what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
    Well, after rebuilding the front master cylinder again, we tried to bleed the front calipers. The lever still feels weak in the garage but holds the brakes pretty well so far so I don't know. I think I'll finally start it up for a ride by Sunday despite the tank not being done yet and see how everything runs.
    Strap that lever back to the 'bar over night Scott, you will have a nice firm brake in the morning!

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
    pete, I have all those bits (no cost)and can mail them to you. Chrome is not great but will work fine. P.M. me if you want them.
    They are off an 81 gsx400 but I'm really sure they are identical in these parts.
    Cheers for that, will let you know if I need anything. I did the "welding" yesterday... I say "welding" because, well it seems to have worked but is not very flash... I did take a photo but haven't gotten it off the phone yet.

I hope to get a test ride today but not sure yet. I made the mistake of overtightening the bolt that clamps the linkage onto the shifting shaft and it snapped, so I need to remove the remaining part this morning and put another bolt in... not so tight

(Tip, don't wrench after a six pack of beer!)
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

On the new 550, put on the better seat off the '77, looks and feels much better. Flushed the brakes, they were pretty clean. Adjusted the valves, they were almost all in spec. This thing is like a time machine, 35 years old and brand new at the same time.

I like it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Well, seems my crap welding may have done the trick:

I also put the 0.03" shims in so the needles are 3/4 of a notch richer than stock:

Only a short test ride today but it seems the flat spot just as I crack the throttle is gone, even with the mixture screws back at 2 1/2 turns out (down from 3). I think this will let me get rid of the pops, farts, and stalls in peak hour.

Gear changing is much improved, so much easier to flick through the gears now without all that free play!

sigpic

Comment

Got the new Polaris R/R installed yesterday. Welded (holds but not pretty) new nuts on the backside of the mounting plate so that the mounting method is the same as the original. Had to relocate one wiring connector off of the mounting plate. Man that R/R is huge compared to my original. Painted the mounting plate and then wired everything up. It fits under the side cover but just barely.

The list was down to front brake line and front tire, but sadly had to add gas tank to list. Inspected the tank and its full of rust. The tank was lined many years ago with Kreem, but it has apparently failed. Now have to strip tank and reseal. Not sure If I am going to use Caswell or POR 15. Have read good things about both.

Sigh...12 months and counting....

Comment

Mate I hear ya'! My 450 was off the road for nearly 10 years, although when I really started getting stuck in I s'pose it was more like 3 years to get done... well worth it though and I enjoy riding her every day

Speaking of riding... the commute today was almost like riding a new bike

Gear shifts were much improved and no flat spot as I cracked the throttle, although there will still a few little pops and a couple of times where it wanted to stall. I've leaned the mixture screws another 1/4 turn tonight and see how that goes tomorrow.

Really feeling like it's pretty much as good as it will get though and is continuing to be a ball of fun

sigpic

Comment

good oh, pete. You got her back on the road quick! I really wouldn't expect to snap that bit !It was funny happenstance because I had all those parts laying on my bench just like your picture!...
              (Tip, don't wrench after a six pack of beer!)
              yes, I try to maintain a professional air of sober negativity because I know Gremlins are watching me from the shop's crannies.. They will ambush me, if I show any cheer.

Comment

Yeah if she's not on the road I have to catch the train to work and I can't cope with that!

And yep, those gremlins are out there! Haha... I find a beer or three can be nice while wrenching... a beer or six is like feeding them after midnight!

sigpic

Comment

Redrew the wiring diagram for my 750..... again.

Ordered parts for brake refurbishments are got hold of some new G clamps to help me get the one seized piston out of the rear caliper. That's tomorrows job.

Comment

Got the carbs off the bike last night. O dear me.... I hope I can save them. Will post pictures tonight. There has been a mouse using the opening of one carb as a bathroom for about 10 years. Gotta swing by Canadian Tire or a hardware store to pick up some carb dip on my way home from work. Then dissasembe and complete clean and rebuild. Also will order my O-rings and JIS drivers tonight so they are in ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by StubbornDutchman View Post
                      ....There has been a mouse using the opening of one carb as a bathroom for about 10 years. ....
                      Just in case you don't know, be careful when cleaning out that mouse poop. Wear gloves and a mask. It sometimes carries hanta virus which is deadly to humans....just sayin'.....

Comment

Originally posted by Flaggo60 View Post
                        Just in case you don't know, be careful when cleaning out that mouse poop. Wear gloves and a mask. It sometimes carries hanta virus which is deadly to humans....just sayin'.....
                        Duly noted Good Sir. Although it may be too late.

Comment

Duly noted Good Sir. Although it may be too late.
                          I don't mean to alarm you. It just needs a bit of awareness and caution.

Comment

Got to love the ultrasound cleaner. Did the carbs on the 550 today, in about two hours instead of two days. They look cleaner than the dip would have done. All the passages were open, first try. Just need to find some 75 main jets, and I'm riding it!

Comment

Got the carbs off the bike last night. O dear me.... I hope I can save them. Will post pictures tonight.
                              As Promised

Comment

That'll buff right out!

Comment

Working...
                                X