Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A set of brushes? not as easy as it sounds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A set of brushes? not as easy as it sounds.

My saga: get a set of brushes for my 1100e starter motor.
    Simple enough, right?You'd think so, but you'd be wrong.

In rebuilding the motor, I did find that the motor can be swapped between models with just the replacement of the butt plate. Nice! but i diverge..

So I call the local Suzi shop to inquire about parts.
    Shop Oklahoma Honda Suzuki in Oklahoma City near OKC for Motorcycles, ATVs, Side-by-Side UTVs & Scooters for Sale. Get Service, Parts and Financing at our motorsports store, too! Call (405) 672-1423.

The person who answers looks it up and says they have it. I clarify: Instock, I can buy them today?
    yes. Woot! I jump in the car and drive an hour to the shop. No parts. I can order them today. Claim is made that new guy does not understand what "in stock" means. I leave, ticked off.
    I decide, after a week of simmering, to give them a second chance. I go online, fiche shows 1 brush in the exploded parts view.
    I call. "My starter has 2 brushes, the picture only shows 1. I need to verify, do i order 2 of part number X, or is it a kit containing both?
    He assures me it is both. I order. A week and a half later, i am notified the part is in. I ask him to open the box and tell me how many brushes are in the box.
    1 brush.

)&*(%#%^*()^%$^&* %(^&+%$*(_&_)+_)+(*^%!!!!!!!!!

I hang up and go chop some firewood with a spoon to get rid of some pent up anger.
    A week later I am calm enough to call back. I skip the phone jockey and ask for the parts manager.
    he listens to the saga, and looks at the service manual. The single brush is meant to accompany a new brush plate, which holds the other brush. It requires the two part numbers to replace brushes.

So, he tries to make it right.
    1) he has a good idea who i had been dealing with. He apparently is clueless and on his last warning.
    2) he offers to expedite the part, and sell it at cost, which is significantly lower than retail. We shall see how fast it gets here, and if it is the right part. ETA: this afternoon or tomorrow AM.
    I have missed a month of prime riding weather as a result. I ride in near any weather, but I do acknowledge a fine autumn day is the best time out here.

update:
    Parts are in, they appear to be what I need. He has also offered to UPS them to my house so I don't have to drive out and get them. Score a few important points back to them there.

Comment

Lesson learned here. Always speak with a Manager

Comment

damn I'd just call rick's electric and have the whole thing swaped out. the brushes may be worn but most of the time it is the armature resistance and end bushings that make the starter bind up and not work.
        SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Working...
        X