Pix of Ron Bayless' Forward Controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pix of Ron Bayless' Forward Controls

Here it is guys. As I said I would. Hey Ron, is there anyway you can mod these to fit around and/or under my highway bars? I'd love to have some, but I kinda like the way my cage looks. I also don't like replacing case covers when I go down.

Comment

If you mean the kind on lots of bikes of the month, yes we could do something like that, it would mean starting a new attachment procedure, but i imagine it could be done.The ones i had on my bike attached where you see the 3/8 thick plate and there was one more mounting point under the motor.I would imagine the bolts could be manufactured by metric allthread to go through all the different pieces.If someone had the big highway bars like i used to it could be done also, but the smaller ones seem to be what most people have.None of the welds were ground down yet,no coating was done, and the use of stock levers and controls was not accomplished as you can see in thes pictures, but they soon will be.I can tell you lots of time has been spent so far due to none of thes being in existence, now all the subsequent sets will go much faster.Thanks for posting them.
      future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

correction: the elimination,not use of the stock controls was not yet accomplished, but soon will be.
        future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

This is the bars it has on it. I'm not sure what they are, you know more about this than I do it seems. I don't care about using stock levers. I was looking to upgrade those to an aftermarket fancy pants piece anyway. I guess we should talk a little. I really want to make this change. Maybe is there anyway we could use the bars in the installation and/or fab something to them?

No prob with the posting. Glad I could help.

Pic:

Comment

Sorry Ron, I saw you sent me the pics yesterday, but I never got on my computer yesterday! These are looking good. I'll have to take a look at my 1100 to see if it looks like the mounting points are the same or not. How do these feel to you? Does it feel like your legs are really spread out too far to be comfortable? Have you actually ridden with them yet?

Comment

THANKS FOR THE COMMENTS. YOUR PICTURES OF YOUR CRASH BARS IS EXACTLY WHAT I HAD ON MINE.I WILL HAVE TO TAKE ONE OF MY OLD CRASH BARS AND SEE IF THEY CAN BE INCRPORATED.IF IT REQUIRES MAKING NEW ONES ON A MANDREL BENDER THEN I CANNOT DO IT. A DIFFERENT HIGHWAY BAR THAT BOLTS TO THE FRONT OF BOTH DOWNTUBES WOULD WORK, BUT DONT KNOW IF ANY EXIST.YES I HAVE RIDDEN WITH THE SHIFTER SIDE ON, THE BRAKE SIDE I AM STILL WAITING FOR A SPLINED BEARING SO I CAN COMPLETE THE CONVERSION.IF YOU SIT ON A HONDA 750 SHADOW, THAT IS EXACTLY HOW MUCH YOUR LEGS STRETCH OUT, AND NOT TOO WIDE FOR ME, BUT I AM OLD(56) AND HAVE A BAD RIGHT KNEE.i WOULD PREFER RUNNING BOARDS.

Comment

Originally posted by ron bayless
                THANKS FOR THE COMMENTS. YOUR PICTURES OF YOUR CRASH BARS IS EXACTLY WHAT I HAD ON MINE.I WILL HAVE TO TAKE ONE OF MY OLD CRASH BARS AND SEE IF THEY CAN BE INCRPORATED.IF IT REQUIRES MAKING NEW ONES ON A MANDREL BENDER THEN I CANNOT DO IT. A DIFFERENT HIGHWAY BAR THAT BOLTS TO THE FRONT OF BOTH DOWNTUBES WOULD WORK, BUT DONT KNOW IF ANY EXIST.YES I HAVE RIDDEN WITH THE SHIFTER SIDE ON, THE BRAKE SIDE I AM STILL WAITING FOR A SPLINED BEARING SO I CAN COMPLETE THE CONVERSION.IF YOU SIT ON A HONDA 750 SHADOW, THAT IS EXACTLY HOW MUCH YOUR LEGS STRETCH OUT, AND NOT TOO WIDE FOR ME, BUT I AM OLD(56) AND HAVE A BAD RIGHT KNEE.i WOULD PREFER RUNNING BOARDS.
                A shadow you say? Sounds perfect. I really want to see what you can work up for me man.

Comment

I was doing fitting for some forward controls on mine and with your legs straight (not bending your ankle in) they stick out pretty far because the motor is so wide. too far for me. So ill just keep my feet back I think.

Comment

I know we can make a different backing plate to adapt these to the 1100 series bike especially after viewing the great picture sent.The bolt pattern on the `1100 slants more backwards towards the engine than on the 750-1000 series bike, but use of 2 plates one at the orignal angle and one at the new angle would work.As far as crash bars goes, figger the steel rod comes from a 3/8 iinch steel backling plate bolted to the frame and one through a motor mount. the rod sticks out even with the outer case, then is covered with structural steel tubing over that, then you have the footpeg that sticks out past that with a steel rod inside it.even with the footpegs folding up a bit with a spill, the rest of the iron should more than suffice as a crash protection.I also am going to work on a triangulated attachment much as the original crash bars attach to make them even more secure.As far as rodder saying it is too wide, each to his own.I had a 1500 goldwing with a 6 cylinder in it and highway bars with footpegs on them.Make sure, they are more comfortable than keeping you legs and feet back.

Comment

Originally posted by ron bayless
                      .Make sure, they are more comfortable than keeping you legs and feet back.
                      One thing I remember specifically about my 1100, is that when I'm just cruising I subconsiously put my boots on the case and prop them against the cage. I don't know why I did it, it just kinda came natural with the feel of the bike. The only problem was when I tried to do that with my tennis shoes on and made my legs a little spicy hot against the motor, lol. I would love to have that same feeling, but be able to have pegs to rest my feet on. That's how I know I'm really interested in this project.

Comment

I Am Of Course Very Interested In This Project Too.i Will Say I Know I Can Make A Set For Your Bike, But Utilizing The Crash Bars Will Nearly Impossible.i Have An Idea For Not Mounting Them Where The Ocnverted Ones Are Now, But Not Sure If My Idea Will Work.remember, The Crash Bars On The Stock Ones Are Only Mounted To A 1/4 Inch Backing Plate, Ours Is 3/8 Thick,the Rod Coming Out Is Even With The Outside Cases, It Is 7/8 In Diameter, Then The Pegs Come Out From Ther.they Really Offer More Crash Protection Than The Original Crash Bars Do.keep The Faith Brother, I Am Working On It, Believe Me.after I Get All This Done I Hope Someone Wants Them.otherwise Just You And I Will Have A Set! Ron

Comment

i just came back from the bearing company that is going to cut our splined couplers and the cut stock will be 100 dollars a foot.buying in a fairly large bulk is the only way to make it cost effective at all, and we need 20 people to buy the controls to reach the breakeven point.I am a little disappointed in the lack of response here at the site.Heck, i dont care if the responses are not favorable, just something form somebody will let me know someone is looking.The finished product will use 3 ppiece linkages, no welded home made pieces, the stock controls will be replaced with expensive couplers, they should look very nice when done.

Comment

**** man, that sux. What if you presold on ebay?

I'm thinking about building a way to put some pre-existing forward controls off a Honda or something on my bike. I would need to make an attachment and some linkage, but I think it might be a little bit easier than what you are doing. Not too sure yet, but I;m talking to a machine shop to see about having something lathed for me. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

forward controls sounds nice

I think I would like a set for my 83 GS 850 ..if they have a real nice look when finished. I am tall and need something like that for comfort.

Comment

Working...
                              X