1982 Suzuki GS650G model differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 Suzuki GS650G model differences

So I've noticed a few differences on GS650gs from the same year -- 1982 -- and I'm wondering if anyone has some knowledge about this.

I had a 1982 GS650g in black with gold pinstripes and chrome trim, like the turn signals, etc.

I'm looking at another 1982 GS650g also in black, but it has black plastic trim instead of chrome, on the turn signals, and it has a smooth seat without any cushion squares.

They're identical aside from these chrome vs. black cosmetic differences, as far as I know.

Does anyone know if they are both different sub-models of the same year GS650g? Or is did the later 1982 models have a design that was essentially an early 1983 design? My only thought is that the 1983 models are different and the changes were made in mid-1982.

Thank you for your help!

yes there surely are!

your bike is considered a 1982 GS650G, now the question is is it the model X or model Z? the model X is the earlier 82 and the model Z is the later one, my best way to know is by the motors valve cover, a model X will have 16 bolts for the valve cover as the model Z will have 17 with the 17th one being on the front of the cover close by the tachometer cable. there's plenty of other small differences but yes the trim is also changed up a bit.

im sure somebody else on the forum will know exactly what all the differences are, but this is an important question for you to figure out as you need to make sure if you order parts you choose the correct one so theres no chance of buying the wrong thing.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

timebombprod is right. A multiple of tweaks I had one and I never got an entire handle on them all . Suzukiwas bad this way with many models.
      You might want to closely inspect models at cmsnl(link below) ...compare parts numbers,look closely at tank details per decals,paint colours, and even the "country codes" that the parts diagrams apply to. That said, Mostly they cross-over and are the same but you have to be careful . timebomprod's example is the worst I've seen on the gs650, but I've got a 400 here that did the same exact thing .....

✓ Suzuki spare parts for GS650 Motorcycle. ✓ Swift delivery ✓ Original Suzuki GS650 parts

Comment

Working...
      X