Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sandcast GS1100E? OK this is a nonsense post just weird to see this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandcast GS1100E? OK this is a nonsense post just weird to see this.

I am working on a couple of '83 GS1100E's and one has very rough castings on the passenger footrest bracket - the one on the right looks like the aluminum equivalent of stone-washed jeans. I threw a nice pair of these away not too long ago, I had to clear out so much stuff and nobody seemed to want it, so off to the smelter it went. Now of course Karma is here to taunt me. Anyway, I checked all over and they are stamped the same. it looks like someone took off early on a Friday or something. Has anyone seen ones like this?

Just the musings of a GS addict - but hey, at least there's GS content in this post!

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

Looks like a PO had a go at it with a coarse rotary wire brush.
    Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
    VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

That's what I'm thinking. Maybe covering a weld but I couldn't imagine it getting broken.
      1986 1150EF
      2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

For me the grain and appearance doesn't look like anything rotary or rubbing, just looks like a bad screw-up in production.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

If they'd looked that bad at the factory, they wouldn't have got out the door. That's a PO's work, probably Bubba and his angle grinder trying to remove factory clear coat.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
            If they'd looked that bad at the factory, they wouldn't have got out the door. That's a PO's work, probably Bubba and his angle grinder trying to remove factory clear coat.
            Yeah, that makes sense. I use paint stripper, that's how I did the one on the left. I am wondering if the clear they put on is gloss or satin. Probably doesn't matter.

I have recently started using sponge wet sandpapers that you can get in a pack of various grits to prep aluminum for paint or polish. Cut to fit the triangular Dremel vibrating tool and stick them on. Wow, quick work. I spray a mist of water on and wear a leather glove. All those years sanding by hand, jeez.
            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
              I am working on a couple of '83 GS1100E's and one has very rough castings on the passenger footrest bracket - the one on the right looks like the aluminum equivalent of stone-washed jeans. I threw a nice pair of these away not too long ago, I had to clear out so much stuff and nobody seemed to want it, so off to the smelter it went. Now of course Karma is here to taunt me. Anyway, I checked all over and they are stamped the same. it looks like someone took off early on a Friday or something. Has anyone seen ones like this?

Just the musings of a GS addict - but hey, at least there's GS content in this post!

were these coated in thick black paint? Suzuki had a sneaky habit of using cast parts that would not meet muster for clear coat for black painted.
              I polished off a black engine case once and it was nasty pitted and crude.
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post

were these coated in thick black paint? Suzuki had a sneaky habit of using cast parts that would not meet muster for clear coat for black painted.
                I polished off a black engine case once and it was nasty pitted and crude.
                Not that I know of. Interesting!
                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                '79 GS100E
                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
                X