Helmet advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helmet advice

My '80 Snell Bell Star has had it- looking for feedback and observations on what's under $200., comfortable fit, latest Snell, and, especially, one that works well with glasses. I live on an island off the coast of Maine, 1-1/2 ferry ride, and an hour drive to the nearest well-stocked dealer on top of that, so any advice would be MUCH appreciated, since on-line ordering is just about the only feasible way to get one to the island to try on. Ordered a close-out Bell Sprint in medium, (my old helmet is a 7-1/4), but the Sprint was too tight as a medium, just plain lumpy inside, and glasses were impossible. Thanks for reading this.
    sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
    '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
    '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
    '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
    '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
    '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
    '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
    '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
    '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
    '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

I bought a Scorpion EXO-400 for my wife & it is a great helmet for well under $200. If it were one size larger, I'd wear it instead of my Nolan. She has no problem wearing her glasses with it.

Snell/DOT certified
    $169 at helmetsource.com Maybe less in other places.

Comment

Helmet fit all depends on the size and shape of your head. I have had great luck with HJC helmets. They fit me great and are reasonably priced. I prefer the AC line but a lot of folks like the CL line just as well. If you feel like trying helmets out from an online source, I'd recommend Newenough.com. If you have to return anything they offer a 110% in-store credit. You still have to pay the shipping but you'll still break out about even.

Thanks,
      Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Excellent info that I refer to quite often can be found here:

Riders don't realize just how many motorcycle helmets exist. We have reviewed more than 500 helmets since 2000. Hands-on, unbiased!

Best of luck!

Comment

I am also researching helmets for use w/ glasses. I have almost decided I'm going to need a flip-up/modular even though none are Snell rated at this point.

As for the HJC...in my searches I have also read great reviews of this line, but avoid the CS line....too cheapy.

I have never heard anything but rave reviews for Newenough in terms of price, product and customer service.

Good luck!

Comment

i'm going to be getting an icon alliance SSR helmet from rubitone, i tried one on and they fit well, and had plenty of room for my glasses. if you are still looking by the time i get it, i can give you an opinion.

Comment

HJC Sy-Max II, which is a full face, flip chin style helmet. It has wicking material, inside, to keep moisture moving away, as well as an integrated sun visor. It is nice with glasses, since it is a flip chin, as well as having the sun shield. No need for changing shields and the visor retracts with a push of a button. Nice helmet. Price is 209 though, but close to your sub-200 price. Most places have this helmet for 280+.

Comment

I usually wear sunglasses under my AC-12.

If you expect to somehow leave your glasses on and pull on the helmet, you're going to be badly disappointed. A helmet that loose is not going to do you much good.

Helmet goes on, then the glasses. All modern helmets, or at least the HJCs I've used for years, have channels for glasses.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I have two helmets: Scorpion EX700 and Shoei RF1000. Both good helmets but different. Shoei is a nicer finished helmet and is lighter and quieter. Scorpion cost me far less, $100 off ebay, has better ventilation but is drafty. Regarding glasses, RF1000 seems to have provision for them while the Scorpion doesn't. You can get the glasses on with the Scorpion but they just don't sit right compared to the Shoei.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I have often been impressed with the good luck that people report after buying mail-order helmets.

For as long as I have had a head and wanted helmets for it I have had to try on several makes and several models within the manufacturer range.

HJC, for example, has never offered a helmet at any price level that came close to being a good fit on my head.

This has been a concern for many years, and compromise was often needed and some modification of the helmet also.

Today, good fortune or at least good opportunity is available once a year. In early January Toronto gets what is billed as the largest motorcycle show in North America, (450,000 square feet of space) and almost anything you could want is on hand. A smaller version follows in spring.

I have found peculiarities in manufacturers products as well, not just between model lines,but in the same line.

Several helmets from the same manufacturer in the same model range AND the same marked size will have differences, perhaps small, but they make the fit just that much better.....or worse.

I have had a Bell helmet for the last couple of years and wanted another. Tried the same model at several places, but did not find one to fit as well.

After trying helmets from various manufacturers at the show, the one I chose due to its fit is marked as a "small" size. That may mean nothing to someone hearing/reading about it, but I cannot comfortably wear a small from any manufacturer including this one, even in the same model line at the same dealer.

I got lucky with this helmet, as I did with the Bell, which I also found at the show. Tried it on, liked it, brought it home.
                    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by cgerbick View Post
                      http://www.newenough.com/pricing/private/2024

HJC Sy-Max II, which is a full face, flip chin style helmet. It has wicking material, inside, to keep moisture moving away, as well as an integrated sun visor. It is nice with glasses, since it is a flip chin, as well as having the sun shield. No need for changing shields and the visor retracts with a push of a button. Nice helmet. Price is 209 though, but close to your sub-200 price. Most places have this helmet for 280+.
                      +1000 very nice helmet!!

Comment

Working...
                      X