EBay Registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EBay Registration

Just thought I would let everybody know how EBay treats members in good standing. I changed my ISP from earthlink to msm. When I went to change my email address with EBay they wanted my credit card number for ID. I do not use my credit card on the net because of the fraud problems. It seems that since msn offers free hotmail accounts EBays says they need a credit card number. They also say I will not be charged and my number will be safe. Well I do not think the need my credit card number. What do you guys think? By the way my email account is a paid account along with msn premiun. EBay says they can not tell the differance bewteen the two different accounts. Sounds like there problem not mine.
    80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Bill, thank all the asses from Nigeria for slamming embay with fake accounts using hotmail, msn, and yahoo email addys. This was one of the big reasons I bought a domain name and pay for hosting it... So no matter what ISP I have, I never lose my email address.

Comment

I understand why they are doing it but after you have a proven record of 100% feedback from all of your transcations for over a year I would think that would be enough of a record to be able to change an address. Just my .02 worth. Oh well what the heck. I will just give my email address to the sellers so thay can contact me if need be.

Comment

I thought this was Ebay's policy for years. I've been on Ebay since 1998 and remember the policy coming around 1999 because of all the fraud. It is only for their protection as well as the users. I've never had any issues with them having my cc#.

I understand your frustration, however my experience has been positive because of their precautionary measures.

Later,

Comment

It's definitely a PITA but the rule is probably to try to keep someone from hacking your account. They've likely enacted this measure to make sure you're the one making the changes or can be held accountable if it's someone else. I get so many spoof ebay & Paypal fraudualent emails, so it's probably a good thing they're taking these measures in the long run! We have to jump through all of these hoops thanks to all the frauds out there :-(

Comment

I have a credit card that I use for online purchases. I use it based on the company policy of zero charge to me in case of online fraud. It's getting more and more difficult to avoid putting some type of info out there on the net. All you can do is make your best effort to keep your butt covered as well as possible.
            JP
            1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
            1992 Concours
            2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
            2007 FJR

Comment

Thanks for the replies. You guys are right. I was just venting a little. I just need to remember that the rules are unfortunatley written for the lowest common denominator. Can I hijack my on thread. Hey Doug, great lookin bike. Again thanks guys.

Comment

Believe it or not people with right around 100 feedbacks are prime targets for e-bay ID theft, especially if it is 100%. An unscrupulous hacker can list and sell hundreds of items before someone like you or me, a casual e-bayer, will even notice. 100 positive feedbacks seems to be a magic number for gaining the trust of a buyer.

This extra level of security protects you, me, and all e-bay users.

If you ever notice somebody with irregularly timed purchases in their feedback and suddenly they have hundreds of reasonably priced BIN items, it is likely that their account was hacked.

Comment

Just use a credit card specifically for online purchases. Make sure the credit issurer has a policy in place for fraud protection. I use a secured account for this purpose exclusively, becasue there is a limit that I have secured, so even if the credit issuer misses some fraudulent activity, I am not going to lose more than $500.
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                  X