years of gunk buildup???

Right now I"m thinking a liberal application of some sort of de-greaser, followed by a high pressure washing (probably going to rent a real pressure washer as it will be easier than going to the car wash and using theirs)

Amos

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, CRC makes some really good gunk removers as well as electrical contact cleaner. You might need to check a few Auto Parts stores to find it. On the Electric Contact cleaner, there are some formulas that attack plastic, but there should be a disclaimer on the label about that. Another option, since you are going to Repaint anyway is Brake Cleaner.
            sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
            2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Well, thought I'd give a small update here.

I recieved the fender I won on e-bay.

Looks like I'm deffinately in the market for some touch up paint. As well as finding someone who can manage a small weld for me. However I like the red much better than the chrome I had up front there, so I'll probably do my best to make this one look good. I'll get some pictures of it up sometime.

Oh, and I'm still waiting to get my frame back from being sand blasted. (These delays are things you live with when only paying $50 to have the thing blasted)

Amos

Comment

Originally posted by wrench

Anybody think I should race Hoomgar to see who finishes first?? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Amos
                Actually Amos has about a year head start on my buddy He could finish today and I'd have time to spare :twisted:

I hope he gets her done faster than I have :roll:

Lookin good buddy

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                  Actually Amos has about a year head start on my buddy He could finish today and I'd have time to spare :twisted:

Lookin good buddy
                  Yup... I started mine in the fall of 2003, cause I bought the 650 in May of 2004 when I had the itch the worst.

However Mark yours was a project at that time already, So if my calculations are correct, we actually started about the same time.

Am I off in my figuring??

Amos

Comment

Lookin good buddy
                    Yup... I started mine in the fall of 2003, cause I bought the 650 in May of 2004 when I had the itch the worst.

However Mark yours was a project at that time already, So if my calculations are correct, we actually started about the same time.

Am I off in my figuring??

Amos
                    No not at all. I was just stirring the pot trying to hold onto any dignity that I can

My project started in late October 2003 so right around the same time. But if memory serves you told me your bike was down when we met which was earlier in the year so I did think you started then.

You better finish before me or you will look really bad bro! I got Paparo as an excuse :twisted: :roll:

Comment

No not at all. I was just stirring the pot trying to hold onto any dignity that I can

My project started in late October 2003 so right around the same time. But if memory serves you told me your bike was down when we met which was earlier in the year so I did think you started then.

You better finish before me or you will look really bad bro! I got Paparo as an excuse :twisted: :roll:
                      Hmm.. Ok, I met Jodi in the fall of 2002, and I know I rode it through the cold that winter/spring (that is one LONG COLD drive between Lititz and Duncannon in February)

So I believe I rode it as it was till the fall of 2003, when I took it to a friends place and tried to start working on it.

(I'll have to check I have a picture of Jodi and I with it that should be dated somewhere)

As far as my excuses.. Lets see.. No garage to work at.. Getting married.. Buying a house, fixing the house up, moving into the house.. (uhm, that's about the last of what I have..

Amos

Comment

As far as my excuses.. Lets see.. No garage to work at.. Getting married.. Buying a house, fixing the house up, moving into the house.. (uhm, that's about the last of what I have..

Amos
                        And when you add them all together they still are not as good as mine

Comment

What if I add in having to work in an overheating attic during engine tear down??

Amos

Comment

What if I add in having to work in an overheating attic during engine tear down??

Amos

hmmm that did stink.

OK we'll call it an even start and equal excuses. Now, get-r-done

Comment

OK one month wake up and check in... where is Old Red now?

:P

Comment

Working...
                              X