Fork Tubes GS1000GT vs GLT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Tubes GS1000GT vs GLT

The overall length of the forks (tubes+sliders) of a GS1000GT is different to those of a GS1000GLT (model designation from service manual) but the diameters are the same (37mm). Does anyone know the difference in the tubes (is there one?). I have some clean GLT forks I'd like to use to replace my old rusty GT forks ... if I can.

If you mean the overall forks:
    G: Axle on bottom
    GL: Axle on front a aways up from the bottom (leading axle).

If you mean the tubes only. . . . . iduntknow.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

If you're going to use the L-model forks, the triple tree must come with them, to avoid problems caused by the wrong amount of trail. Problem then, is the set-back of the L triple will cause the triple to clonk the fuel tank. You can fit the L tank, too.
      If it's just a question of the chrome on the L legs being better, you could try rebuilding your old set with the good stanchions. That avoids the above problem, but the trail will be slightly altered. Probably not enough to matter. Just be cautious on the first outing and see how it feels.
      ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
        If you're going to use the L-model forks, the triple tree must come with them, to avoid problems caused by the wrong amount of trail.
        Besides the triple tree, you also need the fender. Because the axle on the L is ahead of the forks, the mounts for the fender are offset to angle the fender to match.

Problem then, is the set-back of the L triple will cause the triple to clonk the fuel tank. You can fit the L tank, too.
        There are at least two major problems when fitting the L tank.
        1. You will have to fashion new front mounts on the frame, as the tank is shorter.
        2. You will trade in your 5.8 gallon (US) capacity for a mere 3.0 or 3.5 gallons.

... That avoids the above problem, but the trail will be slightly altered. Probably not enough to matter. Just be cautious on the first outing and see how it feels.
        If you use the L forks with the stock triple trees, trail will be reduced. Steering effort will be reduced, but so will stability. The bike will feel VERY twitchy.

You say your forks are rusty. Where is the rust? if it's above the area where the seals might ride, just clean it up and don't worry about it. Many times, I have used a very fine file to take off the high spots of any rusty divots, then used some vinegar or other rust-dissolving solution to remove the discoloration. A good coat of wax when you are done will slow the return of any future rust.

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post

If you use the L forks with the stock triple trees, trail will be reduced. Steering effort will be reduced, but so will stability. The bike will feel VERY twitchy.

No, I meant use the good stanchions with the non-L lowers - big IF they fit at the bottom of the sliders - but the alteration in trail will be relatively minor. Advantage being the retention of tank, yokes, fender and all.
          ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thank you everyone for the interesting comments.

I have a set of GLT forks with triple clamps that I can pull apart to harvest the tubes if they are compatible with the GT lowers but first ...

I also have varying grades of steel wool that I have used in the past with WD40 to rid surfaces of surface rust ... I hope that, with some serious elbow-grease, I may be able to salvage them after all.

Comment

Working...
            X