Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

answers for questions or issues about flatout

hello everybody,
    i just wanted to take some time and go over questions and issues that some of you have had about flatoutmotorcycles.

the question: why we have a signature required on the packages?
    the answer: in the past we have had some people get ahold of there credit card company and tell them that they have never received the package. Then we have checked into it with UPS and the tracking number stated that the package was delivered. We have sent faxes to the credit card companies stating this. then they asked if we had a signature that somebody received the package and of course we said no. instead of the customer getting back with us, so we could take care of it, the credit card company took the money back which in turn we lose the money and the parts.

the question: what are shipping charges?
    the answer: the base shipping price is 9.00. once the order starts to go over 100.00 the shipping charges go up because we insure each package that goes out. if you have a question about shipping charges, please contact me at 765-342-6335 and we can go over the shipping charges (remember im here to help you guys out and it is my job).

the question: why does it take so long for you to get your parts?
    the answer: the reason behind this is that most of time we have to order the parts from suzuki. it would be nice if we could stock everything but that would be impossible. it generally takes us about 3-5 working days for us to receive them, depending on which warehouse the parts come from. that is if there is no back orders. once they are shipped, (depending on where you live) takes 1-5 working days by UPS ground.

the question: why doesnt anybody get ahold of me about back ordered parts or answer e-mails?
    the answer: i am trying to improve this. i am the only one that handles the internet orders here for flatout. i do have more help now, so i should be able answer more questions and should be able to get ahold of the customers that have back order parts.

i hope this helps out most of the questions that has came up about flatoutmotorcycles. like i said before "im here to help you guys out". feel free to contact me at 765-342-6335.

thanks for your time
    Christopher Adkins
    Internet Parts Manger for Flatoutmotorcycles

Chris, it's great to see vendors taking a personal interest in the GSR community. You are one of very few who has made the effort, and we appreciate it. I hope you'll continue to automate and improve your parts department's communication, since regular detailed communication, even if it's automatic, would go a long way toward reducing everyone's frustration with an imperfect process.

For those that don't know, Flat Out has the best Suzuki parts prices available, bar none. This is because they are taking the least markup on the parts, so they have to run a very lean and efficient operation, leading to some of the policies you see above.

You also have to keep in mind that many parts for 25+ year old motorcycles take a while for Suzuki to locate and send to Flat Out. This would apply to any vendor.

One question I have for Chris is whether parts can be shipped to a work address, or if you will only ship to a billing address. If you have to ship to a billing (home) address, requiring a signature is a deal-breaker, since we're at work all day (you know, earning the money to buy parts).

If parts can indeed be sent to an alternate address, this is very helpful for many of us. However, a few employers do not allow employees to receive shipments at work, so it's still a problem.

Another thought might be to relax your signature-required and/or delivery rules for known customers. After, say, two successful $50+ orders, maybe you can have your package delivered as you wish. This would be difficult to track and automate, though.

Again, thanks for staying in touch with the old bike nuts! We appreciate it.
    Last edited by bwringer; 06-19-2008, 05:46 PM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

to answer your question. yes you can have the package shipped to a different address. if you dont want a signature on the package, just put into the customer comments "no signature required" i will take care of the rest.

Comment

Thanks for lookin out for us Chris!

signed,
        Satisfied Customer

Comment

Originally posted by chris@flatout View Post

the question: why doesnt anybody get ahold of me about back ordered parts or answer e-mails?
          the answer: i am trying to improve this. i am the only one that handles the internet orders here for flatout. i do have more help now, so i should be able answer more questions and should be able to get ahold of the customers that have back order parts.

i hope this helps out most of the questions that has came up about flatoutmotorcycles. like i said before "im here to help you guys out". feel free to contact me at 765-342-6335.

thanks for your time
          Christopher Adkins
          Internet Parts Manger for Flatoutmotorcycles
          Chris, thanks for taking the time to stay in touch with the customer base. I have often given KUDO's to you for being one of the few suppliers to actually be a member of this forum. Your Q&A should help the folks understand the parts biz a little better.

Communication is one area I can say has improved. As a testimonial, Chris called me two days after I submitted a recent order to inform me of a back order. Although its frustrating...(and uhh..Chris...I'm still waiting), I understand it's not Flatout's fault. These old parts are getting harder to find.

In others areas, Flatout can't be beat. Your prices are the best I've found. Out here in California your competition is BikeBandit. Their prices run about 15 - 20% higher, plus I have to pay another 8.25% sales tax on top of that. It's no wonder you guys are my source for parts.

I've learned to be patient with delivery time. There's room for improvement there. But I guess it takes longer to get stuff from Indiana than it does from San Diego.

To address Brian's question, yes I take delivery at the office. My receptionist signs and it's never a problem. That is, until I need to get the parts home on the bike! I'm a bungie expert!

Once again Chris, thanks for taking the time. Keep looking for ways to improve the business.

Comment

Chris,

I'm very impressed that you've taken the time to address the members of this forum. Although I haven't used Flatout in the past, your post has just vaulted them to the top of my vendor list for the next time that I need parts.

Thanks for your efforts and consideration!

Comment

Seeing improvement... I got my shipment notification this morning. The tracking number says it will deliver today. Usually I get the ship notification a couple hours after the package. Also, for the first time, I got an automated call from UPS notifying me that a signature will be required for a delivery today.

Heading the right direction!
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Happy Customer here, I ordered the rest of the parts to Repair My Crash damage as well as a couple of filters last week. I got an email verifying the order and another from Chris when the order shipped. I specified no signature necessary when I ordered and the package was on the porch when I got home this afternoon.:-)
                sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

i just ordered around 120 bucks wortha stuff, with a special instruction for chris, hoping it will be faster than bb, coming from indiana rather than caliphonya.....will tell ya how it goes.....
                  1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Thanks for the post Chris. I've dealt with you and bought a fair amount of stuff from Flatout over the past couple of years. I appreciate your efforts to improve the "customer experience".

Comment

Chris,

Thanks for the info and interest. This forum spends a lot of money on parts and are always looking for the best online shop to order from. From my personal experience, I can say that if your communication and shipping times can be improved you will see a big increase in business from this forum. It's also good to know about the signature issue.

Thanks again,
                      Joe
                      IBA# 24077
                      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Chris,

Thanks for combining my two orders...why do I always forget to ask? And why do I also forget to order stuff and have to make a second order?

Ordered a bunch of little stuff and delivery time was much better than before....Thanks again...
                        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Kudos to Chris and flatout

I just wanted to add my experience. I placed a large order 3 weeks ago and it was a positive experience all the way around. I just place a second order and Chris was real helpful once again. I even tried to get a tire but it was on backorder from his supplier. He emailed me right away and let me know. Great communication and great deals.

Thanks.
                          David
                          1998 Suzuki Bandit
                          1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
                          1978 GS1000 - gone
                          1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Thanks Chris

Nice to know you are being keeping up with the GSR site. I generally order all of my larger orders from Flatout because of the steep discounts. If shipping is a little more expensive, great parts prices, reduced costs for ground shipping and the lack of sales tax makes it well worth it for me.

When needed I have been able to get a hold of Chris to ask specific questions (e.g. when double part number show up). He has gone to Suzuki and gotten back to me promptly. I have never had a discontinued item, and the only problem once was a double ship of a starter clutch ,which was promptly refunded on return shipment.

I'm very glad I have Flatout to get parts from.

Posplayr

Comment

just got my order yesterday, 1 week to the day of when it was ordered. faster, for me in michigan, than bike bandit, PLUS i saved 50 bucks off a 120 dollar order. will definitely be getting more from flatout!

greg
                              1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Working...
                              X