No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok, because of the title, im posting here, i started wrenching on my new 79 gs1000 today, come to find that someone prior had coated the inside of the tank, and now that coating is peeling heavily, any ideas
    or am i screwed and need a new tank
    Last edited by Guest; 03-21-2012, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rodman101 View Post
      ok, because of the title, im posting here, i started wrenching on my new 79 gs1000 today, come to find that someone prior had coated the inside of the tank, and now that coating is peeling heavily, any ideas
      or am i screwed and need a new tank
      You're NOT screwed...not fully, at least! You don't need a new tank IMHO.

But you DO have a bit of work ahead of you. You need to completely dissolve the old liner out of the tank. This is a messy, tedious job, and must be done very carefully if you wish to protect the paint. It also involves fair quantities of nasty chemicals. Sounds like fun, eh?

FWIW, I went through this on my pristine '84 900 Ninja. IIRC, I melted the old liner out with MEK. Then I re-coated the tank with KREEM. It's been in there for 12+ years with zero problems. If you choose to recoat with KREEM, you MUST follow the directions to the letter...otherwise you'll wonder who would sell such a diabolical product!

There are other liner products out there that some folks prefer. Or you can just clean/de-rust the tank real well and go with a disposable inline fuel filter.

Good Luck!

Comment

sounds good, guess ill start on that, not too worried bout the tank paint, as it will be repainted before install, any good chemicals to use, and im guessing its a soak, shake, rinse and repeat type of deal

Comment

Originally posted by rodman101 View Post
          sounds good, guess ill start on that, not too worried bout the tank paint, as it will be repainted before install, any good chemicals to use, and im guessing its a soak, shake, rinse and repeat type of deal
          Pretty much. Toss a few handfuls of steel washers or clean pea gravel in there also. Offers mechanical scouring action, which helps a lot. Oh, and if your bike has a fuel gauge, remember to pull the sending unit out of the tank first, or you'll likely kill it.

As for chemicals, you may wish to start with something less aggressive (mineral spirits paint thinner perhaps?), then ramp up from there...acetone, paint stripper, dilute muriatic acid, etc.

I'm fairly certain I went straight for the MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) on the ZX900...it didn't take long!

Work in a well-ventilated area, and wear eye protection and HEAVY chemical gloves rated for whatever you choose to work with. Work safely.

Comment

awesome, will keep everyone updated, seems u guys like that sort of thing, and im new here, lol

Comment

86 gsxr 1100? Swinger fitted into 82 gs11e frame. Quick question are any other tanks direct bolt on? Dont need ti match seat

Comment

Measured the front tyre circumference preparing for the Acewell install on Saturday...
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Tuesday I installed my new back tire on the 1100G. Took it for a ride, and the Shendengen r/r quit working. So, I had to park it, ordered up another one and put it on today. Now she's working again, the radio is working funny, but it's charging like it's supposed to anyway. Riding the 850 isn't an option, I'm still waiting for my tach cable (stole it for the 1100), and I haven't done some of the much needed neglected maintenance on it. It also need new tires.

Comment

Got my Berrymans the other day, been soakin carbs n parts, polishing rails, bowls and whatnots... looking forward to rebuild and bench sync. Got my o ring kit from Mr Barr.... A+ , item as described, fast shipping, great GS'er. ha ha
                    ps would appreciate any suggestions in this thread :
                    Place your 4 cylinder GS engine, drivetrain or clutch related questions in this forum.

Comment

I finally figured out how to get the male terminals out of my crimper without gushing blood everywhere. So, my wiring harness is about done and ready to go back on the bike.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

After work today the leaking #2 carb float bowl drain gets a new o-ring, the engine gets new oil and filter, and the clutch gets new OEM springs.

Comment

Got some more done on the bracket for the Acewell, seems to be coming together so far.
                          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Well, after repairing the leak, it is now clear that it's time for a full carb rebuild. I expect it to take every evening this week and hope to ride the GS again on Saturday. Good thing I have another bike.

Comment

finally got sick of the stripped out oil-drain bolt, ordered a new pan. Dealer calls today and says it's on back-order, no idea when it'll show up. All I need to ride, too!
                              1983 GS1100E

Comment

Have cleaned and dipped carbs, final clean and polish before reassembly.

Comment

Working...
                                X