voltage across battery while running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

voltage across battery while running

Ok so I got a sweet little voltage/temp/clock meter for my b-day and hooked up on the bike. Shows about 13v when off when running up to 17v. Is this normal to recharge the battery. after a while of driving it does drop down to about 14 14.5 ..

I did double check the volotage with a multi meter with the same results.

14 to 14.8 would be normal charging rate.

Comment

I get 14 while at idle but about 17 when driving it. Sometimes it does drop to 14. Probably the regulator huh?

Comment

Originally posted by dig dug mx6
        I get 14 while at idle but about 17 when driving it. Sometimes it does drop to 14. Probably the regulator huh?
        Most likely R/R. Have you noticed if the battery gets low more often than it should?

This is Suzuki's R/R test for the 700 but could be applied to any GS R/R.

With the r/r removed from the bike, fins pointing up and terminals facing you, the terminals from left to right will be A, B, C, D, and E.
        Negative probe on A and positive on B you should get 6-7.5 ohms.
        Negative probe on A and positive on C you should get 6-7.5 ohms.
        Negative probe on A and positive on D you should get 6-7.5 ohms.
        Negative probe on A and positive on E you should get 50-70 ohms.

Then switch the negative probe to terminal B and place the positive probe on A, C, then D, you should get no reading. Positive on E should read 6-7.5 ohms.

Switch negative probe to C and positive to A, B, then D, you should get no reading. Positive on E should read 6-7.5 ohms.

Switch negative probe to D and positive to A, B, then C, you should get no reading. Positive on E should read 6-7.5 ohms.

Switch negative probe to E, positive to A, B, C, and D should give no reading.

The numbers have to be within range. It doesn't take much of an out of range reading to lead to the wrong output.

Comment

actually the battery hasn't been low all year. but I wll test tonight

Comment

actually the battery hasn't been low all year. but I wll test tonight
            I meant the electrolyte level. Maybe you knew that. With the high charging rate you can boil the battery dry on one long ride.
            Last edited by Guest; 06-15-2006, 01:55 PM.

Comment

I'll check the levels tonight. I thought you meant voltage on the battery.

If it is the r/r where is the cheapest and best place to get one.

Comment

I'll check the levels tonight. I thought you meant voltage on the batter.

If it is the r/r where is the cheapest and best place to get one.
                Ebay, and do the Honda mod. I can give you links to a couple of them on Ebay that are going for under $30 with shipping. I've been watching them for a guy I've been helping get an 1150 trustworthy. They have the Buy It Now option so there wouldn't be any waiting for the end of the auction.

Comment

WHat exactly is the Honda mod? $30 sounds better than the $90 I am finding them for

Comment

WHat exactly is the Honda mod? $30 sounds better than the $90 I am finding them for
                    Most guys here use early '80s Honda regulators on their bikes when the stocker goes bad. The only difference is they have a sensor wire that had to be hooked up to the tail light wire or some other switched source. You could probably adapt one from newer bikes as well. This thread will help you make the right choice.
                    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad.php?t=83313
                    The early 80's Honda 400, 450, and 500 models had the R/R you need to look for.

Comment

Billy if you don;t mind posting the links for those e-bay auction it would save me the searching

Comment

THanks your the best

Comment

Remember when checking your battery that <12.7 volts is a charged battery, >12.5 is 50% discharged and anything below 12.3 is completely dead. I learned that recently...
                          Currently bikeless
                          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

THanks your the best
                            The second listing is cheaper by the time you include postage.

Comment

Working...
                            X