Zox Genesis SVS Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zox Genesis SVS Helmet

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with this? It's been getting good rider reviews. Can get one for $195 shipped (w/ metallic finish)

The combination of modular and internal sun shade is very tempting.

Chinese and no Snell doesn't give me a warm fuzzy, though.

Anyone have one?

Thanks,

Rob

You're not going to get a modular with a Snell rating. As far as I can tell, there aren't any.

The Snell rating is pretty meaningless anyway, and many even consider it to be potentially harmful. Google around for a Motorcyclist article that thoroughly explored the issues and tested several helmets.

If you wish to encounter no Chinese made goods in life, you better move into a hand-hewn log cabin and forget about riding or driving or watching TV or using a computer...
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Zox had actually been pretty well thought of for a "cheap" helmet there for a while. The Zox Spectra R was actually used by someone in MotoGP and was Snell rated (which you dont need for the street anyway, and CAN potentially be more harmfull) but it seems anymore they only make modular helmets. I dunno why, but they actually had a pretty good design in the Spectra, I actually considered buying one last winter, but never did.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        You're not going to get a modular with a Snell rating. As far as I can tell, there aren't any.
        Thanks for the info. I'll stop looking for a Snell rated modular.

The Snell rating is pretty meaningless anyway, and many even consider it to be potentially harmful. Google around for a Motorcyclist article that thoroughly explored the issues and tested several helmets
        Well, the Snell rebuttal makes some good points. Motorcyclist only tested against flat surface strikes where softer helmets would do better. Sorry, but that article and rebuttal didn't convince me either way.

The boy just took the State's motorcycle training class and they are avocating Snell approved helmets.

I think that the author summed it up best. "As we said, it's a lively debate".

If you wish to encounter no Chinese made goods in life, you better move into a hand-hewn log cabin and forget about riding or driving or watching TV or using a computer...
        Wow, don't know where that came from. I fear that I've struck a nerve. Please indulge me and allow me to explain myself.

In the 50's, "Made in Japan" meant low cost, knockoff, low quality goods. (I personally wasn't around then, so I can't give personal examples.) They couldn't compete with Europe or America on the quality front, so they competed on the value side. As their manufactoring costs increased, they were no longer able to compete by price alone, so they provided value by increasing the quality of their goods. By the 70's "Made in Japan" started to mean quality. Fast forward to today and it stands for the utmost quality.

So what happened when Japan moved out of that segment? Someone else filled the gap, the Taiwanese and Koreans. I remember the first VCR that I bought in 84. A Korean product that was easily half the price of the Japanese models. Was it as good as the JVC/Sony/NEC/Mitshubishi? No. Did it work and fit my budget, you bet. Things do change, however. Now Samsung and LG are quality leaders.

So, who is the value consumer products supplier today? You guessed it, China. When I needed some hand tools to wrench on things at the lake cabin, I didn't call the Mac guy. I went to Harbour Freight. Are those Pittsburgh branded tools as good as the Mac stuff? Uh, no. Are they good enough for my purpose? Yep and at an excellent price.

I'm not avocating never buying Chinese products. Far from it. My point is that "Made in China" doesn't automatically mean quality in 2008. Will it always be like that? History says no.

I'm also not saying that all Chinese products are low quality. What is needed is closer scrutiny to determine if it's a cheap knockoff or a quality good at a value price.

So, let me rephrase that.

Cons:

Chinese - Is this a cheap knockoff or a quality product?

Thanks for your indulgence,

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoRob View Post
          Does anyone have any firsthand experience with this? It's been getting good rider reviews. Can get one for $195 shipped (w/ metallic finish)

The combination of modular and internal sun shade is very tempting.

Chinese and no Snell doesn't give me a warm fuzzy, though.

Anyone have one?

Thanks,

Rob
          Your better off getting the HJC sym-max 2. I tried one of those this weekend It's even lighter than my HJC FS-10 it has the intern. sun sheild also and it's a modular. I would by it instead if I did it again! though It is a little more than $195 but not much....http://www.newenough.com/helmets_eye...le_helmet.html

Comment

Thanks, I'll check out the HJC.

Rob

Comment

Bought the HJC Symax 2 at Nearly New for $216 shipped. Was lucky to get it since a lot of sellers were out of stock.

Will post a review once I've gotten a few miles on it.

Rob

Comment

My last Sy-max broke last weekend with a drop from the seat of my bike. The mechanisim for the chin bar completely destroyed. I really have loved modular helmets, but I am probably going to buy a fixed chin bar this time. After taking apart the chin bar to see what was broken I was like, "This is what has been protecting my face for 2 years?" It's basically 4 tiny plastic connectors that holds the whole chin bar on. I have been a strong proponent for modulars and the Sy-Max specifically, but no more.

That said, I'm still not 100% I won't buy modular again... the comfort is a huge, huge bonus for me. What to do?
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                  My last Sy-max broke last weekend with a drop from the seat of my bike. The mechanisim for the chin bar completely destroyed. I really have loved modular helmets, but I am probably going to buy a fixed chin bar this time. After taking apart the chin bar to see what was broken I was like, "This is what has been protecting my face for 2 years?" It's basically 4 tiny plastic connectors that holds the whole chin bar on. I have been a strong proponent for modulars and the Sy-Max specifically, but no more.

That said, I'm still not 100% I won't buy modular again... the comfort is a huge, huge bonus for me. What to do?
                  Buy a Nolan? They use a dual locking mechanism to prevent the bar from opening on impact. Dunno if others use such a thing, but ive never been a fan of modulars myself. If you're wearing one, might as well get a halfie...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    Buy a Nolan? They use a dual locking mechanism to prevent the bar from opening on impact. Dunno if others use such a thing, but ive never been a fan of modulars myself. If you're wearing one, might as well get a halfie...

I beg to differ, I was wearing a HJC CL Max modular when I high sided back in May and I did smack the road surface with it. As all there remember, it held up great. I replaced it with another just like it.
                    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Got the Symax II yesterday. Nice looking helmet, but the wrong shape for my noggin. The top fit correctly, but it's not long enough for my oval face. When I put the internal shade down, my eyes are parallel with the bottom of the shade. I must have a tall forehead. Since the top was correct, I figure that the next size up is going to be too big.

One other thing that was bothersome was that my chin felt crowded compared to plain full face helmets.

Bummer.

Comment

I just bought a Scorpion EXO 400 full face. I was seriously considering a flip up but decided against it after having a discussion with a former police officer I work with.

He was on patrol in TN and came up on a bike accident where the driver was on all fours slouched in a ditch dead. Apparently the guy lost control and hit a metal road sign across the hinge and it sliced the guys face off. The cop drives a Suzuki Bandit.

The Fedex truck will deliver it next week and I am pretty excited to replace my 15 yr old Shoie RF 200.
                        1982 GS1000S Katana
                        1982 GS1100E

Comment

I bought a Nolan N102 N-Com this spring and am very happy with it. As mentioned previously the Nolan has the dual locking system and is to my knowledge the only flip up helmet with a stainless steel locking mechanism. Try one on first though, they tend to fit rounder craniums better. I had a CL15 Orbit and it seemed like it was always trying to pull up at highway speeds. It was a little pricey but it is definately is a quality product and IMO is worth the additional cost for the stainless steel dual latching mechanism. I got mine here and was happy with the service.

82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                          81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                          83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                          06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                          AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

Working...
                          X