what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smokinapankake View Post
    MMMMM.... Wire wheel Katana. So what did you do to it?
    This is a different bike, than the first wire wheeled Katana. If that makes sense? I picked this one up a couple of weeks ago. She is wearing Beloved's old clothes. I scored a great set of Mikuni RS 34 carbs, with new K&N filters. Gordon

Comment

Mini Restoration

This '78 GS1000 was first restored/modified over the winters of '99 and 2000. After 12 years it had a certain amount of wear and tear. Stone chips and the like. It was the June, '05 BOM which was a big deal for me. A lot of people seemed to like this bike especially the Dutch and the British.

Did a mini- restoration this summer as the painter I use was idle. Repainted all the discs and sprocket, side covers, front fender. Installed the Marving race pipe in the early spring but had to modify it. Cut out the center of the cap, made my own baffle and chromed the cap as well as the chain adjusters. The Marving pipe works extremely well and completely solved my ground clearance problem. Had the wheels off to get new rubber and polished the rims. Took some pics before I put it away for the winter and here they are.

Comment

Helped a buddy of mine with a race car and his cafe Guzzi.
        Had a Fiat that is raced in historic class that was throwing oil out of what seemed to be the cam boxes, turned out the leak was coming from the front cam seals, popped two new ones in, and she is good as new.

Nothing like a bank of Dollorto carbs to make horse power

I accidentally tripped over my buffing wheel and made up some shiny bits for my buddy's cafe Guzzi build, started life as a Guzzi California, full dresser.

Sorry about the cell phone pics, no camera with me.

Comment

That Guzzi would look so much better without the pipe wrap and that scribbling on the side covers.

Comment

I agree, I don't really know what the fascination is with pipe wrap, and the covers don't do it for me either.

Comment

While I have 32GB of storage on the video camera, I fear a 3 hour charge won't cut it for this Sunday's combined GSR/Kat forum run, so long/overnight working hours this week gave me enough spare time Tuesday to move my cigarette lighter/aux power socket.

I was able to use the same bracket I made for under the seat and just bolted it under one of the handlebar clamp bolts instead, but I retained the separate weather proof on/off switch under the electrics plate so I can still have it on independently of the ignition.

Switched on and all is good, gave it a test run on the way into work again last night and home again early hours of this morning.

Only thing I had to do was a run of velcro around the USB power adaptor as the vibrations let it start to work its way out of the socket and turn the camera off.
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Today I applied the wrenches to the horns on my '82 GS1100E. Both horns did work, but they were always weak, not anything like the strong sounding ones on my GS1000E. But they're horns, not a show stopper which is what I always thought. I kept thinking I'll pick up a set on E-bay someday. But yesterday when I tired to get my friends attention to let him know I was running low on gas, they got completely drowned out by my engine and his Harley with straight pipes. So, I decided to investigate further, first I checked and cleaned connections, then adjusted those tone screws, took the front cover off and cleaned, then lubed eveything with WD-40. Nothing I was doing was improving them. As I continued playing with them, I squeezed the front cover on one side of one horn, bingo! So I took off the cover again seeing there were two washers underneath. OK I thought, what would it do with only one washer? So I left out one washer and the horn worked great. Now for the other one. Same thing, left out one washer and now I have a set of great sounding horns. Guess I don't have to search for a set on E-bay after all.
                sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                  Today I applied the wrenches to the horns on my '82 GS1100E. Both horns did work, but they were always weak, not anything like the strong sounding ones on my GS1000E. But they're horns, not a show stopper which is what I always thought. I kept thinking I'll pick up a set on E-bay someday. But yesterday when I tired to get my friends attention to let him know I was running low on gas, they got completely drowned out by my engine and his Harley with straight pipes. So, I decided to investigate further, first I checked and cleaned connections, then adjusted those tone screws, took the front cover off and cleaned, then lubed eveything with WD-40. Nothing I was doing was improving them. As I continued playing with them, I squeezed the front cover on one side of one horn, bingo! So I took off the cover again seeing there were two washers underneath. OK I thought, what would it do with only one washer? So I left out one washer and the horn worked great. Now for the other one. Same thing, left out one washer and now I have a set of great sounding horns. Guess I don't have to search for a set on E-bay after all.
                  Any pictures showing how to do it/what you did?

Comment

Originally posted by GSScoobie View Post
                    Any pictures showing how to do it/what you did?
                    I know, it didn't happen because I didn't take pictures. But.............
                    I can show you the picture of the finished product! and the two washers I removed. Never thought about pictures, I basically disconnected the two wires that supplied the voltage, unbolted the horn from the bike, unscrewed the tone adjustment screw out completely, took the acorn nut and associated washers off which held the cover (for lack of a better word) and took off the cover. The two washers were underneath that bolt which held on the cover. Sprayed and cleaned the electrical connections and shot some WD-40 in all the orifaces, put it back together the same way except I left out one of the washers that went underneath the cover. Maybe with that extra washer in there the cover was too far out from the horn to work properly, as it's done by electromagnet. Regardless of why, it works great now!
                    sigpic
                    Steve

Comment

I didn't realize that they came apart. Thanks for the explanation. I will give it a try.

Comment

Not a GS but still fun

Chagnged the oil and tightened everything up. Just swapped a $1500 Pathfinder for this. It has 27k miles and probably $5,000 in go-faster and handling upgrades. Upgraded Progressive suspension, 17 inch wheels (with a 190 rear tire), R-1 brakes, carbon fiber/titanium exhaust, switchable V-Boost, etc. What fun. When I have the V-Boost activated from idle it is almost hard to keep the front end down. :knary:
                        1996 V-Max 1200

Comment

Originally posted by GSScoobie View Post
                          I didn't realize that they came apart. Thanks for the explanation. I will give it a try.
                          In my case I didn't have anything to lose, so I could haphazardly do what I wanted since I didn't expect to gain any good result from anything I tried. That center bolt which holds on the cover is attached to a closed rubber diaphragm. There were two washers between the cover and the diaphragm. On one side the washers were the same size, on the other
                          I had a large and a small one. I figured the smaller one changed the pitch so I left it in there, but it didn't work too well with that so I changed it back to the bigger one. Also, those pitch adjusting screws killed them if they were screwed in to deep. So I backed them out for a good tone once I got them working. Don't know about yours, but I think those two (extra) washers I found in mine were not supposed to be in there.
                          sigpic
                          Steve

Comment

You sir, are a thief!
                            It won't be such a bargain when you have to keep replacing the rear tire. lol.
                            I love the sound of those brutes with performance pipes.

Originally posted by Doby View Post
                            Chagnged the oil and tightened everything up. Just swapped a $1500 Pathfinder for this. It has 27k miles and probably $5,000 in go-faster and handling upgrades. Upgraded Progressive suspension, 17 inch wheels (with a 190 rear tire), R-1 brakes, carbon fiber/titanium exhaust, switchable V-Boost, etc. What fun. When I have the V-Boost activated from idle it is almost hard to keep the front end down. :knary:
                            1996 V-Max 1200
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                              You sir, are a thief!
                              It won't be such a bargain when you have to keep replacing the rear tire. lol.
                              I love the sound of those brutes with performance pipes.
                              Yep, I can see a new rear tire in my future every 3,000 miles or so. LOL, looking forward to it.

Comment

As a change from the GS, decided to get my XV750 back on the road. She has been sat in the garage over a year now because of carb problems, had a bad misfire on the front pot. Took the carbs off, stripped and cleaned them then put them back on, after a struggle. Not the easiest arrangement to work on with both carbs being sat between the cylinders !. To cut a long story short all wasted work, still missing on front pot. It was definitely fuel as I used prime on the petcock to fill the bowls, she started up and ran great for a few minutes before missing again. Suspected its a problem in the vacuum lines but anyway, got p....d off with it so the bike was put away. I`ve decided now to bin the standard carbs and do a single carb conversion using an SU from my old Morris Minor. Read up on a few forums about it, so this afternoon started on a temporary manifold. The SU is a very simple carb, so if it works out ok it will be a doddle to tune up and be a lot more accessible too. If nothing else it will be an interesting little project.
                                "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
                                1978 GS750
                                1979 GS750 chop
                                1979 GS550
                                2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
                                2000 Enfield Bullet 500
                                1992 XV750 Virago
                                2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Working...
                                X