Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need quick opinions Honda Silverwing (CBX500)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need quick opinions Honda Silverwing (CBX500)

I'm in a bit of a hurry and looking for any information on the 80s CBX500 or Silverwing version. My buddy is dragging me out to view one today. He likes what he sees in the pics, the price is right and as its way out of town I suspect he's going to buy.

Are theses good bikes? Worth getting into? any problems to note?

As always, I appreciate all input.

Cheers,
    spyug

Those bikes seem to last forever!!! A nice ride, with the only trouble I've ever seen, are the water pumps will leak after so many miles. They are located at the back of the engine, so you have to remove it for replacement. Thats quite easy too. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. In England, they use those bikes for currier service, they are flippin' every where!!!

Comment

Very much another good old reliable Honda. Very easy to ride, not a whole lot of fun but it's a Honda, so that's expected.
      My old girlfriend had one, I had a nice GS750 at the time, we both wanted to ride the Suzuki every time. The old Honda CB 350 twins were more fun if that says anything.
      By now it's old, if it's been neglected it could have cooling system troubles, corrosion in the water passages, etc.
      Just check it out as well as you can.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The CBX 550 was an I-4....you are probably referring to the CX500 which had the same V-twin configuration as the Silver Wing (GL-500). As others have mentioned, they seem to have quite a rep, esp. in Europe, for toughness. I think the turbo versions are very cool, esp the 650. Check out this beautiful minty one that appeared lately.....probably didn't sell, with his asking price of $7,000.

Visit Kijiji Classifieds to buy, sell, or trade almost anything! New and used items, cars, real estate, jobs, services, vacation rentals, and more virtually anywhere in Canada.

Meanwhile, another local Cracklist joker has been trying to sell a CX500 Turbo for weeks now, with no pics in his ad.

Tony.
        '82 GS1100E

Comment

Silverwings had a recurring problem with the water pumps, they would start pizzing coolant every five years or so. My bud had one from 86 to 98, did the pump when he first got it, in the early 90's and it was leaking again the last time he rode it with me in '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
            The CBX 550 was an I-4....you are probably referring to the CX500 which had the same V-twin configuration as the Silver Wing (GL-500). As others have mentioned, they seem to have quite a rep, esp. in Europe, for toughness. I think the turbo versions are very cool, esp the 650. Check out this beautiful minty one that appeared lately.....probably didn't sell, with his asking price of $7,000.

Visit Kijiji Classifieds to buy, sell, or trade almost anything! New and used items, cars, real estate, jobs, services, vacation rentals, and more virtually anywhere in Canada.

Meanwhile, another local Cracklist joker has been trying to sell a CX500 Turbo for weeks now, with no pics in his ad.

Tony.
            Did the turbo allow it to get out of it's own way?...but I do like the body panels and paint...and those wheels too.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
              Did the turbo allow it to get out of it's own way?...but I do like the body panels and paint...and those wheels too.
              These were yet another technological showcase for Honda. I think they offered performance comparable to the CB900, once the turbo spooled up, so probably can't be called slow....unless compared to the 1100E's, of course.
              Nice looking bikes though, with typical Honda quality ....check out the finish on the rims etc., compared to the rough cast GS items.

Tony.
              '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                The CX500T was overly complex mechanically and Honda made major revisions to the CX650T - it was definitely no slouch;

Originally posted by Road and Street Magazine - 1983
                Once the engine hits the boost, however, the CX turns into an absolute animal with stunning mid-range punch. In roll-on contests from 60 mph against the Superbike King, the Suzuki GS1100, the Honda easily jets away. That, friends, makes the CX650T the all-time roll-on champ.
                As other people have said, the CX's are known for waterpump failures - you can find more info. on the problem (and what to look for) here;

Comment

They are a very tall and heavy bike for the cc's. Certainly not for a short rider...

There are many parts unique to those bikes - even something as 'simple' as a plug cap has to be bought from Honda.

Generally reliable, they are somewhat dime-a-dozen. You can often find decent versions for under $1000 - and non-running versions for just $200-$500.

Comment

Thanks guys for all input. After a bit of looking at all kinds of bikes, buddy got himself a Yammie 400 Maxim. Good little starter bike. I had one for my first ride. I think he'll be happy with it for awhile but I'm sure when I let him climb on the GS he's going to want one.....at least that's my plan Then maybe I can get a bigger GS.

Its in for certification right now so hopefully it will be road worthy in a day or so and we can get riding. We're burning summer up here

Cheers all,
                    Spyug

Comment

Working...
                    X