$10 spy camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

Thanks Jim. I got the date set right. But the clock is about a half hour fast. I'll get it. I'm must be fumble fingering the exact text entries. Not to worry.

EDIT: Because it looked like there were spaces in the time, I was entering "22: 55: 00", but it's not the case. It also seems to take a few minutes for the clock to be reset in the camera. So you have to set the time in the text file about five minutes ahead of actual time.

Isn't there a way to turn off the date and time without bricking the camera? What does that file look like?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2011, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Hi,

I'm really impressed with this little camera. I just clipped it to my visor and rode to work this morning. The video is uploading right now. Here's what it looked like on my helmet.

The camera handled wind noise very well. Up to about 40mph you can hear the engine really well. Faster than that the engine is less pronounced and the wind noise is there, but muted. At times when I was riding slower you can even hear my attempts to narrate my commute into work this morning. Turning my head sideways seems to increase the wind noise. The microphone must have a very small opening on the side or back of the unit. For 22.5 minutes of video the camera used 1.85GB of the 4GB card. And I just realized that it's a 720x480 format.

I'll be back to edit this post with the video link. It's nothing exciting, just my ride to work, but it was a nice test. You get lots of bang for your buck with this cheap little camera. It looks like I'm going to have to pack a little laptop for Mr. renobruce's rally so I can store video. I'll get in some more practice beforehand too.

Hey Jim, I even got the time and date set properly.

EDIT: Here's the link to the video. It's still "processing" so it will be a little while before it's available for viewing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq-Kyas4DEk

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2011, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Not bad,happy I'll be getting one when the Canadian postal strike/lockout gets settled.Then you will see what a commute by MC should be
        Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2011, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Ordered mine today. This may motivate me to fix the crack in my speedometer lens and other cosmetic flaws on my bike, so I won't be embarrased to show videos.

Comment

I have struggled to get mine set up right and now I have it is turning itself off between 5 minutes to half an hour into filming. Most annoying as I have been attempting a few experiments (while unbeknown to me it was off) on numerous occassions and ridden some better stretches of road while it was off. Have tried two of them so far and will try one more. If I can't be confident that they will stay on for an hour I will have to spend more $ to get a proper one.

Anyway I have uploaded some more footage and edited a few place nemes in for those interested.

Enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Green View Post
              I have struggled to get mine set up right and now I have it is turning itself off between 5 minutes to half an hour into filming. Most annoying as I have been attempting a few experiments (while unbeknown to me it was off) on numerous occassions and ridden some better stretches of road while it was off. Have tried two of them so far and will try one more. If I can't be confident that they will stay on for an hour I will have to spend more $ to get a proper one.

Anyway I have uploaded some more footage and edited a few place nemes in for those interested.

Enjoy
              Hmmm... I was able to record my whole graduation (about 1 hour) with no problems of it turning off. I think you have to play around with the "MODE" button.

Comment

I wondered about that, and tried using the mode button to see if it was the problem. I didn't really figure out what it was doing, but when I try bench testing them they run for between half to one hour ok... but not when I'm on the bike. As I said, I'll try another one (still have 3 more that I haven't given away yet)

Comment

Hi,

I have struggled to get mine set up right and now I have it is turning itself off between 5 minutes to half an hour into filming.
                  Did the reset button do any good? Do you have a Class 4 or better microSD card installed?

BassCliff

Comment

Hi,

It's hard to enjoy when you're driving on the wrong side of the road!

Do you have the camera inside your helmet? Did I hear you belch?

BassCliff

Comment

Heh! Yeah, I'm a pig and yes the camera is mounted in my helmet to keep it out of the weather. Yes I have a class 4 card. No I haven't tried the re-set button. (didn't know it had one)

I actually have 6 of them left and am just charging the last two to see if they work any better.

I just tried the second pair. One went for 40 minutes before shutting down (still had plenty of battery left) while the other refused to film for more than 30 or 40 seconds. I think I might have a dud batch.

Interestingly the LED's on some of them are much much brighter than others
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2011, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Hi,

Well, so much for Quality Control. Even after dropping mine I haven't had any trouble with it. I have yet to video for more than 24 minutes at any one time. Further testing is required.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                          Hi,

Well, so much for Quality Control. Even after dropping mine I haven't had any trouble with it. I have yet to video for more than 24 minutes at any one time. Further testing is required.

BassCliff
                          Just tried number 5 and it ran ok for 40 minutes before shutting down (but still had enough juice to go another few minutes when I checked battery condition). number 6 is about 10 minutes into its bench test now. Number 5 will get a second test when it finishes re-charging. Hopefully one or both of them (and number 3) will manage to go 40 or more consistently and we can move on to a field test again

{edit} update

Number 6 went 60 minutes on its first test. Will carry on testing 3,5&6
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2011, 06:40 AM.

Comment

I got the following message from the seller:

Dear buyer
                            So sorry to disturb you .I regret to tell you that the item you bought was fond some quality problems when we tested them before shipping .now the item are all returned to the factory .
                            So sorry for all the inconvenience .pls do accept our apologise .we would like to refund you if you could accept ,hope you would not be angry .
                            Or could you wait for 7 days .if this item supply again ,we would send to you ,but if the problem could not solved ,we will refund you then .could you accept this ?
                            Really so sorry for all the troubles . pls do not leave us neutural or nagative feedbacke ,something we could not control.but we would do our best to help when there is problems .wait for your early reply.have a nice day.

We'll see if this camera can still be bought. I am going to wait the 7 days to see if they can still get it.

Comment

I've given up on them. They may be great value for money but they aren't doing what I want. I need a little bit of consistency and I can't get one of the six I still have, to do the job. It's Hopeless when the same unit runs for differing lengths of time (times range between 2 to 60 minutes with most less than 15 minutes)

Looks like I got a bad batch

I shall have a try with one of these Waterproof 720P HD Proper Sports Action Video Camera with Remote Control.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Waterproo...-/270678005137

Comment

Just had to order one! It should arrive in a couple of weeks. Waiting to see how it operates when mounted to the bike. Someone mentioned that they stuck it under a radio controlled helicopter and the footage was quite interesting!

Comment

Working...
                                X