Kudos to McMaster-Carr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kudos to McMaster-Carr

As some of you know, I run a small hobby business cleaning vintage carbs in my Ultrasonic cleaner. I've done many jobs for my fellow GSR members. I was looking for a source for bulk buying of orings & came across McMaster-Carr in Illinois.
    I first did some careful measuring to determine what size orings I needed for the average carb rebuild. I had a couple of questions so I emailed M C before ordering. Well, they replied to me within a hour. I emailed my order & they had it ready to ship to me in Canada the next day. 3 days later I received notice that my package had arrived!! Great customer service. The orings come in packs of 25 at a cost of between $3 & $6 too. Very reasonable prices, I think.

Paul Jones
    GoFast Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning/Rebuilding Service.
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

They are an excellent vendor. Not always the cheapest on everything but they have over of 90 percent of the items listed in their big Yellow book in stock. Here in Western KY I get most Mcmaster orders the next day without paying premium shipping charges.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Much love for McMaster-Carr here... in Indy, I get my orders the next day from the Chicago warehouse. Plus, their shipping charges are always very reasonable.

Hats off to their web developers, too -- the web site is amazing, and they're always improving it.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I rebuilt the front suspension and steering on my Polaris Snow Mobile with parts from these guys and also from Grainger. Much cheaper and better than stock rod ends. Also, the NLA OEM ones were certainly available too.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          Hats off to their web developers, too -- the web site is amazing, and they're always improving it.
          Absolutely. MMC's website could serve as a model -- really an ideal for developers / programmers to strive for.
          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
          __________________________________________________ ______________________
          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

they've been around for quite a while. a couple years ago i found a 1965 catalog in an old building. sold it on ebay for $100. who knew?

2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
            82 gs1100L probably the next project
            1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
            1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP
            https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2f1debec_t.jpg

Comment

M Carr the best!

I order items by 10am,and will have 95% of the items on my workbench in 3-4 hours at work.Standard ups delivery charges.Also no problems at all with returns.
              Another good source for guy stuff is MSC in Indiana.Probably better for machine tool at that.Helps being Chicago area,most delivery is next day within 300 miles

Comment

Originally posted by landspeedrich View Post
                Another good source for guy stuff is MSC in Indiana.Probably better for machine tool at that.Helps being Chicago area,most delivery is next day within 300 miles
                MSC's web site is nowhere near as useful as McMaster, but they're pretty good. One thing I've found is that you can sometimes get better pricing and much better shipping rates on smaller orders of goodies from MSC if you order through Amazon.com . Figure out the part numbers you need from MSC's site and check the total at Amazon.

One thing that does bug me about McMaster-Carr is that they usually don't specify the brand of the item you're buying. Sometimes this matters, sometimes not.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Ditto the above. When I needed an oddball metric to pipe fitting after putting a Chevy engine into a BMW, MMC was the only place I found that carried it. I've recently used them for a bulk o-ring purchase to correct a substandard aftermarket petcock repair kit. The website is great as it discloses the materials (and what they can be used with, such as oil) and quite often the exact sizes as well as a temperature range.

Comment

Working...
                  X