Gerbing's Heated Clothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gerbing's Heated Clothing

I just received my new Gerbing's XE Jacket. I must say this is a top quality jacket. It is a 3/4 length jacket. It has removable padding in the elbows, shoulder and back. It has reflective piping down the arms and across the back. It has plugins in the sleeves for optional heated gloves. It. Is also water proof. The one I bought was a leftover from last years stock and not the new XE style. Jason Owens of Wings Products in Clinton Tennessee gave me a deal, saved me $100. The jacket I bought was $300. I mainly wanted a heated jacket for them cold mornings. When you want to be in Baltimore by noon and its 40 degrees in the morning. If your serious about cross country touring on a motorcycle Gerbing's Heated Clothing is a must.
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Does it plug into the bike or is it battery operated?

Comment

The set up I have is 12 volts wired to the motorcycle's battery. It goes thru a temperature control then to the jacket. Now, Gerbing's sells a remote chargeable battery set up. They say it will last approximately 5 hours. That type of set up would be more suitable for like going to a football game or some other outdoor activities. Check out there website they make clothing for all kinds of uses.
      My Motorcycles:
      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
      79 1000e (all original)
      82 850g (all original)
      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Would be a better idea to use the battery operated even on the bike, extra load on the bike is not too good of an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by silverbullet132 View Post
          Would be a better idea to use the battery operated even on the bike, extra load on the bike is not too good of an idea.
          Depending on which R/R you have, "extra" load might actually be good.

If you are still using a shunt-style R/R, your stator is going to be putting out as much as it can, all the time. Rather than waste any excess by shunting it to ground, why not use some of it by powering accessories? Especially useful accessories like heated clothing.

Yes, there is a limit to how much your stator can put out, but at speed, it should handle a heated jacket just fine.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have been using heated gear since the 70s. I own a bunch of heated gear, Gearz, Eclipse, Widder, and Tourmaster. They are all pretty good. I like the Gearz for the price, and because it uses the same SAE plug as a Battery Tender. I converted the others to that type of connector too. I've got all these mainly for the family tours i have hosted for years with my brothers, but partly because the ones from the 70s no longer fit.

Why is "Gerbing's heated clothing a must" as you say? What kind of plug does it use? Personally, I prefer a vest under my existing jacket over heated outer clothing. I also prefer the simplicity of an on off switch to a temperature controller. I've used heated gear on Nortons, RD400, Concours, GS, 650Seca, and more with no electrical problems on the bikes.

I agree with heated gear, but I'm not even slightly convinced that I need Gerbings,
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Gerbings use a Coax plug same as warm and safe. On the other end they tend to use a BMW plug or direct to battery.

I have the older Gerbings not micro wire. I've heard they are more reliable. I've also heard that Gerbings warranty is fantastic.

They are not cheap. I got my vest (with neck piece) at the outlet for $80. Controllers are about the same cost but I've see people use heavy duty LEd pulse controllers of EBay for about $20...

The Gerbings is better than the tour master I had. Better made but that wouldn't necessarily put me off a Tourmaster.
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I've got a Widder heated vest. I use it whenever the temps get down around 36-38, at 40 and above the liner in my jacket is good enough. I also have heated grips and Cozy Winters heated socks with their own batteries. Around here, 40 degrees has been feeling like summertime.

Comment

For you who have experience over the years traveling, what do you prefer. A heated vest or jacket liner.
                  1984 GS550ES
                  Rebuild in progress....

1983 GS750ES
                  4700 miles

1978 GS1000E...Resto-mod to come

Comment

I like the heated vest. It's adjustable heat so it saves a lot of time (stop to add a layer, stop to remove a layer etc).
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Mista M View Post
                      For you who have experience over the years traveling, what do you prefer. A heated vest or jacket liner.
                      I prefer a liner ... because it has sleeves.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I wear mine with a long sleeved base layer. With the grips going as well I don't miss the sleeves much & appreciate it when temps jump 20 degrees.

Must say though.. the few times I've ridden in Chicago sleeves would have been nice!
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Good info, thanks. Time to go shopping. Had a few late night chilly rides this year.
                          1984 GS550ES
                          Rebuild in progress....

1983 GS750ES
                          4700 miles

1978 GS1000E...Resto-mod to come

Comment

My Tour Master came with a really stupid design with the lanyard from the battery being the long cable. So its on the bike dangling. It had a coax plug. I changed it out with a SAE connector (this is what a battery tender comes with). It fried its controller when it was new. Tourmaster did replace it on warranty. I have trouble using the controller, and would prefer a simple on-off switch like my Gears, Widder, and Eclipse have. I don't know how the other controllers are, but I don't want colored lights I can't easily see, etc. I have had a set of Widder electric gloves, but gave them away. The wiring harness was a pain. It like like Gears no longer uses a SAE connector. Bummer. I plug the Battery Tender SAE lanyard into a mini voltage converter to charge phones, etc. I like that it fits my heated gear too.
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                            X