About to purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About to purchase

I'm very close to purchasing an 82 GS1100G. Any known issues that I should be looking out for, or things to check? Or just the usual stuff you'd expect on a 42 year old bike? The bike is in great condition and I don't expect to find anything major on it.
    Forgive me if this has already been asked, as I'm sure it has. The search tool didn't like any of my search word combinations.

Well, finding the GSR here is a first good step.

As far as "other than ordinary issues for 42 yo bike".... things specific to about any 1980s GS: the charging system.
    Take a volt meter with you, check battery volts before starting and then at about 4k rpm. see if charging system is getting up to at least 13.5, or bettery yet 14. If its not any higher that not running, well, then can telll seller its not charging and negotiate from there. If you dont want to deal witbh volt meter, can just look at headlight at idle, then rev engine, the headlight should brighten.
    Ask seller what he knows about the charging system.

As for any 80s suki shaft drive, ask seller what he knows about the hub in the rear wheel (not the rear final drive, the hub IN the rear wheel). If he didnt know to grease it with every tire change, it could be about to fail.

Welcome to theGSR.

Pictures, we like pictures.
    Last edited by Redman; 09-20-2024, 05:38 PM.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Well, the only real problem I had right away when I bought my 82 GS1100G, was the gas petcock needed a rebuild.
      The neoprene membrane was rotted so gas was sucked up the vacuum hose into the #2 intake pipe..
      EZ fix.
      1982 GS1100G- road bike
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine)
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
        Pictures, we like pictures.
        Will post pics as soon as the deal is done. Provided everything goes well. It should!

Comment

There she is! All strapped down and ready for the ride home.

IMG_3083.jpg

Comment

OOOHHH, Congrats, That thing looks really nice even though "my" least favorite color for bikes is black
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Looks like a de-Kayed GS1100GK, which is good, because you inherit the beefier forks that went with that model.
              ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                Looks like a de-Kayed GS1100GK, which is good, because you inherit the beefier forks that went with that model.
                That’s correct. Used to have all of the fairings and bags. The previous owner stripped it down. I really like the way it looks like that.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                  OOOHHH, Congrats, That thing looks really nice even though "my" least favorite color for bikes is black
                  Me too actually. But on this one I like it allot. Maybe it’s the gold striping.

Comment

Nice looking. That looks like an "L" exhaust. Stock might make a bit more power and no more noise. I have a 1983 1100G engine in a GS1000G. I didn't know that until it needed a starter clutch and the one for a 1000G was too small for the crankshaft. The enrichener being on the left switch pod is a fine improvement compared to a 1981 or older pull from the triple clamp. I would consider looking at the drive attachment to the rear hub. I think it looks great in black and gold.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                      Nice looking. That looks like an "L" exhaust. Stock might make a bit more power and no more noise. I have a 1983 1100G engine in a GS1000G. I didn't know that until it needed a starter clutch and the one for a 1000G was too small for the crankshaft. The enrichener being on the left switch pod is a fine improvement compared to a 1981 or older pull from the triple clamp. I would consider looking at the drive attachment to the rear hub. I think it looks great in black and gold.
                      The PO says the original exhaust was rusted pretty bad so he cut it off and added aftermarket slip ons. He did a decent job but I went ahead and ordered a Delkevic 4 into 1.

And do you mean disassembling the rear hub assembly? I did check the oil and it’s topped and clean.

Comment

Working...
                      X