Mac Cycles - Ebay Store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mac Cycles - Ebay Store

I just received what I thought would be a NOS headlight rim from Mac Cycles. See Ebay Listing here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AME WN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140018088997&rd=1,1

While the transaction went very smoothly, and I recieved a good price, I wanted to point out the fact that the listing page is set up to make it look like the rim is NOS, but I believe it to be a reproduction. The part is labeled, "made exclusively for Mac Cycles...etc" and the rim does not have the heft of the original. Now shame on me for not noticing that the listing does not specify NOS anywhere, but there is what appears to be a Suzuki part label in the picture.

I don't really want to list this guy as a deadbeat, but I just want everyone to be aware of the possiblity of reproductions being passed off as presumably NOS.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-10-2007, 10:40 PM.

Don't beat yourself up, Mike ... I looked at the listing, and pulled this quote off of it:

NEW Suzuki GS Headlight Rim for 7" headlamp.
    part number 35111-45231

That CLEARLY implies that it IS a Suzuki part ... NOT a part FOR a Suzuki. If they were being more honest the line would read:

NEW Headlight Rim for 7" Suzuki GS headlamp.
    Replaces Suzuki part number 35111-45231

Now having said that, it sounds like the part you bought is probably a decent piece for the money, but in my opinion honesty is the best policy and their ad is clearly misleading...

Regards,

Comment

Well, I put the headlight back together, and everything fits right. The chrome plate is pretty sketchy though. I think I'm going to order an NOS rim from my dealer. Good thing I'm only out 15 bucks or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H View Post
        Well, I put the headlight back together, and everything fits right. The chrome plate is pretty sketchy though. I think I'm going to order an NOS rim from my dealer. Good thing I'm only out 15 bucks or so.
        If you haven't already I'd leave "neutral" feedback for guy who sold you this rim ... note that the ad was misleading and the quality not up to OEM.

Regards,

Comment

Actually the label says "Made inTaiwan" and is not a Suzuki label. That being said, I still would have made the same assumption you made and thought it was a Suzuki part.

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call View Post
            Actually the label says "Made inTaiwan" and is not a Suzuki label. That being said, I still would have made the same assumption you made and thought it was a Suzuki part.

Hap
            While the label does not specifically say "Suzuki", the manufacturer actually uses the Suzuki number for their own part number. This is a double edged sword, as it makes the listing heading technically correct. The first line can be interpreted two ways, while the second line is correct. Still, I would be upset also.

Comment

Doesn't help you now, but Bike Bandit has them for $27.92. That would have been a good indicator that these are reproductions.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser Sosei View Post
                Doesn't help you now, but Bike Bandit has them for $27.92. That would have been a good indicator that these are reproductions.
                But it's a good habit to get into. I often check bikebandit prices when deciding whether to bid or buy on ebay. It a good point of reference.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H View Post
                  I just received what I thought would be a NOS headlight rim from Mac Cycles. See Ebay Listing here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AME WN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140018088997&rd=1,1

While the transaction went very smoothly, and I recieved a good price, I wanted to point out the fact that the listing page is set up to make it look like the rim is NOS, but I believe it to be a reproduction. The part is labeled, "made exclusively for Mac Cycles...etc" and the rim does not have the heft of the original. Now shame on me for not noticing that the listing does not specify NOS anywhere, but there is what appears to be a Suzuki part label in the picture.

I don't really want to list this guy as a deadbeat, but I just want everyone to be aware of the possiblity of reproductions being passed off as presumably NOS.
                  Looking at the seller's feedback rating, I seriously doubt that the mistake was intentional, but it is very definitely a violation of eBay listing rules.

Unless the item is made by Suzuki, the subject line must include the words "fits". "made for" or similar. Under an example of a Replica, Counterfeit Items and Unauthorized Copies violation, eBay states "Replacement parts for an HP® printer which use HP's parts number and name, but were not made by HP". That is exactly the case in the auction you mention.

And under the Keyword Spamming violation, eBay states "Brand made items --Sellers who list accessory items that are intended to be compatible with specific brands and/or models may identify those brands or models in the listing title. However, sellers may not mislead buyers into believing they could be purchasing a product made by the same company that makes the brand or model with which compatibility is claimed. To help avoid confusion regarding who manufactured the accessory, sellers may want to include words such as “compatible” or “fits” preceding the brand/model names.

It is the seller’s responsibiliy to write a title and description that ensure buyers are not confused over who is the maker of the products offered." (emphasis mine)

I'd definitely contact the seller BEFORE leaving anything other than a positive feedback and give them a chance to resolve the problem. If they are unwilling or unable to, then I would leave an appropriate feedback and also notify eBay of the seller's violations.

Sorry for the length, but I have listed quite a few auctions on eBay and believe everyone should have to abide by the same rules.
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-13-2007, 07:02 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Working...
                  X