No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my new Shinko 230 mounted and balanced tonight, first time I ever did a mc tire, easy peasy. Did the ziptie method. Dont be scared to do it yourself, I did it with only one arm. Good advice from Bwinger (I think it was) on lining up the red dot with the heavy spot on the rim for balancing..... only needed one 1/4 oz weight, couldnt get the wheel to stop at the same place.
    First time and all, I kept adding air to the tire to about 50psi and the bead wouldnt pop.....then sitting there contemplating my next move, lost in deep thought, POP....lol It scurred me! lol. A second later got the other pop. Sweet.
    Got the new sprockets put on, except I cant find my new front sprocket nut fold over washer....it'll turn up.
    good stuff...I like wrenchin.

Comment

Originally posted by wes cooley View Post

Very very clean looking 1150! Looks like it came off the showroom floor!

Comment

Is it normal for the cam chain guide thing to come out when you pull the engine?

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
          Got my new Shinko 230 mounted and balanced tonight, first time I ever did a mc tire, easy peasy. Did the ziptie method. Dont be scared to do it yourself, I did it with only one arm. Good advice from Bwinger (I think it was) on lining up the red dot with the heavy spot on the rim for balancing..... only needed one 1/4 oz weight, couldnt get the wheel to stop at the same place.
          First time and all, I kept adding air to the tire to about 50psi and the bead wouldnt pop.....then sitting there contemplating my next move, lost in deep thought, POP....lol It scurred me! lol. A second later got the other pop. Sweet.
          Got the new sprockets put on, except I cant find my new front sprocket nut fold over washer....it'll turn up.
          good stuff...I like wrenchin.
          Changed the front myself with help, but took it in for the rear.

For future reference, what is the "ziptie method"?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by pmong View Post
            Changed the front myself with help, but took it in for the rear.

For future reference, what is the "ziptie method"?

Thanks.
            you use 4 or 5 big zip ties to squeeze the tire together before you put it on the rim. it just shrinks it a bit to help it slide on easier. I guess it worked ok, lol , my tire is on. There are videos on you tube.
            Just search zip tie tire change.

Comment

Get some monster zip ties, wrap about eight of them around the tire to hold the beads together, to make it easier to get the tire on the rim. Then remove the zip ties, and seat the beads in the normal fashion.

I tried it once, and it seemed to me that it was beginning to distort the beads. Since a distorted bead usually doesn't seal properly, I removed the zip ties quickly and tried other methods to mount the tire.
              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Son and I worked on our bikes this weekend, bicycles that is, a break from attending to the motorcycles. He got two cycles on Saturday, a new Nashbar from the internet, surprisingly good and light no-name rebranded Chinese bicycle, and a 1960s Humber from a friend, an English model famous for the "running men" chain ring and made by Raleigh. The older bike is a restoration/recondition project, not much different than for a GS, requiring removing rust and accumulated crud, repacking bearings and other moving parts, replacing cables and rubber parts, cleaning and lubricating chain, dealing with electrical, etc. Only faster and easier. Good things that skills from one type of project is transferable to the other type.

Comment

Originally posted by pmong View Post
                  Son and I worked on our bikes this weekend, bicycles that is, a break from attending to the motorcycles. He got two cycles on Saturday, a new Nashbar from the internet, surprisingly good and light no-name rebranded Chinese bicycle, and a 1960s Humber from a friend, an English model famous for the "running men" chain ring and made by Raleigh. The older bike is a restoration/recondition project, not much different than for a GS, requiring removing rust and accumulated crud, repacking bearings and other moving parts, replacing cables and rubber parts, cleaning and lubricating chain, dealing with electrical, etc. Only faster and easier. Good things that skills from one type of project is transferable to the other type.
                  My first "ten speed" was a Schwinn Varsity, that I bought 3 weeks before starting college in 1969. I couldn't afford a car, so it was my primary transportation for 6 years. It served me very well. But I wish that I had spent $40 more, and bought a Raleigh Super Course, which was a very sweet bicycle for the price. Very sweet.
                  sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Unfortunately, my work bench is covered by about 5 different projects - First, I'm rebuilding a Hinomoto diesel tractor starter that is no longer available. Second, I have a M-1 Gerand with a bent operation rod that I have field stripped. Third, I'm rebuilding a older Craftsman crackerbox welder. Fourth, I have antique brass fire extinguisher that I'm refinishing, and finally, I'm putting in a new gate on my back fence and I have cables and hardware waiting to be mounted once I concrete the new post in the ground.

I need to get them all finished before jumping into something else...
                    Hap

Comment

Welder and other Fixes!

Hap - I just finished rebuilding a 230 amp AC Forney buzz box welder last night! Small world... Got new output post nut/holder things, new 220 fan motor and fan, and cleaned all connections and put on new #4 lead and clamp and electrode holder. Amazing amount of dirt and wasp nests and such inside old box. Cleaned coils really well and MAN! Will that thing burn! It is from 1970, every piece USA made and I am really happy with it.
                      It's just like old bikes and trucks and such. I like the way that they used to be made - I have a Delta/Rockwell drill press from 1947 and same age bandsaw, and tons of other old tools and lamps and such that I have rebuilt and repurposed.
                      if it's old and rusty and unwanted... I probably will take it home and make it work!
                      Ozarkdrb

Comment

Reassemble my 650E carbs early this morning. Synced. Gotta bench test to make sure they are not leaking and change the oil and I will be ready to test fire this gal. Good stuff.
                        (all of course after I fight the airbox for a sufficient amount of time)

Comment

Frank Z and I took the engine out of the 73 Yamaha TX750 and then removed the head for the head gasket replacement, tore the head down so the seats can be refreshed. Gonna remove the side covers and polish those. Also gonne repaint the jugs and head, remove the oil pan and be sure the screen is clean. Your basic refurbish and engine clean up service.
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Tree branches above my house rain leaves and other debris on the rood. That clogs gutters that overflow. Water falling next to the foundation gets into the crawl spaces, and sometimes seeps through cement block walls into the basement. I've been trimming the overhanging branches to the maximum safe extent, cleaning gutters, and installing gutter covers.

The foundation in the center is the cement block basement. The wings on each side have a poured concrete foundation surrounding the crawl space. The idiots who built the house did not tie the two together. There is a gap of about 2 to 3 feet between the two. After 50 years, soil from the outside is gradually seeping in the gap, and at one point, the infiltration reaches the surface. Critters have sometimes entered. I am trying to figure out how to fill the gap with cement blocks, after which I can backfill soil on the outside, to reestablish a slope away from the house.
                            sigpic[Tom]

Comment

Starting to restore my 1973 John Deere ten speed bike...it has waited long enough.
                              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I wrench on nothing lately,Badly destroyed collar bone,it SUX

Comment

Working...
                                X