No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replaced bent handlebars on my GS1000G with powder-coated black drag bars. Did a general inspection and drench with WD-40 (makes cleaning the bike later much easier.) Stripped hardware from fuel tank I found on Ebay for trip to the radiator shop tomorrow. I'll get the front fender tanked too. EDIT: The shop is tanking both for 25 dollars. That's as cheap as they were in 1985 and beats the guano out of sanding!

Inspected rear frame more thoroughly and may fab a classic round rail to replace the twisted/bent sections while properly supporting a fender.

It's hot, nasty and humid lately so my inspiration to weld anything is....limited.

Installed a set of Front Street Cycle custom bent 14" integral riser ape hangers on my FXR. Perfect ergonomics (I'm 6'2") and the wrist position is just right. He'll bend any diameter and style handlebar you want and the workmanship is excellent. Delivery takes about a month but the quality is worth it. This is my second set and I'm getting two more.

Pic is what the fishing sinkers I swat into all my handlebars look like. It's an ancient trick and works well to dampen vibes. Tap gently with a hammer while holding bar with opposite hand. The excess will be cut off by the tubing. Wash hands after handling lead of course.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-05-2013, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Removed all the broken bits and pieces from the GS1000 that I crashed last fall, and like what I see. Not much of that is going back on.
      I am debating whether or not to cut (for now, the ayes have it), and whether or not to ungreen the frame.
      The brake kit fit perfectly, so stopping power should never again be a problem.

This project will take time. I got another bike to ride, and have the luxury of no deadline.

Comment

Since you asked...the green has got to go.
        Cutting the frame is a different matter. If you ever want to go back to stock it might be difficult to find another frame in your neck of the woods.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

The stock parts were ugly brand new and would be ugly if replaced, so snip away.

A classic round rear rail would look as if it were born there. (You actually can put the stock bits back with a welder in future, not that you'd likely want to.)

Wiring cleanup, ditch the stock headlight ears for something nicer (like a small high intensity light setup) and perhaps paint or powder coat the frame and wheels a matching color other than that fugly green or black which is boring and overused.

Red looked good on Bimota Suzukis, and there is always the classic blue and white.

Comment

I agree with most of that, except that I don't rule out black.

Comment

It's alive!

3 weeks ago I bought a 97 Kawasaki 600 Eliminator that had been wrecked then left to sit for 2 years. Since then I have installed new front turn signals, handlebars, fuel filter, spark plugs, oil & filter, cleaned the carbs, removed spiders and leaves, etc. and tonight she RUNS! She smoked like crazy for 10 minutes until she burned out all the crud but now she purrs. I didn't notice until the test ride that the forks are slightly twisted. I don't think they are bent, just the trees are torqued a little. She was on the verge of becoming a parts bike and now she's a runner. I'm quite proud of myself. Tomorrow she get plates and I find out how it rides. Then I decide if I sell her for a nice profit and get something I'd like better or keep her.

Good Lord, this bike is quick!

Comment

Tail & brake light went out a couple days ago. It's on the rigid, so sometimes the battery jumps and I think hits the metal seat pan and blows the fuse. Also the bulb was blown. Replaced the fuse & bulb and got the tail light back, but still no brake light. Then I replaced the brake light switch, still no brake light. I'll try one more bulb tomorrow. If that don't do it, I'll check the fixture & wiring (electrical = my kryptonite).

Comment

Just installed a Tarozzi fork brace on the bike.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Discovered the other night that my throttle cable is routed incorrectly... despite the fact I swear I followed the diagram in the factory manual

When I put the R1 throttle tube in I discovered I had lots of free play, and taking that up resulted in opening the throttle when turning the 'bars to the right.

Routed it 100% correctly last night and it seems better but won't know 'til I ride it to work on Monday.
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Completely stripped a 550L and washed the frame prior to shipping.
                      V
                      Gustov
                      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                      81 GS 1000 G
                      79 GS 850 G
                      81 GS 850 L
                      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                      80 GS 550 L
                      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                      2002 Honda 919
                      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

A five horsepower blower motor for ammonia injection on the LM6000. Even the power plant has emission regulations!

Comment

Just finished degreeing a new set of G4s in a 1260 rebuild. Had to change the crank, re-pin fit the pistons as they were all pinched & change the hammered clutch hub also. With the cams at 107.5 this motor will be an animal on the street! Should be around 150-160 at the rear wheel. Fun ride! Ray.

Comment

Try again re-sizing photos ...
                            finally reinstalled rebuilt cam-chain tensioner ...

and then rebolted exhaust et al back up ... did some quick polish. Test ride tomorrow

Last edited by Guest; 08-14-2013, 01:11 AM. Reason: add photo

Comment

aahhhhhh......Trevorized! she's lookin' sweet my man, sweet indeed.
                              Rob
                              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                                aahhhhhh......Trevorized! she's lookin' sweet my man, sweet indeed.
                                a sweet lookin' awkward brick!, truth be told !! 560lbs + in a cafe position. Let's do the math! (it is a kick once you're in 3rd gear and got momentum and rolling hills / turns ahead. All other applications are kinda PITA. It is what it is.) But those germans sure gave it some nice lines for late 70's design!

Comment

Working...
                                X