Kudos to Iron Pony Motorcycles, Columbus OH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kudos to Iron Pony Motorcycles, Columbus OH

I took my rear wheel off tonight and headed to Iron Pony in Columbus OH for a new Shinko 230 Tourmaster 120/90/18 tire. I chose to go to Iron Pony as they had the tire in stock at a price not much higher than Motorcycle Superstore; a local dealer - Middletown Cycle - would have charged me about 25 more than Iron Pony and I would have waited a week for the tire to come in. I also refuse to talk to another local dealer - Competition Accessories - due to their lousy customer service and much higher prices.

Although Iron Pony's customer service sold me on shopping there a couple of years ago, tonight's action by their tire installer really cemented the deal for me. After receiving my newly mounted tire and leaving for dinner before driving back to Dayton, I received a phone call from a Columbus number. This seemed odd to me since the only people I know in Columbus (VA Employees) don't have my personal number. When I answered, it was the Iron Pony guy telling me he had one of my spacers and wanted to return it. He offered to drive out to me and I explained where I was at and I would wait for him. Once he arrived, I learned he had removed the sprocket carrier to balance the wheel and didn't realize the spacer inside had fallen out until after I left. He didn't want me to have a problem and was willing to find me after his working day was over no matter where I was at. I know of too many businesses who don't care so this was pretty cool in my mind.

To all of those in the Ohio area, Iron Pony should be one of your top vendors.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Too bad they're more than a 3 hour round trip for me. Fortunately, I have a local source for tires that's always been at least competent (Sport Tour).

The last time I was at Competition Accessories, I came away unimpressed too.

Of course, we could learn to mount tires for ourselves... I tried that once, and was so bad at it I decided Sport Tour was cheap enough.
    Last edited by Dogma; 04-13-2015, 10:51 PM.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I watched Steve mount mine and might be able to do that much but balancing them is much harder as the weights I picked up from Harbor Freight, first mistake, wouldn't stick. Williams Vintage Cycle in Xenia messed up the balancing job last year and I won't use them again

And yea, a three hour round trip for me too - at least yours is more direct (I-71) than mine (75 to 675 to 70 to 270)
      Last edited by cowboyup3371; 04-13-2015, 11:32 PM.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I live about a half hour from summit racing, and Iron Pony is the summit racing of the motorcycle world. I make it a point to make the trip at least to window shop at the Pony at least 4 times a year.

Never had a bad experience, but the vintage "swap meet" they had last year was only a half a dozen vendors with overpriced junk.

Comment

Working...
        X