No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Pete, glad to hear your gasket and filter are in the country, you should have them by Tuesday at the latest? You know if you sort out the garage you will never find anything again, cheers.
    Shin-Ken 1074
    1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
    1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Originally posted by Shin-Ken 1074 View Post
      Hi Pete, glad to hear your gasket and filter are in the country, you should have them by Tuesday at the latest? You know if you sort out the garage you will never find anything again, cheers.
      I hope so! Rain and showers predicted all week so won't matter if she's off the road while I get it all done over a few nights. Gotta give everything a once over... heading out for a short run with John this morning which should get me real close to 1000km's for the first service

And yeah, I'm gonna lose a whole lot of stuff during the sorting! Haha
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Today so far the brake discs have been replaced, forks assembled with new seals and re-chromed inner tubes (no springs just yet), new pads for the calipers, bleed the front brake system and now that the anti-dive system has been bypassed the brake lever has a better feel. The new fork springs have arrived I just have to decide if they are going to be fitted today or Tuesday after some clarification from the supplier.

As always here at GSR pics are provided for your viewing, cheers.

Shin-Ken 1074
        1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Mucho better!

Daniel

Comment

Thanks Daniel, cheers.
            Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Today I replaced my tach cable on the 1000. I pulled the inner cable out of the housing and put powdered graphite all over it before I put it back in. I also gave the tach a "shot" of WD-40 in the tach cable hole feed. No more bouncing of the needle, nice.
              Thanks Daniel for that extremely nice cable. Don't know whether that was OEM or not, but it was extremely well made. It had a nice rubber boot that fit over the locking screw on the engine side. Haven't seen one of those before.
              This is my first day back in Florida after a week in Ohio, so I just had to take it out and give it an hour test ride.
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Sedelen, O.E.M. from Boulevard Suzuki in FL. to me and back to FL. to you.
                I have never seen that rubber boot either. Even when my 750 only had 1,500 miles on it, it wasn't there.
                The VERY LEAST that I could do to START to repay YOUR generosity!

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                  I have never seen that rubber boot either. Even when my 750 only had 1,500 miles on it, it wasn't there.

Daniel
                  It's really nice to know where that red-line is without guessing .
                  sigpic
                  Steve
                  "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Today so far the brake discs have been replaced, forks assembled with new seals and re-chromed inner tubes (no springs just yet), new pads for the calipers, bleed the front brake system and now that the anti-dive system has been bypassed the brake lever has a better feel. The new fork springs have arrived I just have to decide if they are going to be fitted today or Tuesday after some clarification from the supplier.

As always here at GSR pics are provided for your viewing, cheers.

Beautiful work again Glen! Can't believe how shiny those caliper bolts are... but I think you may need some caliper paint

What's the go with the springs? Do they not just slot in or waiting on oil level or something? I know with my Ikon springs they said stay with stock oil level, but they're not custom jobs just OEM replacement...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post

Daniel
                      My 450 cable has the boot on it but I have a new one just about to arrive with my valve cover gaskets and oil filters so I hope it has the boot also.

My tacho's very bouncy and has been dismantled and cleaned as well as the cable removed, inner removed, cleaned, and lubed but still bouncy... hoping the new cable fixes that.

sigpic

Comment

Oh, nearly forgot I did a bit of wrenching myself today!

Got out for a nice ride with John and his son over Mt Nebo and Mt Glorious and when I got back my odo read 95203km's which means 937km's since the rebuild

Sump plug and oil filter out while she was still warm and now I'm just waiting for the oil filter valve cover gasket to arrive so I can get her oiled up again, do some valve clearance checks, replace that crap Athena valve cover gasket, and give everything a good once over.

sigpic

Comment

Hi Pete, thanks for the kind words about the shine mate. Yeah, the calipers are a bit sad so along with the side and centre stand, airbox plates and cowl frame they are off to be satin black powder-coated later this year then it will be a bit more presentable in the company of your 450E Project.

Its a specification issue with the springs not oil, it still uses 15W fork oil with a couple of extra ml above the 227ml to compensate for the internal mods to the anti-dive units.

Good to see the ride with John went well and no problems for the 450. I know what you mean about gaskets, some work and some don't which is why I just pay the extra now and get genuine and know they work. Speaking of oil I need to change the engine oil and filter before the 5th. I'll have an update on the braking and handling once the spring issue has been sorted, cheers.
                          Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 01-22-2012, 09:01 AM.
                          Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Hi Pete, thanks for the kind words about the shine mate. Yeah, the calipers are a bit sad so along with the side and centre stand, airbox plates and cowl frame they are off to be satin black powder-coated later this year then it will be a bit more presentable in the company of your 450E Project.

Its a specification issue with the springs not oil, it still uses 15W fork oil with a couple of extra ml above the 227ml to compensate for the internal mods to the anti-dive units.

Good to see the ride with John went well and no problems for the 450. I know what you mean about gaskets, some work and some don't which is why I just pay the extra now and get genuine and know they work. Speaking of oil I need to change the engine oil and filter before the 5th. I'll have an update on the braking and handling once the spring issue has been sorted, cheers.
                            Good stuff! Hopefully the springs are all good and you can get them in with no dramas.

As for the caliper... don't look too closely at mine! I'll give you a tip... do the powder coating like you're planning, don't use 3M caliper paint... it's crap. I know my prep was good and I baked it just like the can said, but it's just not as good a finish as I'd hoped... oh well you live and learn right? Just like the gasket

Looking forward to the update!

sigpic

Comment

I started checking the charging problem on my 81 1000GL yesterday. Getting some resistance values between my stator and chassis ground, got to do ac voltage test today. Also checked gear oil levels, the engine side was down enough to cause concern, jeez the PO could have not checked it in ages. Luckily I have spares if needed. One thing I have learned, most of these old bikes have not been maintained as they should have and just because it looks good don't necessarily mean the internals are good.

Comment

Checked stator voltages, 70 volts at 4000 RPM. So I changed the regulator/rectifier and got the charging voltage up to 13.5, got to clean the connections now. The bike would not turn over very well, had to use 2 batteries so I swapped out the starter with a spare, works great now. You can change out the starter without removing the carbs by the way. Let your fingers do the walking.

New project: 1981 GS1000GL.

Comment

Working...
                                X