$100 motorcycle GPS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
    GPS on a bike... Just sounds wrong to me.
    Wouldn't that take all the fun out of getting lost?
    Navigation was simpler when decisions were made by taking the road with the most corners in view, the least cars, or just taking the higher of the two.
    Best trips ever were done this way, no maps, no destination.
    I agree to an extent, but, sometimes when you're going someplace you have no idea, it can help you FIND those roads, instead of striking out and getting stuck on some boring as flat and straight Kansas style road. And they would also be mightly handy when lost in the hollers of KY, and desperately low on petrol

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      And they would also be mightly handy when lost in the hollers of KY, and desperately low on petrol
      Yeah, the petrol thing... I actually felt a little bit naked when I figured out I didn't have my phone in my pocket on today's ride, blasting along waiting for the whole thing to seize up.
      Times have changed.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yeah, the petrol thing... I actually felt a little bit naked when I figured out I didn't have my phone in my pocket on today's ride, blasting along waiting for the whole thing to seize up.
        Times have changed.
        Lets just say, it wouldnt be all bad to be lost in KY with out gas, but the first lil mentaly challenged kid with a banjo i see, Im OUTIE.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          Lets just say, it wouldnt be all bad to be lost in KY with out gas, but the first lil mentaly challenged kid with a banjo i see, Im OUTIE.
          Good thing banjos can only play happy music.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Argh, so it turns out you can't update the GPS using Windows Vista (which I have at work) and certainly not with a Mac (which I have at home). I had to call tech support twice to get that answer. I'll have to find someone with an older version of windows. That's another minus 2 points. Still a good deal for $100.

Comment

I got mine last week.
              I was able to update the firmware without an issue on vista.
              Still need to order the updated maps for 80 bucks.. but that will also put it inline with the higher model i was told from tech support.
              But it worked for me as I took it to my parents about 2 hours away in the cage..

Comment

Originally posted by Archania View Post
                I got mine last week.
                I was able to update the firmware without an issue on vista.
                Really?! I had a feeling the guy on the phone was just trying to get rid of me. He did say they don't "recommend" Vista.

Comment

now thats wierd..
                  i installed the software that came with it.
                  Checked online for an update - not one that you need to purchase.
                  Firmware version = 1.72.18.02
                  That was the one i downloaded and installed..

Comment

Originally posted by Archania View Post
                    now thats wierd..
                    i installed the software that came with it.
                    Checked online for an update - not one that you need to purchase.
                    Firmware version = 1.72.18.02
                    That was the one i downloaded and installed..
                    Turns out it's 64-bit windows it doesn't like. I'll have to find a friend with an "old" computer.

Comment

interesting..
                      my laptop is still running xp... gonna have to keep it that way.. lol

Comment

I tried a low end Magellan GPS a couple of years ago. I received it as a gift and thought it would be good to learn on. Its cost was $180 but by the time I bought the map software, memory card and interface it was most of the way to a real GPS which it was not. It's interface was serial port, not a USB, but an old RS232 type connection; this in 2006. As bad as the GPS was, and it was, the mapping software was much worse; primitive functionality and some weird kind of proprietary interface. But worst of all by far was the customer service. Every time I contacted them the response was on the level of "that's the way it is, your problem, and why are you bothering us?" I stayed with it much too long because I just couldn't accept that any company could be that bad and still be in business. I was wrong. They were that bad and they stayed in business. Probably the overall worst consumer product performance I ever experienced.

I would never allow myself to be dependent upon the Meridian company (Magellan manufacturerer) ever again for anything. I would not take it's top of the line model of anything if you gave it to me. If you paid me to take it I would and then immediately throw it away. I can't think of anyone I dislike strongly enough to give it to.
                        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Don, next time please don't hold back, just tell us how you really feel... lol.

Comment

It is pretty ridiculous as well that Magellan doesn't let you download drivers off their website. They'd rather sell you another CD-ROM.

Comment

It's too bad to hear the problems you had with Magellan, Don. They are the only GPS company to have committed to keeping up with mapping snowmobile trails, which are a convoluted mess that change every year. My next GPS was definitely going to be a Magellan because of this. I'll likely never use GPS in a car or bike again, I find them useless for me. But on the sled, off road and in the backcountry, a GPS dropping breadcrumbs can be very helpful, and having the corridor trails listed would be nice.
                              Currently bikeless
                              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

GPS on a bike... Just sounds wrong to me.
                                Wouldn't that take all the fun out of getting lost?
                                Navigation was simpler when decisions were made by taking the road with the most corners in view, the least cars, or just taking the higher of the two.
                                Best trips ever were done this way, no maps, no destination.
                                The Idea I like about a GPS is that I could go out on a ride with out any car on where I am going. Then when I finally get done and want to go home I can just tell the GPS to show me the way.

Comment

Working...
                                X