Harbor Freight Tire Changer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harbor Freight Tire Changer

I just changed my first set of tires today with the tire changer from harbor freight tools. Works pretty darn good, too. Priced right at $100.00 for the tire changer, and the motorcycle tire attatchmant as a pair, I think it is a wise investment for any do-it-yourself type motorcyclist. Very easy to set up/put together, as there are reletively few parts.

One word of advice though.....Don't just set it up and rush into changing a tire. Upon close inspection of the tire lever you will notice that(especially on the "install" side of the lever) there are a few rough edges that could scratch your rims or pain/powdercoat. I just used my dremmel tool and ground it down smooth, then sanded it with a drum attatchment. After that I ran it accross a buffing wheel and made it nice and shiney and smooth. Also, I would advise you to cover ALL of the clamping points that come into contact with the wheel with duct tape, including the shoe at the end of the bead-breaker.

Other than that, the machine worked well. Plus, I will not likely have to visit a tire shop again, except just to buy the tires, and with access to the internet, I probably won't even have to do that. I hope this may help someone out there who might be concidering purchacing a tire machine. It may not be as nice as a NO-MAR machine, but for those of us on a tight budget, it fits in nicely and does the job well.

P.S.
    Soapy water in a spray bottle works just fine as a lube for the tire. Oh, and it works for car and truck tires as well!

Good luck!

here is a link to the manual :
    MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-19-2007, 11:06 AM. Reason: added link

I get tires at reasonable price, free Mt & balance with tire purchase

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
      I get tires at reasonable price, free Mt & balance with tire purchase
      no free mt. and balance round here, so I'll do it myself from now on.

Comment

Usually I've found Harbor Freight tools to be a disappointment on everything but price, but the tire changer is worth every penny!

Comment

I agree 100%. You have to be careful what you buy there. Some things are just too cheap and cheesy, even at the low prices. But, the tire changer is most deffinately worth the money, works just like it's supposed to, and seems to be built well. Sure is nice not having to pay someone else to do such a simple job too.

Comment

Originally posted by ericzx7 View Post
            P.S.
            Soapy water in a spray bottle works just fine as a lube for the tire.

Use Murphy Oil Soap. Yes, that Murphy Oil Soap, available at the grocery store or Dollar General or RuGlyde available at NAPA. Your choice, it's the same product and is a great rubber lubricant. Murph's is cheaper because you can buy it in smaller quantities. RuGlyde comes by the gallon.
            Last edited by Guest; 12-24-2007, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ericzx7 View Post
              You have to be careful what you buy there. Some things are just too cheap and cheesy, even at the low prices. But, the tire changer is most deffinately worth the money, works just like it's supposed to, and seems to be built well.
              Harbor Fright rocks, you just have to be selective. Some things are too crappy to use once and throw away, others can last a lifetime.

My tire changer is one of the good ones, paid for itself the first day as I had three bikes worth of tires to change, and some old car tires to remove.

Anybody around Denver need some tires changed, come on over.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I've had a set of Hazet tire irons for 30 years since I worked in the industry and I'd have the same advice for the tools as the original poster . The backs were ground down smooth and buffed. Even more important nowadays with the finishes on wheels being easily damaged. The only problem I've found is with some wheels that have had tires on for a long time have been a proper bitch to get the beads brocken. Even in a vice which normally will squeeze the bead off.Had to take them to an aut tire place to have this done.

Comment

Working...
                X