Parrot SK4000 bluetooth helmet-set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parrot SK4000 bluetooth helmet-set

I had been using a Camos BHS600 bluetooth setup to listen to music & GPS from my Archos 5 Internet tablet while riding. Recently, I had the misfortune of cutting the cable on the control unit. They no longer make the BHS600, so I started doing some shopping. My needs were fairly basic:
    • Bluetooth stereo audio (A2DP)

I read a pile of reviews, and found there was some nice stuff in the $160 range. One place mentioned the Parrot SK4000. It was popular with people like me that did not need an intercom. I read some mixed reviews on it at places like Amazon, but found some actual user web page reviews dealing with it. What confused me was the price range- anywhere from $55 or so on ebay to $200 at other retailers online. I was wondering if you got the whole thing for the $55. Turns out you do- apparently it is also discontinued, but still has a good bit of support. The company is from France, but they have a USA website & forum. I got mine here at Mobile City Online.

Here's a pic from their website of most of what you get:

It also has a home charger, 3.5mm input coiled cord (for MP3 player), and a few install accessories plus an allen wrench.

The specs are impressive:
    • Bluetooth stereo audio (A2DP)
    • Cell phone via bluetooth in addition to above (the Camos would also do this but I never tried to pair the phone)
    • FM radio
    • Aux input for an MP3 player or similar
    • Handlebar remote with several functions
    • NO INTERCOM (not a factor for me)

I took the plunge and bought two, since I have two helmets, plus I can always have one for spare parts if needed. Here are my impressions:

The battery took over 5 hours to charge.

The base was very easy to clamp onto my Zox modular helmet. The Camos used a cheap metal clip and this is what ended up cutting the cable when it slipped off the last time. Parrot gives you an allen wrench to tighten the clamp and it really stays put once in place. They give you extra rubber pads if your helmet is too thin.

The battery door screw on the handlebar remote does not work with the supplied wrench. I had to use a small allen wrench to remove & replace the screw. The CR 2025 battery supplied worked fine.

Once charging was complete, the unit came set up in stereo out of the box. Apparently older versions defaulted to mono, but once you set stereo it stayed that way.

It paired to my older Nokia phone quickly, and then downloaded my contacts (this is used for voice calls while riding). I was able to make a call to my wife's cell phone since it was in my contact list as a mobile. When I tried our home number, it wouldn't dial. I found this was a user error on my part, as I did not have the home number set up as a landline in the phone, and had no "mobile" number for home. Call quality as noted in the reviews I read was great- I think a lot of this is due to the fact the mic is right behind the lower part of the helmet, which sees little wind, especially behind a Windjammer. The foam of the microphone sits against the edge of my mouth, but it wasn't too irritating. I had never installed the mic on one of the Camos units I used.

I had more of an issue with pairing the Archos tablet. It did so quickly at first, then the music started cutting out. I felt this was due to the wireless router nearby or some other type of interference, as I've noticed this in my driveway with the Camos.

I updated the firmware from 1.14 to 1.15, and then the Archos would pair but not connect. After a power cycle from both it reconnected and did so w/o the music dropping out as it had before.

On the road test, I found like others the volume wasn't quite loud enough, so I used some Velcro stuck adhesive to adhesive for the speakers (I was able to use the Camos speaker Velcro which was still in the helmet. This put the speakers a little closer to my ears and fixed the volume problem. The handlebar remote is easy to use, but if you have large hands it uses grip space, so you may not want to use it. With the remote, I can adjust volume, switch sources, switch tracks on my playlist (forward or backward), and make/receive phone calls. Most of the functions are duplicated on the puck on the helmet (like they were with the Camos), but I liked the handlebar remote.

The unit has a wealth of options, such as automatic volume control. It seemed to work, as when listening to the radio and riding, I noted the volume went way down while at a stop sign.

One other tip- if you want to read how to use it, download the manual from their site (PDF link). The booklet they give you is just too small to make out the details.

Overall, I'm pleased with this device and it is well worth about $60 shipped.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2011, 08:55 AM. Reason: Purchase links

Do you think the microphone boom would get in the way of putting the helmet on if you don't have a modular?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

No I don't think it would be a problem. You can slide the "puck" fore & aft as needed to locate the mic where you want it, and the boom has lots of flexibility.

Comment

Nice review, but it looks like you can't buy this item anymore?
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Nicer avatar (see below)! They are all over eBay new in box. Do a Google shopping search for "SK4000 -shovel -sunglasses" and you'll find as many as you need. I got mine here for $54.95 shipped (Mobile City Online).

Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2011, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Looks like a good replacement for my old one (with not such great sound quality). Such a good price that I have just bought one on ebay

Thanks

Comment

A question for someone that knows more about this stuff than I.

I havea Google G1 cell phone with Blue tooth. Will this work with the headset. I know it will probably pair with the device but will the sound be in stereo? I would love one of these but don't really want to listen in just one ear.

I have used headphones in the past and they are great but the cord is kind of a pain.

Thanks,

Jim
              GS Score Card
              4-400 Series GS's
              3-500 Series
              1-600 Series
              1-700 Series
              4-800 Series
              1-1000 Series
              2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
              sigpic

Comment

If you go to the USA Parrot website I linked in the first post, they have a phone compatibility section there and you can see if yours is on the list. If the phone pairs and has A2DP (advanced audio), then the sound will be in stereo. I'm the wrong guy to ask about cell phones, I really don't like them.

EDIT
                On my first GS1000 I had a pair of headphones in the helmet with a coiled cord and a headphone jack in the Vetter fairing. The times they have a-changed!

Comment

My wife and I have tried two different helmet to helmet intercom devices. The first one we bought used from another member. Fine around town but unless you have a windscreen on your bike you can't hear very well at highway speed. It only had a mono speaker and mic boom with a wireless unit clamped to the helmet.

For Christmas my dad bought us a set up from Interphone.
                  This particular set up is very nice in that you can pair rider to pillion units, rider to another rider units (only the main rider unit can initiate talking to the third unit when three are paired together) and pair an MP3 device and or your phone all at the same time. It has an auto answer function for your phone or push button ignore. Each unit has two speakers, but upsettingly Bluetooth paired music devices only broadcast in mono even if your iPod/iPhone/whatever will broadcast in stereo. However I found a workaround by simply running a splitter from the unit to feed the headphone with both intercom signal and iPhone/iPod signal. Sound level is excellent. Loud and clear even at 70+ mph with a minimal windscreen (the ZRX sort of lacks in that dept thankfully) and music signal quality is nice. Not earbud great but good enough.
                  I asked my pops what he paid and he got it on sale for around $120 IIRC.
                  Good stuff

And to answer someone asked, does it interfere with putting your helmet on if you don't have a modular? Not really. The mic boom is flexible so you can bend it however but I don't even. Have to do that.

Comment

Thanks to you both. I did some searching on the android forumns, wow, you think we get techy, and I believe my old school smart phone will work. Someone updated the software and its supposed to be in stereo.

I am not sure I like the idea of making calls while riding. My helmet
                    has always been the place where phones don't exist. The idea of music and directions from the phone's gps are cool though.

I ordered one and I will try and review as well.
                    GS Score Card
                    4-400 Series GS's
                    3-500 Series
                    1-600 Series
                    1-700 Series
                    4-800 Series
                    1-1000 Series
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jimfj View Post
                      ...I am not sure I like the idea of making calls while riding. My helmet
                      has always been the place where phones don't exist. The idea of music and directions from the phone's gps are cool though.
                      You're welcome. I feel exactly the same way about phones and am a stick in the mud in our instant gratification society . I was not disappointed when my phone didn't connect to my tablet PC.

Hope it works out well for you, at the price I don't think you can go wrong.

Comment

I have to give this product a two thumbs up!!!!!!

I just bought, installed and used this headset on a 400 mile trip this past week end.
                        Phone is a google G1 (HTC)
                        Helmet is standard full face
                        Bike is a GS1100G stock exhaust with Spitfire windshield.

Like GS1000G Shopper i had to play with the speaker location to get the best volume and sound quality out of the headset.

It paired with my phone just fine and played all my stored music. The radio was okay in the city. I didn't use it after the first hour because I was riding into a rural area and there wasn't much to listen too there.

The phone worked well when I used it (2-3 times). I spoke to another motorcycle buddy (Goldwing rider) and he couldn't bellieve the quality of the sound considering my (naked) bike. I have since listened to his full com system on his bike and this is by far better.

The remote is very easy to use when riding with gloves.

My only negative is that the remote takes up a little grip space and makes the turn signal button a little hard to hit sometimes, but it is minor.

The battery in the heaset lasted the full four hours I used it both days. I had it on all the time, even when stopped and the volume was all the way up for 80% of the trip (highway speeds).

I would reccomend this to anyone wanting to have a some music with you while riding and not have to worry about cords. I probably won't use the phone feature that much but it's nice to know its there and the fact that it synchs with your phone book and voice dials is pretty cool.

thanks,

Jim
                        GS Score Card
                        4-400 Series GS's
                        3-500 Series
                        1-600 Series
                        1-700 Series
                        4-800 Series
                        1-1000 Series
                        sigpic

Comment