Replace a G tank or seat to an L?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace a G tank or seat to an L?

I like the G looks, the bigger tank and flatter seat over the smaller L tank and stepped seat. Can I switch seat and tank? Are there any other gas tanks or seat options that people have done with an L? I have the the possibility of buying an 850L in excellent condition for about $1200 dollars. Good tires and running well. The L is fine but I've been watching for a G.
    Thanks in advance.

Those parts if I recall don't fit over. The mounting points are different. I'd go for the G model. The "L's" were wanna be choppers. The "G's" handled a better and were more comfortable. A better looking bike, though I guess that's really subjective. The "L" models look better if you put flat bars on them with small risers. I ran a Suzuki parts department, and that was the main mod we did at the time, as people came to detest the handlebars. Aftermarket seats too, but they all had that step.

Comment

Frames are indeed different. The L frames are not as stout and won't accommodate G tanks or seats.
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Just my opinion, if you're not an "L" type guy, you will probably not be happy with an "L". You may be satisfied because of the cheaper price, but happy? probably not.... Many want to make the same changes you're asking about, but with little luck.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Thank you! Just the information I needed. I just don't see many Suzuki's of that era here in Montana that someone with a sawzall hasn't butchered. And the L was Montana close, about 2 hours away from me. Thanks again and I'll keep looking for a G.

Comment

No clue your situation?? Possibly this would work till a "G" or "E" is found, then resell the "L", for little or no loss.. You never know, the "L" may suit you fine if you give it a chance.... Oh yeah, Welcome to the GSR.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

rphillips that is another idea to think about. Thanks for the welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by Henry McCann View Post
                I like the G looks, the bigger tank and flatter seat over the smaller L tank and stepped seat. Can I switch seat and tank? Are there any other gas tanks or seat options that people have done with an L? I have the the possibility of buying an 850L in excellent condition for about $1200 dollars. Good tires and running well. The L is fine but I've been watching for a G.
                Thanks in advance.
                Here's some good reading for you on the De-L mods.

One in particular stands out. Check out the GS550L from rkroby (in that thread.)

image.png

I always thought the engineers kept the rake and trail exactly the same on the L and the G, so there wasn't any difference in handling. Maybe a slightly different gear ratio in the pumpkin and a smaller rear wheel made it feel like it handled differently? Personally, I liked the lower seat height on the 1100GL I had, but that's about the only L feature I liked. At that time several G models popped up around here so I jumped on one and sold the L.

Good luck in your search.​
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Burque73...Thanks for the link. It was interesting reading. The 550L conversion really stands out,

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                    I always thought the engineers kept the rake and trail exactly the same on the L and the G, so there wasn't any difference in handling. Maybe a slightly different gear ratio in the pumpkin and a smaller rear wheel made it feel like it handled differently?
                    Correct; despite the oft-repeated legends, there is zero difference in handling capabilities or geometry.

Source: me riding my G and a couple of GLs that belong to friends back to back, and pushing them fairly hard.

They do feel somewhat different because the seating position is different on the "L" model, and you're more or less locked into one place by the stepped seat. The advantages, of course, are less of a reach to the pegs and to the ground, so folks who are shorter than average might prefer the L. The stock handlebars on both the G and GL were evil abominations, so you have to factor that into evaluating the ergos and handling as well. The handlebars have pretty much all been changed, because the bikes are literally intolerable otherwise.

The other very minor difference is that most GL models used a 16" rear wheel, while the G used a 16" rear wheel. This gave very slightly better acceleration in lower gears. Also, in some GL engines, there was a one tooth difference in the fifth gear, and so RPM in fifth gear ended up almost the same. Source: there's a GL engine in my G. I noticed that RPM on the highway was slightly lower after the transplant, and did a lot of research in the fiches.

To sum up: with the usual necessary suspension upgrades (fresh shocks and fork springs at minimum), and allowing for the ergonomic differences, the G and GL models handle identically. Cornering clearance is identical, and as stated, despite the different forks, the frame angles are managed such that the rake and trail end up the same.

Also, bear in mind that Suzuki was the first to really figure out frame geometry; despite their high weight, the G and GL models handle superbly, far better than they have any right to.

Or rather, they CAN handle far better than expected. In bone-stock form, with bouncy, worn-out stock shocks, super-soft fork springs, and evil handlebars, they're as terrible as any other old neglected bike. Same goes for the brakes; with fresh, clean stock calipers and master cylinder, decent new pads, and stainless lines, the stock brakes are actually pretty impressive for the early '80s, and perfectly workable and safe for modern riding.

For whatever reasons, the GL models sold a lot better back in the disco/post-disco era. These days, of course, the more timeless styling of the G model is preferred, but there are a lot more GLs lying around. All else being equal, they can and do function exactly the same, but there are important ergonomic differences you need to bear in mind.

As far as the chain drive "L" and "E" models, I don't have firsthand experience with comparing them back to back, so I'll defer to anyone who does have such experience. But I would guess that the situation is pretty much the same.
                    Last edited by bwringer; 01-17-2023, 09:45 AM.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

bwringer...Very informative. Thanks much for taking the time to write and post this. This gives me some serious food for thought. Again thank you!

Comment

bwringer...what are the usual handlebar replacements for an L? Thank you! I'll be searching in the threads also.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry McCann View Post
                          bwringer...what are the usual handlebar replacements for an L? Thank you! I'll be searching in the threads also.
                          It kinda depends on your physical resemblance to an orangutan...

It's entirely individual and you'll likely need to try a few different options. "Daytona" and "Superbike" bends are popular, IIRC.

There are tons of choices out there in 7/8" bars -- if you ponder the photos of the Bikemaster brand, they're set up similarly and you can see the differences.
                          https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-...=featured&fit=

Perhaps some GL owners can check in with height, orangutan-ness, and the bend they chose.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Hello
                            My first post. Not sure if this is the place to do it but here goes. I am going Monday to buy a 1980 1100 L. Looks to be in showroom condition. 17000 miles. $2800
                            Does this sound like a reasonable price.
                            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 2techguys View Post
                              Hello
                              My first post. Not sure if this is the place to do it but here goes. I am going Monday to buy a 1980 1100 L. Looks to be in showroom condition. 17000 miles. $2800
                              Does this sound like a reasonable price.
                              Thanks
                              Welcome. and No, this is not the place to do this.

Go to the GS Owners Forum - https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...rums/gs-owners

and create a New Topic there. Write your introduction.​
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
                              X