No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had to replace the glow plug harness on the jetta so I could clear the codes and get through emissions testing... success! now I just have to replace the vacuum lines and the VNT control valve so I can get my turbo boost back up to normal levels.

Comment

Don't know if it counts as wrenching. 24k gold plated a couple parts today. A transmission cover for a friend and a tail light bezel for myself. Thought the bezel would look cool on the chrome housing, but after fitting it...I gotta do the whole housing too.

Comment

Did the rest of it.

Comment

Finally ordered a new fuse block for the old beater Zuke today. It's cold and wet here, want the old beast back on the road again.

Comment

I hammered (riveted) these .050 plates on the side of this Baron so the ice flying off the props wont beat the nose baggage.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Assembled the starter for my bike today.
              Couple of weeks ago went to start it, smoke curled up from the back of the engine. Pulled the carbs and the starter cover and tried again. Sure enough, smoke. Pulled the starter and took it apart, and hard plastic bits fell out. The hard plastic insulator surrounding the 12V input bolt had broken. Also the armature was covered in some sort of gray fluid. Cleaned it all up, put JB weld around the bolt (thanks Brian) and waited for it to dry. Had to dremel all the extra epoxy away so all the parts would fit back together (giant PITA), cleaned and regreased the reduction gear (curious, but it has one), cleaned the armature so it is all shiny copper again, put it all together.
              Would have installed it, but it was late and my garage is in the 40s. Went ahead and put the battery tender on the battery so it will be ready to go.
              While the carbs are off I am going to install one size smaller pilot jets (back to stock) so I can dial the idle in a bit easier.

Comment

Been working on my Rebel to put it back on the road. Replaced the rear signals and mounts, pulled and cleaned the carbs and airbox. Adjusted the valves and pulled the handlebars to see if I can straighten them a bit.

Will be replaceing the front signals and doing break fluid change. Charging a new bat for the old girl and need to flush the gas tank.
                V
                Gustov
                80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                81 GS 1000 G
                79 GS 850 G
                81 GS 850 L
                83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                80 GS 550 L
                86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                2002 Honda 919
                2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I have been building a BD4 for several years now it is nearing completion, a few more instruments, a littler more wiring, upholstery, and I will be cruising at 180 MPH in the sky.

Comment

Forgot to update this thread yesterday... got the stuck cotter pin out of the Malvern Star pedal crank so I could finally do a test fit of the Ducati on it and make sure it fits with proper 28" forks etc.

Then tonight I assembled the counter shaft sprocket and idler gear mechanism as a bit of a tutorial for someone else who has no idea how it fits together.
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Been under the weather the last week or so, haven't felt like working on the bike....or anything for that matter.
                      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

finally bit the bullet and bought a PC-8 for the Suzuki. I have something wired in that's temporary but I don't like it. When it comes I'm going to build a relay harness for the switched leads, already have the relays and such.

Other than that I installed some running lights yesterday, and go figure blew a fuse, too much load. So today I'm going to run a fresh circuit for them with switch. Just cheapo walmart lights, eventually I'll get some round ones that match the bike better.

Comment

I straightened the handlebars to the Rebel and realigned the front forks. I retweeked the headlight mount and addressed it with a hammer and anvil. Installed the new turn signals in front. Not a bad day.
                          V
                          Gustov
                          81 GS 1000 G
                          79 GS 850 G
                          81 GS 850 L
                          80 GS 550 L
                          2002 Honda 919
                          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I lubed up the linkage on the shifter of my 82 GS550M and now it shifts like a dream. From the day I bought it about a year ago it never seemed to shift like my 78 gs750 did (it doesn't need the extra link). I was having to put more effort into shifting this bike than I had my older bike. With the cold weather it wouldn't shift down into 1st gear at all. I found that the sleeve that pivoted on the post was binding on the old hardened grease. After cleaning off the post and inside the sleeve it shifts like new. I was very relieved that I didn't have to get into the gears at all.

Comment

Originally posted by B-rent View Post
                              I lubed up the linkage on the shifter of my 82 GS550M and now it shifts like a dream. From the day I bought it about a year ago it never seemed to shift like my 78 gs750 did (it doesn't need the extra link). I was having to put more effort into shifting this bike than I had my older bike. With the cold weather it wouldn't shift down into 1st gear at all. I found that the sleeve that pivoted on the post was binding on the old hardened grease. After cleaning off the post and inside the sleeve it shifts like new. I was very relieved that I didn't have to get into the gears at all.

That happened on my Rebel, couldn't figure it out. Had the service departments stumped. Then an old time Honda rider overheard me whine about it and said that I should lube the pivit post on the linkage, end of problem.

I fixed a flat on my lawn tractor trailer and looked at the Rebel.....Naaaa not tonight.
                              V
                              Gustov
                              81 GS 1000 G
                              79 GS 850 G
                              81 GS 850 L
                              80 GS 550 L
                              2002 Honda 919
                              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

No wrenching, just spit polished the Cooley Clone for the 5 month hibernation.

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                                X