New Cavalcade seat, disappointed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Cavalcade seat, disappointed...

Just received my new Cavalcade seat today, $219.00, and it's not plug and play. Also disappointed in the workmanship, very poorly made. I'll be lucky if it lasts 20k miles. I think I'll visit them on my trip to CA in June.....

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
    Just received my new Cavalcade seat today, $219.00, and it's not plug and play. Also disappointed in the workmanship, very poorly made. I'll be lucky if it lasts 20k miles. I think I'll visit them on my trip to CA in June.....
    Is this the Saddleman's seat? Can you be a little more specific as to what it is and what the problems are? Also, pics of the problem might help us understand better.

Comment

I ordered it from Saddlemen/Cavalcade. Lock mount doesn't line up with the hole in the fabric, seat pan is made of molded resin, vinyl covering is pop-riveted to the pan (not even doubled over and sewn), I had to stretch the bolt holes for the lock just to be able to lock it down. The rubber blocks weren't installed, bolt holes were in their place with long 1/4-20 bolts.
      I'll post some picts real soon, I just expected something a whole lot more professional. It was made by BST Enterprises, Inc. in Rancho Dominguez, CA. I'm going to give them a call when I cool off enough to talk to them coherently.......

Comment

So it doesn't come with the rubber bumpers? I need to place an order with bikebandit, so if I need them I need to order them. I've got a seat on the way, I just want to make sure I'm prepared.

Comment

Nope, no rubber bumpers, and measurements are off, so expect to spend some time fitting it up. I'll download the picts tomorrow when I have more time.

Comment

Thanks! I'll get my order placed tonight!

Comment

Thanks for the review. I am looking for a new seat, and now know who to avoid.

Comment

Finally got mine yesterday. PITA to get the rubber bumpers on, lock doesn't fit well, and not cleanly installed to the resin pan.

To make matters even more fun, I ordered my seat a week before Dan and they shipped it on 4/20. I called on the 30th to check where it was because I had received the invoice in the mail on the 27th. Their warehouse is closed Mondays, so they couldn't get a tracking number, but they told me it "just shipped on Friday" . I thought that was unusual, considering they billed my card on the 20th, but whatever. So, knowing it takes 3-4 business days for UPS from So. Cal, I waited until the 4th to call for a tracking number, since it still had not arrived. They gave me a tracking number, which showed the seat had in fact shipped on the 20th, but to GEORGIA!!!!! :shock: That's almost 5000 miles from my house!!!! Now the seat which is a custom order 3-4 week lead time is being routed back to SoCal because apparently my address doesn't exist there?!?!? I called Saddlemen, and they never gave me a clear answer about the error, nor what they intended to do about it. The seat arrived Wednesday 5/9, with no UPS labels other than one from SoCal. So they must have pulled one magically out of their a$$ and shipped it on the 4th.

Service was crappy at best, seat is only so-so for installation, but it is VERY comfortable. I feel much more secure on the bike with this seat.

Comment

We've bought a few seat units from them, and yes, they are very poor fitting... to the point we will never buy a seat assembly from them. Their seat covers are decent value, but the seats are not.

Comment

Originally posted by GS850_Coug View Post
                    Finally got mine yesterday. PITA to get the rubber bumpers on, lock doesn't fit well, and not cleanly installed to the resin pan.

To make matters even more fun, I ordered my seat a week before Dan and they shipped it on 4/20. I called on the 30th to check where it was because I had received the invoice in the mail on the 27th. Their warehouse is closed Mondays, so they couldn't get a tracking number, but they told me it "just shipped on Friday" . I thought that was unusual, considering they billed my card on the 20th, but whatever. So, knowing it takes 3-4 business days for UPS from So. Cal, I waited until the 4th to call for a tracking number, since it still had not arrived. They gave me a tracking number, which showed the seat had in fact shipped on the 20th, but to GEORGIA!!!!! :shock: That's almost 5000 miles from my house!!!! Now the seat which is a custom order 3-4 week lead time is being routed back to SoCal because apparently my address doesn't exist there?!?!? I called Saddlemen, and they never gave me a clear answer about the error, nor what they intended to do about it. The seat arrived Wednesday 5/9, with no UPS labels other than one from SoCal. So they must have pulled one magically out of their a$$ and shipped it on the 4th.

Service was crappy at best, seat is only so-so for installation, but it is VERY comfortable. I feel much more secure on the bike with this seat.
                    You got a lock with yours? I had to transfer my lock from the old seat to the new one; the whole thing was a mess. Sorry I still haven't taken pictures, just haven't had time. Mine does sit well, but the workmanship is very poor, no QC at all involved as far as I can tell.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                      I ordered it from Saddlemen/Cavalcade. .......
                      Is it possible that you mean Saddlemen/TRAVELCADE?

We got one of the Easy Chair kits for my wife's 850L almost two years ago. This is the kit that includes just the foam and the cover, you use your own pan. It arrived about 3 days before our trip to Colorado, so we were excited. At least until I looked at it closer. The grommet around the lock hole was only stitched part-way through. I put the foam on the bike (without mounting it to the pan) and had her try it anyway. They had moved the seating position about 2 inches forward! I took pictures of the new seat and the original seat on the bike, showing the difference in seating position, and of the mis-sewn grommet, then e-mailed them that night. Got a response in a matter of hours after they started work the next day. We reluctantly shipped back what would have been a more comfortable seat just before our trip.

About a week after we returned, we had a big box waiting for us when we got home after work. A new cover, properly sewn, and the 'bucket' properly located. I expected the resewing of the grommet to be covered under warranty, but I allowed that customizing the seat by moving the bucket back might cost a bit, and offered to pay for that part of it. There was no invoice enclosed. \\/

Comfort of the seat is superb. She rode it to Nebraska last year with no problems at all. We have been out on 3-400 miles rides for the day. When we get home, I have to put her bike in the garage. Sitting on her Travelcade is more comfortable than being on the Corbin saddle on my Wing.

These are the same seats that are sold by JC Whitney, but JCW does not list the L models. I contacted Saddlemen/Travelcade directly to purchase ours. If I remember correctly cost was about $150.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sorry, I made a typo, and you just caught it (I missed it). I meant Saddlemen/Travelcade. I'm going to personally visit them in two weeks and see if we can work something out. Mine is also about 2" short for my "L", the lock hole grommet is wrong, just lots of stuff. Hopefully something with their not quite inclusive warranty will work out........... the seat itself is comfortable.:-D

Comment

Working...
                        X