Mo-Tow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mo-Tow

After having a disaster 2006 riding season, I vowed I would never be stranded again, and end up paying $$$$$$$ to get the bike towed, etc.
    This year, I went with Mo-Tow. I *thought* AAA would tow bikes; in NY they do not.
    Anyway, I've been meaning to post this after my Kwacker broke down, sorta. (Low battery acid level, duh). When I stopped to make a phone call, I turned the bike off, and was parked in a parking lot. Got my directions, and went to start the bike, and half-dead battery. No problem, I thought. I've got Mo-Tow.
    First off, to get anyone on the phone took at least a half-hour. FINALLY I get someone, and gee wiz...the questions....ugh. And, when they give you a reference number, it's like 27 numbers...Yeah, I can remember all that! At least AAA it's a 4 digit code.
    Secondly...I was told it was going to be 70 minutes. H3ll, I could've PUSHED my bike home in that amount of time. I got pretty impatient, and tried bump starting it. After the fourth try (and sweating profusely), the bike roared to life.
    I got home, and was here about 45 minutes before Mo-Tow called and left a message. It was actually two hours before they got there. And, no , I did not call them back.8-[
    I suppose if the bike hadnt come back to life, I would have waited it out. However, I have no patience when it comes to waiting.
    I dont give them a thumbs up, or a thumbs down. An "Eh" is all I can muster up for them at this point in time. I am spoiled by AAA who will be there within an hour (except for in one instance), and AAA Customer Service Reps always answer the phone quickly.
    AS said before, if I was in a real pinch, I'll wait it out. I'm saving up for a pick-up truck, like the one from Sanford and Son!:-D

Theres always plan D. No wait, Its my plan B. Push start. Or better yet, find a hill and coast start.

If your eyeing up that 1100 let me tell you (from experience) thats a heavy beast.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

This is why I like bikes with kick-starters.

Comment

I got stuck up at the Crest one time. My starter decided to self distruct.
        I just popped the clutch as I rolled down the hill. I could have kick started it too!

Comment

MoTow

So I'm riding out to the Rockford (IL) Speedway on what has to be the best day (weather wise) we've had in weeks, mid seventies, sunny, anyway I get to the town of McHenry and stop at the light. Hmm. funny, I don't feel the motor purring away, look down to see a row of red lights, dim red lights, press the starter button, NOTHING. @##$%*(&(%&#!^$*&(*&*#%^@ it!
          Got the bike into a parking lot with a slope, much sweat later, got it bump started, relax the throttle, engine dies. !@#$%^&*()_)(&*%^#@%^(_)+__))(**&(%(^@#$%^*&*()(^* _*(&_ it! Figure I've got a deceased regulator (all fuses etc ok).
          So being a member of AMA and MoTow (AAA does not converse with our type, anywhere)... First call goes through just fine, yes there are questions just like with AAA, go into a holding pattern, after the thirtieth loop of some none too pleasent puesdo jazz, I hang up and try again. "Sorry Mr. J but there is no record of your call." Arrrrggghhhhhhhh!
          Go through the Q&A session and this time after about two minutes on hold she comes back and says, "I've tried seven companies so far and none of them can/will "tow" a bike, I'll keep trying, do you want me to call back?" That's a good thing 'cause my battery is getting low. Ten minutes go by and I'm about to call again when lo and behold, MoTow calls me! "Good news I found a company that will get you home, we (MoTow) will pick up $187.00 -first 35 miles-, you will owe about $50.00. Bad news it's going to be 90 mins before they get to you." She gives me the confirmation number, yeah it's long, and in the middle of her passing on the tow co.'s phone number, they call me! Best Way Towing, McHenry, IL. Family run business. Donna, the mother, tells me it'll be half an hour. About 20 minutes later a big guy in a big pick-up shows up and we load the bike in, turns out he is the eldest son, Lee, great guy. I'm home an hour later.
          All in all a 3&1/2 (out of 5)star performance by MoTow, and 5+ for Best Way Towing. Considering I saved almost $200.00 MoTow is well worth the price.
          Be persistent though.

Comment

Working...
          X