Diablo Cycle - orders@reproductiondecals.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diablo Cycle - orders@reproductiondecals.com

I found a painter that has done hundreds of motorcycle tanks here in north Texas.

I ordered a set of decals for my 78 GS1000 skunk. I received them quickly, and took them to my painter.

My painter just called and told me that the decals were obviously old or had gotten hot at some point because the stickers had stuck on the white part instead of the transparent part.

He told me that he ended up having to lay them by hand.

He said the tailpiece decals were for the same side and he had to trim one to make it work. He also had trouble with bubbles under the white tank stripe which will now need to be re-done in the future.

I called and spoke with Ellen at Diablo Cycle. Before I was finished telling her what my painter told me, she cut me off mid sentence and said that the stickers were not old and she hears about problems all the time and it is just faulty painters using the sticker manufacturer as an excuse.

I questioned how she would know if her stickers were bad if when people call, she just dismisses their feedback.

I asked what it would cost for the white tank stripes, so my painter can apply tem later and do another clear coat over them.... (I really thought she would offer them for free)... but said she didn't think she could break up a set and the tank decals were $79)

I told her that since I was not involved with the application, I could have my painter call and give her the specifics so she could get the details for either quality control or an educational opportunity.

My painter called her right away, then called me back to say that he started telling her how he had done hundreds of bike stickers and knows when they are old or not. She would not listen to him, talked right over him about the quality of their decals and eventually started yelling ....

Not my idea of good customer service.... or quality control methods.

I personally will not do business with this Canadian firm again.
    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

I have bought at least 4 sets of decals for all my bikes and not so much as one defect, painters complaint..nodda...zero. Nothing from John Harrow who did the blue 750 nor Larry who did all my 1000s.

Maybe they were bad and maybe your painter is at fault...who really knows. Its a subjective "opinion" at best from both sides.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

AND....any bubbles under the white stripe cant be from the decal...only way a bubble can get under it is if it is applied wrong or poor surface preps. I suspect the "painter" flubbed the applications and is looking for a fall guy myself.
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

You are probably right about the stripe. Possibly outgassing, trying to apply them too soon.

My take was that they did not seem at all customer service oriented. She was dismissing what my painter had told me before I had even finished telling her all of the issues.
        82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
        80 gs1000s

Comment

They have been top quality for what I have ordered in the past and have even gone out of their way to create new decals when they don't list them.
          Not sure what is going on here in your situation

Except not hard to imagine they have gotten plenty of complaints in the past about about issues with decals when they feel it is installation issues.
          Last edited by posplayr; 06-26-2013, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Something on the sly is going down from the painters end I think.

He knows the decals are a one shot to get them right and he flubbed the deal. He wants to be paid for the work and not have to throw out of pocket cash for replacing them and redoing it for Greg...that's the vibe I get from this.

Comment

aahhhh, hello! You made a deal with the Devil (Diablo) !?? Are you out of your mind!?? Repent, or suffer the squiggly mark of the beast for eternity!!

Comment

I also got a set for my RoadKill bike, My brother is the painter with 30 years of experience. The decals came out good , but he did tell me he wouldn't use them again. Said they wouldn't release from the backer well. He did eventually get them to work , and they look Good. He told me when we do my other bike he had someone who could make the decals as needed.
                1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                  I also got a set for my RoadKill bike, My brother is the painter with 30 years of experience. The decals came out good , but he did tell me he wouldn't use them again. Said they wouldn't release from the backer well. He did eventually get them to work , and they look Good. He told me when we do my other bike he had someone who could make the decals as needed.
                  Well they did change hands so maybe something has changed on the production end. The decals are very delicate so as to not protrude much which makes them harder to work with. The are definitely not made of standard paper sticker stock.

Comment

I went to pick up the painted parts and my painter showed me on the front tank stripe (not installed) how the sticky was on the wrong side. He said that when decals get old they do this.

Sticky on the white...

No sticky on decal. He said that he placed them properly but since they didn't have enough sticky on them they released when he clear coated them.

It is hard to see in this pic, but the gold has a crease and there is a big bubble/ (crinkle from him trying to press it back down) on the top front edge of big white stripe.

82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                    80 gs1000s

Comment

Looks to me like you got a bad set of decals.
                      sigpic
                      Steve
                      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

I sent the pictures to diablo twice, the first time she says she did not get them and said:

"I know our product enough that I am not going to be convinced of the issues the way the painter is explaining them."

I got no response the second time I sent them.
                        82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                        80 gs1000s

Comment

Perhaps we should keep an eye on that vendor, and maybe find another.
                          I found this, but the part number is the same for all '78 GS1000's, so that bothers me.

When I had my bike repainted, the painter painted all those pin stripes on.
                          Last edited by sedelen; 07-05-2013, 10:03 AM. Reason: Added a line.
                          sigpic
                          Steve
                          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

What I would question is this...If the painter saw they weren't releasing, why didn't he stop right there and called you. At that point they could have been returned and replacements sent.

Whether the decals were or weren't bad, once the painter went ahead with HIS decision, the work is HIS responsibility at that point. Had he stopped and called Greg, then theres another issue all together.

From the start, the painter made bad decisions and went ahead without informing the customer..which is bad business in my opinion.

Comment

And as I had stated earlier..Larry has used 4 or 5 sets from them on my bikes and he hadn't called me or posted any problems. Just sayin.

I am not defending them..just sayin that I hadn't had anything done with their stuff that wasn't perfect.

Comment

Working...
                              X