000,003 mile 79 1000S on BaT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trevor View Post

Here's one that just came up for sale today in Vancouver....13,000 miles and $5,000cdn ($3,700us)....seems to be a much better deal

image.png

Excellent condition (and collector plated), low mileage 1980 Yamaha XS 850G, shaft drive, triple cylinder, no modifications except the exhaust which is an era correct 3 to 1. I have the original exhaust pipes which are included with the bike.

Repaired/restored a few years ago and well maintained since, always stored indoors, runs like a dream and turns heads wherever she goes. Needs nothing except a new owner to appreciate her. Selling because I found an XS1100 to work on next.

Lots of pictures attached so you can see every detail, email if you have any questions.

If ad is up it's still available.​
    The '80 XS850G is a pretty rare bird, they sold a WHOLE lot more of the 750/850 Specials than the standards. Wouldn't mind having one myself to be honest. I helped my brother buy a clean '79 XS750F two years ago, 4k mile original bike that had sat for the better part of 40 years. The Triple sounds really cool, and the bike with its pretty long travel suspension, low and long mufflers and shaft drive makes it feel like a Japanese take on an airhead Bimmer almost (with cooler sounding exhaust). In pure quarter mile comparisons the 78-79 750s actually ran quicker than the more-emissions strangled 850s, but I suspect in real world riding the 850's got a nice little torque advantage down low.
    Previous GS fleet: '78 1000C, '79 750E, '81 650G, '82 1100G, '81 1100E
    Other rides: '77 XS500C, '78 XS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by gtem View Post

The '80 XS850G is a pretty rare bird, they sold a WHOLE lot more of the 750/850 Specials than the standards. Wouldn't mind having one myself to be honest. I helped my brother buy a clean '79 XS750F two years ago, 4k mile original bike that had sat for the better part of 40 years. The Triple sounds really cool, and the bike with its pretty long travel suspension, low and long mufflers and shaft drive makes it feel like a Japanese take on an airhead Bimmer almost (with cooler sounding exhaust). In pure quarter mile comparisons the 78-79 750s actually ran quicker than the more-emissions strangled 850s, but I suspect in real world riding the 850's got a nice little torque advantage down low.
      The last of the 750s had everything sorted out that killed the model in its previous incarnations. I had one and it was a nice tourer. In almost every way it was as good as the GS850G. Unfortunately, the bad reputation of the prior 750s meant the last year of the 750 was a dud seller. Yamaha might well have always been planning to upgrade to the 850 anyway, but their hand was forced to try and break away from the legacy of the bad years of the 750.
      ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Motorcycles are supposed to be ridden. I'd be wanting to ride that.
        Current Bikes:
        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I think the folks that buy this type bike have the resources to have a perfectly good riding "S" or "S" clone. Surely nobody would ride a bike like that... But I dun'no... current bid $32K
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

What's the deal with the toggle switch in picture #35
            $32,000 and big red wire with a zip tie???

Comment

Originally posted by bitzz View Post
              Probably a simple immobiliser, as used to be done.
              ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Probably won't even start.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by bitzz View Post
                  The switch turns off the clock, to save battery juice.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

My point being: A $32,000 GS1000S shouldn't have a toggle switch with a big red wire zip tied on.

Comment

Don't know about the zip tie, but I think they had a switch to turn the clock off during storage.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                        Don't know about the zip tie, but I think they had a switch to turn the clock off during storage.
                        Yes. From what I have heard Suzuki put the toggle switch on the 1980 model after complaints of the battery being killed when in storage on the 79's
                        No signature :(

Comment

According to the factory manual, the 1979 has the switch.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            According to the factory manual, the 1979 has the switch.
                            Thanks for that...

Comment

Wow...bid to $33,000us and reserve not met....the seller has balls. Lol

Comment

All that for nothing. Bid to $33,000 Reserve Not Met!
                                My Motorcycles:
                                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                                79 1000e (all original)
                                82 850g (all original)
                                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Working...
                                X