No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took my 1100L out for a nice, long ride last night with the GF on the back. I noticed a little smoke coming off the engine during the ride, and then when I got home, it was dripping oil from the front of the block.

Long story short - my valve cover gasket finally decided to quit. Went from nothing to a really steady leak in one day. Tore it apart, new gasket ordered. Seems like a pretty simple swap. Good timing - rain here in MI for the next couple days

Comment

Originally posted by A-train View Post
      Took my 1100L out for a nice, long ride last night with the GF on the back. I noticed a little smoke coming off the engine during the ride, and then when I got home, it was dripping oil from the front of the block.

Long story short - my valve cover gasket finally decided to quit. Went from nothing to a really steady leak in one day. Tore it apart, new gasket ordered. Seems like a pretty simple swap. Good timing - rain here in MI for the next couple days
      I like your ride.
      V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I had Stator in helping me last night. My 450 decided to run the last bit home from work on 1 cylinder again. Last time it was the right hand Dynatek module that died. This time it was no spark on the left side so I'm guessing the new module is dying... not sure what I'm doing wrong!

And of course with Stator in there last night both sides were sparking happily so it's intermittent again like last time

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Started welding the used flanges from a smashed set of headers, after sleeving them, to the '90 GSXR750F exhaust.

Off to an ugly start.

After some grinding, re-welding, grinding, smoothing and polishing.

More welding, grinding on the outside.

Installed and scratching everything in sight to get it mocked up to make/mount the new kickstand.

The old, bolted underneath, stand mixed with the new should make one stand after several modifications.

Comment

Got my new front tire in this evening, so this afternoon I rubbed down the rim and forks with a 00 pad because it's all apart and I might as well. Followed it up by giving all that fresh aluminium a rub down with some Mother's brand mag wheel polish, so the old girl is looking that little bit more photogenic.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffyn View Post
              the old girl is looking that little bit more photogenic.
              And the photos?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Photos when the new rubber is on. Right now she's just a shiny collection of parts.

Comment

OK, new battery in the 550, checked out the charging a bit. It's OK, a little resistance here and there. Nothing an hour cleaning them up won't fix. New battery in the 1000E, put the turn sigs on the back of it, spent an hour looking all over for the front ones… oh, there they are, installed and working fine on the 550. Anyone got a pair of the black rectangular ones from a later GS?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Installed a Dyno stage one kit and pods into the carbs for the 1100L. Next installed period correct Jardien 4/1 into the same 1100 and mocked up a couple different seat arrangements.
                    V
                    Gustov
                    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                    81 GS 1000 G
                    79 GS 850 G
                    81 GS 850 L
                    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                    80 GS 550 L
                    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                    2002 Honda 919
                    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                      Installed a Dyno stage one kit and pods into the carbs for the 1100L. Next installed period correct Jardien 4/1 into the same 1100 and mocked up a couple different seat arrangements.
                      V
                      Suzi-Q being revived? We need pictures.

cg
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g
                      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Changed out the water pump in my 91 Vanagon. Was not much fun, but easier than expected.
                        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

So this week I've done a few things... my Dynatek left module was failing this time so I had to bastardise my old one with the faulty right module with this one and make one good one. A few laps of the local twisties to scrub the new Avon Roadriders in tells me so far so good on the repair.

Stator brought my new SH775 home finally the other day:

It's huge! I gave up the first night as the electrics tray needs a re-jig to fit it...

Finally got things shuffled around, new longer +ve and -ve leads made and installed. Not the ideal direction as the fins are sideways but it's the only way it fits... at least under there it should still get good air flow:

And after all that it didn't solve my issue, so it is definitely the stator that is failing... but I wanted to do the SH775 upgrade anyway so hopefully when I replace the stator the new one will last a lot longer with the SH775.

Oh, and Stator got excited about the new rubber as that means I should be able to get him out on Saturday morning...

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

It's pretty tight under thosesidecovers ain't it Pete, and those big connector jacks on that R/R don't help.
                            I had to bolt a big Honda R/R onto the chainguard for awhile. It worked pretty well there,but it only had one bolt holding it. That looks a little more secure than what I did.

Sooo! the Speed Demons sort of a fail, eh? Didn't last long! I'm looking forward to a report on the Avons!

Comment

Took apart and reseated my turn signal switch as left is working but right started to not come on later this afternoon. I also discovered my fork seals were leaking this evening so ordered new ones from Z1; should see them by Wednesday
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Relocated the kickstand using part of the old stock mount and a 1100E stand. Not my nicest welding but everything works like stock.

I wasn't planning on keeping the center-stand but might. I'll paint the parts and make it look better tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X