No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did a complete top end rebuild on my 80 1000G over the last month. The usual stuff, dismantle, clean, paint, valve stem seals, lap valves, clean and paint cylinder block then hone. The only thing of note is that I removed the jugs and machined both faces in a cnc machine with a fly cutter tool taking about 20 thou off in total, gave me clean and distortion free surfaces to work with. I put it all back together, torqued the head, set the timing, shimmed the valves and put all the bits on. I started it up and took her for a short run, bogging under acceleration, gotta re-sync the carbs and see what happens. It took me about 80 hours to do, as this was my first crack at it. I rebuilt a complete spare top-end and then swapped it out with the old one, now will rebuild those bits over the winter and put in 1100 pistons for my 81 1000L. Compression numbers look decent, 130-140 PSI, should get a bit better once the rings are run in.

By the way, anyone try those 1100 piston kits on ebay for 140.00? Damn good price if they work.

Cheers

John

Comment

Tore down and cleaned up my leaf blower/vac. Found that the piston ring was in three pieces. That and a gummed up carb explain why it wasn't starting. Guessing I need a new fuel filter too. Need to get this thing running before the trees REALLY start dropping leaves. Any tips on how to compress the ring (just the single ring) to get it back into the head?

Comment

Try the back side of an old serpentine belt. Wrap it around the piston and squeeze the ends tight. tap tap tap and you're in like flynn.
        Matos law: Murphy was a lucky B@stard!
        1979 GS850GN
        sigpic

In memory of Dave "Gonzo" Steele
        1975-2008

Comment

Gave the little e30 a good claying and polish to restore the shine.
          Then started to detail the engine compartment, got the valve cover done and.........that was about it.
          Lots more to go.

Before

A few hours later

Comment

Superbike bars put on upside down (and flipped) are actually pretty comfy. Sporty but it should be easier on the back then clubmans. I was looking at some Woodcraft clipons but I think I'm just going to stay with my superbikes.

Comment

Flyboy, those valve covers look really good and what a difference it makes!

Comment

Thanks Wally, still a lot to do, the engine bay looks really tatty, she is starting to show her 470 000+ km now.

Comment

I've been helping a friend prep his Norton 850 Commando for the market. It has only 4,775 miles on it, so it should sell fairly quckly.

Comment

I replaced the rear brake caliper on the RD400. The rearsets had to come off to adjust the pedal height and linkage. Bleeding was a bitch.

I changed the oil in my mom's Smart car too. 3.5 quarts of Mobil 1. I set the tire pressures on it correctly, and reset the tire pressure monitor.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Started workin on changing to 83' 1100e wheels from SaltyMonk(dan) and 83' shocks from GregB (greg). ALso have new sprockets going on also. And a black 83 chain guard from Dan also. Headlight ears from Elcorneus and a headlight bucket and headlight from another member.
                      Picked up some new bars, oil cooler and steering damper from Joe W...(thanks for the nice powdercoated bars Joe)
                      Ratchet straps to the rafters was the best I could do to get the bike up with my bum arm....working nicely tho.
                      Shocks are polished up, gotta polish the mags and get the rubber on and I will have the back end put back together soon. Schwing!

Comment

Finally got to do something for the first time in many weeks... made a camera mount for my new little video camera to mount on the handlebars.

Unfortunately Photobucket is refusing to cooperate so no pic's at present even though I have some...
                        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Photobucket is still &%#%#ing me off... playing with a beta and constantly giving connection errors... but I did get the photos up:

Now if I can just get the eBay seller to send me a 32GB MicroSDHC card that is *not* faulty I can give it a proper test ready for the next GSR run... my working 1GB card only lasts about 10 minutes before it's full...
                          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

'95 Mazda hasn't had power at low RPM for several days, so I checked the rotor and distributor cap. Both have corrosion and burning on contacts. There was rust between the rotor and the end of the camshaft (???). Replacement parts and sanding off the rust fixed the problem.

Why would these parts fail after only 19,000 miles?
                            sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

RM250 maintenance,Consisting of a leakdown test compression test,seal any leaks and inspect the reeds.Clean and tune the carb doing plug chops and make this thing run right for this 12 year old that rides like a madman,very talented he is.
                              ,a chrysler minivan 3.3 water pump,
                              Blaster maintenance,
                              oil change in the 1150,some riding then chillin for the night.

Comment

picked up this 86 a couple of weeks ago, non runner with the carbs apart in baggies, all cables and controls off handlebars, dead battery, no brakes, etc. but its a really nice, clean, low mileage bike.
                                re-assembled the carbs, rounded up the obligatory missing parts (thanks frankenzuki!), waited for the rubber pilot plugs to come in from bike bandit.
                                everything got here mid week so i got the carbs on, ran the cables and tried to start it. dead short was frying the ignition fuse every time i turned on the power. a local guy helped me figure it out. took it on a ride and the bike is sweet.
                                so what did i wrench on today to keep in theme with the title of this thread? bled the brakes and installed a new gel battery. tomorrow adjust/lube the chain, clean/oil the k&n's, change the oil and take it out for a real ride.

oh, and intalled a new used front fender on my 85 to replace the one the p.o's dog chewed on.
                                Last edited by Guest; 10-19-2012, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X