No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made a bracket for my Acewell speed sensor last night and got the lock on the battery box cover.

Got it all almost ready for paint, just need to do some smoothing and rounding of sharp edges and give it all a sand and clean.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

New exhaust fitted to the 250T to replace the sorry looking 2 into 1 Micron.
      Bought the used headers off ebay and had them shipped to the UK, after a bit of cleaning, paint and polishing they came up nice.
      Mufflers are a pair of cheapo megaphones off ebay UK - and they are well f**king loud!
      I will attempt to link pics from photobucket, not really sure how it works, here goes...

Before...

Headers...

On the bike...

Comment

Looks good. How did you get those down pipes to clean up so well.
        80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

WOW!!!!
          How the heck DID you get those pipes so nice!!!
          Simply amazing!!!

Eric

Comment

Thanks for the compliments guys, I used my tried and tested de-rusting/pitting technique.
            Take one Stanley (utility) knife blade and gently fret away at the worst of the rust at a very shallow angle a bit like scraping away old gasket, next I worked on it with Britemax Easy Cut metal polish and a lot of elbow grease, finally a good coat of Meguiars NXT metal polish and yet more elbow grease and buffing to a really good shine. I ended up with very achey arms and sore fingers but it's a small price to pay for a good result. Oh and the mild steel collector box was degreased, rubbed down with scotchbrite abrasive pads and sprayed with black VHT aerosol paint.

Jon.
            Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2012, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Holy crap about the pipes polishing up, I'll have to write that one down.

This weekend I got around to tuning up the VX and changing the cables. Got to use my Morgan Carbtune for the first time and man is that thing slick.

Comment

I've been working on the G (Baglady). Creating a back rest for my wife to lean against, from salvage yard pieces. Working on the cheap like always. So far between the rack($25), and back rest bar($20), pad (a little small,$5), stainless spacers and bolts ($19.47), and 1/8 scrap aluminum diamond plate ($5.20). Shoot, now that I ad it all together, I guess its not so cheap.($74.67) Oh well, it came out alright for miss matched parts. Still need a few new nuts and bolts, and eventually a pad that is sized right for it. It makes my better half happy for now and we all know if the wife's not happy, neither are we. In case you single guys didn't know that, now you do!

Last edited by gsrick; 03-20-2012, 08:55 AM.
                GSRick
                No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Boy View Post
                  New exhaust fitted to the 250T to replace the sorry looking 2 into 1 Micron.
                  Bought the used headers off ebay and had them shipped to the UK, after a bit of cleaning, paint and polishing they came up nice.
                  Mufflers are a pair of cheapo megaphones off ebay UK - and they are well f**king loud!
                  I will attempt to link pics from photobucket, not really sure how it works, here goes...

Before...

Headers...

On the bike...

Thanks for the compliments guys, I used my tried and tested de-rusting/pitting technique.
                  Take one Stanley (utility) knife blade and gently fret away at the worst of the rust at a very shallow angle a bit like scraping away old gasket, next I worked on it with Britemax Easy Cut metal polish and a lot of elbow grease, finally a good coat of Meguiars NXT metal polish and yet more elbow grease and buffing to a really good shine. I ended up with very achey arms and sore fingers but it's a small price to pay for a good result. Oh and the mild steel collector box was degreased, rubbed down with scotchbrite abrasive pads and sprayed with black VHT aerosol paint.

Jon.
                  Wow that is one seriously nice 250!!! Awesome job, especially on the pipes!!

And to think all I got done was painting the battery box cover and Acewell speed sensor bracket

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Pete, I am quite pleased with the bike now, it's my daily ride whilst restore job.
                    Quite a few new and decent used bits and a DIY rattle tin paint job has brought it on from when I got it...

Comment

Thanks Pete, I am quite pleased with the bike now, it's my daily ride whilst restore job.
                      Quite a few new and decent used bits and a DIY rattle tin paint job has brought it on from when I got it...
                      Excellent, looks like you had a pretty decent starting point too! Good work

sigpic

Comment

I wrenched on my 82 and got 2 brand new tires on. Bring on the warm weather

Comment

Windjammer w/ Piaas and...

Reinstalled the windjammer today. I had to remove it because the windshield broke in two a couple weeks ago. My original thought was that I was going to take it off for the summer, but I seem to enjoy riding more with it on. At least with the weather still being fairly cold...
                          While at it, I decided to install some small, superbright Piaa driving lights that I had installed on my Jeep. I also installed a 12 volt charger for my phone, etc on the long, multi-state rides I am wanting to go on in the future.
                          The new windshield should be here tomorrow and I'll be ready to go!!
                          Here are a couple obligatory photos:

Comment

Dusted the 74 Z1A off today, put fuel in and gave the bike a quick checkover and a short test ride... tomorrow it'll be used to go to work.

Over the weekend, I need to get my ratty GS1000 running again so I can use that as a commuter bike.

Comment

Jon.
                              Damn man. That is an awesome job. I think I might have to try this. Although mine just has rusty crap at a couple welds it looks like.

I didn't get to wrench on my bike. ****ing shop is taking their sweet time with it. If they aren't done friday, I'm going to be ****ed.
                              But I did go get some new gear. Returned my crappy mesh jacket in for a warm leather jacket. Also picked up a set of warmer gloves. And, the thing I'm most excited about, a set of rain pants. Now I can ride to work in the mornings when it is wet without my jeans getting soaked.

Comment

WAS going to put in the replacement stator from my parts bike, but after inspection, found several burnt windings. New stator and new r/r on order. I did pull the clutch cover to clean the oil sight glass and paint it to match the other covers. Thinking about adding an LED inside the cover to light the sight glass. So, for now she sits once again in partial tear down waiting for parts.

Grrr!

Comment

Working...
                                X