what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put the colortune to my 750T and was pretty impressed with it-
    I was pretty close on 1, 2 and 4 but 3 was really lean. It runs like a demon now!
    80's tomorrow and 70's next week- time for the payoff!

Comment

Front brakes again. I hate the "premature whoo-hoo," but I might actually have made things better today.

It had been stopping fine, but the lever had a lot of travel. Just didn't feel right and that bothered me every time I used the brake.

It was kind of messy this a.m., so I decided to give it another go. Took the MC apart to confirm that the seal was set properly inside. Pulled it off the bike and spent some quality time bench bleeding it. Managed to get brake fluid everywhere, but that's par for the course around here.

Pulled the stainless lines off and found TWO crush washers on the inside of caliper banjo bolt. Obviously an idiot mechanic worked on it last. Retightened the ends on the stainless steel lines, installed new crush washers (thanks again, Brian) and reinstalled everything.

Spent a long time bleeding the system and the pull is shorter and the impact is much greater. So far, a win for the home team.

Had to use them while in a test run. Flock of Canadian Geese launched in front of me. (Urgent call to Canada. Come get those things. They are a nuisance.)

Comment

I did a vacuum sync and set the pilot screws (they're still a tad rich though) and took it for a test ride. HOLY CRAP this thing pulls like a bat out of hell now, I thought itwas pretty quick before but with the larger mains it screams.

I was short lived though because I keep blowing the main fuse, luckily I had a few spares on hand. Whatever blew the fuse before got worse so I need to go over the wiring again this weekend.

Comment

More work on the garage dumbwaiter:

This is one of the four lift pulleys and bracket for the cables.

Here it is, installed.

This is a shot of one of the main cable anchor supports. There are two.

And this is what it looks like in place, with the cable attached.

I still need to make at least one horizontal "rail" with a set of rollers on it, so that the platform lifts vertical from the rear. I'll get there...

Comment

Cool, Dave, I think I can imagine what you need... should work well
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

At first she ran MUCH better with the 4-1 installed, but then the same thing happened. Massive backfires, and full stop.
              Plugs are black and lots of carbon, so she's running way rich.
              I don't quite know where to start now.

Valve clearances were on the tight side, but I don't get how that would cause it to run rich.

I didn't touch the pilot jet or air screw when I cleaned the carbs, as recommended in the service manual. Was that dumb?

The petcock leaks a little when I remove the main gas hose. Can this be the problem?
              (It did before as well, though, and it ran nicely then...)

Where should I start looking tomorrow? Take carbs off again? And do what?

I was so looking forward to a ride today, but no joy.

Comment

Hovmod, the popping and back fire sounds like a timing issue. Though a timing light on it. If you still have points I would sh*t can them and go for a Dyna igniton. Coils are a good investment also. I don't know what do you guys think?
                My Motorcycles:
                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                79 1000e (all original)
                82 850g (all original)
                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool
                    Start that build thread....we'll help ya along the way!!!!!!
                    Here you go, mate: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=197963

Thanks!

Comment

Real minor stuff today. Tore the instrument panel down and replaced a couple of burned out lights. Now have all five gear indicators working and I can see both side of my speedometer at night.

Have a deuce of a time getting the speedometer to read correctly, but that's just a matter of getting the cable to seat properly. Should have been riding, but sometimes life demands get in the way.

Comment

Started to tear down the clutch on my poor neglected little Kawi KH100.
                        It's been slipping for awhile soooo in we go to see what's up.
                        Was thinking of cleaning the carb (tiny little thing ) but the bike runs great so I'll likely leave well enough alone for a while.

Comment

Replaced speedometer cable on the Suzuki and sliders on my Aprilia, and helped son to work on the rear turning lights on his Beemer. Not pleasant. No garage space, so worked outside in 100+ heat here in Southern Ca.

Comment

Spent weekend tearing the bike apart. New pistons and rings and rebuilt carbs. Test ride tonight looks good. This 850 chain drive is pretty sexy. Torque must be French for hard on.

Comment

Steve stopped over this weekend and we had a great time workng on the bikes

Cooley

Checked the electricals... I had replaced most parts and was still not getting the bike to charge. Primary solution ended up being the addition of a ground wire.

The connectors on the stator I had installed were also suspect, very poor connections were redone.

Interesting find under the tank was a connection for turn signals.....time for some trick lighting!

Replaced the stock front springs with progressives and adjusted the rears....very nice improvement.

1974 Honda 450k

Bike hadn't been running in many years.
                              1) Adjusted valve clearance.
                              2) Cleaned carbs.
                              3) Replaced cables 9clutch/throttle.
                              4) Repalced fuel lines.

The bike fired up and sounded decent.... But, the rpm's take off after a minute or so......we have some investigating to do!!

Thanks for stopping by Steve.
                              Last edited by Vmass; 08-13-2012, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
                                Steve stopped over this weekend and we had a great time workng on the bikes

Thanks for stopping by Steve.
                                Super Steve strikes again.
                                Was he wearing his cape?

Eric

Comment

Working...
                                X