No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I spent the morning trying to figure out what is making the '68 Cortina lose power and cut out. I found and corrected some questionable electrical connections in the aftermarket electronic ignition. That seems to have fixed it. I was planning to replace the distributor and coil, but I forgot to have an intake manifold gasket on hand. The Delorttos stick out over the the distributor, and its a lot easier to pull off the carbs when working on the distributor.

I may not have needed the distributor after all.

I'm fixing to pull the brake masters and calipers off of the Nortons and have them rebuilt. The masters will be sleeved to increase braking power.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Removed the cylinder from the CL70 in preparation for refreshing. Hone, lap the valves and new rings.

V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Weather here sucks, it's too warm for skiing and too much snow for riding so I spent some time on the EFE. Got the front end mostly cleaned up and back together. New head bearings, new wheel bearings and new fork seals. Now to get the BT45 mounted and balanced as well as put in some fork oil. Probably go with 15w and an extra 1/2" preload to start and see where that puts me. Todays the day it actually starts going back together. Still have to figure out what to do about some paint work on the plastic though.
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Not too much....Took a break from the house project and cleaned up the garage a bit- got rid of the left over sheetrock sweeped, etc.

Then on the GS, i replaced the leaking valvecover hold down washers, then put the tank and panels back on. Note to self......next time attach the fuel line to the carbs before installing. Dumb dumb.

Its good to see it back together.
          http://
          Last edited by dorkburger; 02-01-2015, 10:29 PM. Reason: add
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Haven't logged in here for quite some time but the last few weeks I have been in and out of the carbs on the 450 after discovering tears in the diaphragms just before Christmas.

I ordered a pair of JBM diaphragms to replace the stock ones but as per usual these red headed step child carbs they use on the 80 - 82 450's refuse to cooperate with the JBM diaphragms. The key to them operating correctly is to roll them when installing, but the setup of these carbs means the roll does not stay in place and therefore the excess rubber ends up bunching up and prevents the slide from lifting fully.

I can still putt around to work and back keeping the throttle on low openings so it doesn't run too lean but there are no fun rides at present.

I'm eyeing off a set of GS500 carbs to swap in potentially with some GS500 camshafts as well as both are local to me and the price is right.
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Replaced the auger shaft bearing on my 50 year old Ariens Snow 7 hp blower.

Went well until I bent over and couldn't stand back up due to lower back pain. Haven't had any back problems in decades. Wasn't lifting anything and I was fine just before it happened but guess the 60" of snow we've gotten in the last two weeks were too much for the old blower and the feeble operator.

Bought my Dad the biggest professional 32" wide 420cc Ariens blower two years ago after his house fire. That baby is a beast. Flew through 36" of snow in second gear without even laboring and was shooting the snow 40'. He has three wide drive ways at his home that I do for him, and that unit makes short work of it.

Comment

Todays project is to get a new brake master cylinder picked up from the Suzuki dealer and delivered to the workshop. And I found out that Suzuki Japan don't have any 1981 GS850 (or any models similar) wiring harness's left. So it's up to the local bike autosparkie to make a wiring loom for my GS. When he pulled apart the old loom it had dodgy PO splices done in the loom, so that's incentive enough to get it replaced.
                Attached Files

Comment

put a new battery in the generator gas it with starting fluid and let it run awhile.

Comment

Muffler outer plate on the XL12 saw disintegrated. Running repair. Why don't studs on exhaust headers come out so easy ?
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous
                    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Finished the Superbowl crown for the Sons of Fantasy league.

[/URL]

V
                      Gustov
                      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                      81 GS 1000 G
                      79 GS 850 G
                      81 GS 850 L
                      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                      80 GS 550 L
                      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                      2002 Honda 919
                      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

This morning I managed the final touches on the chassis. Went over most of it with a torque wrench and some anti-seize. Pushed it outside for some photos and a little overdue garage maintenance. Everything cleaned up really well and nothing really needed painting, just a good cleaning. So far it's got new tires, front/rear wheel bearings, steering head bearings, battery, NOS fuel tank, front/rear caliper seals and fork seals. Now I just need to work on the cosmetic stuff, a few parts need paint from a previous tip over. Only real visible flaw is a rub mark in the black chrome on the right muffler, don't really know what to do about that as the rest of the exhaust is near perfect. Any ideas are welcome. LOL, looks I like a missed the center stand as usual, that will probably need paint.

'84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Nice job Sandy. It is coming along very nicely. Looking forward to seeing it in June. Or maybe you will bring it over to Cliff's in May?
                          No signature

Comment

A black sharpie Sandy. Works amazing well for those collector plate photos and actually stays on for quite a while.......
                            Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                            Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                            1983 GS 750

Comment

Now that I am working as a tech at the local Motorrad store, I'm wrenching on something different every day.

Uncrated this sick HP4 on Tuesday:

Wednesday's R1200GS clutch job:

Today's sex machine:

Variety is the spice of life!
                              2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
                              2010 Suzuki GSX1250FA
                              2015 BMW RnineT

Dave

Comment

More work on the dining room ceiling / lighting. Work is progressing slowly but painfully. Ran the feed yesterday from the basement panel to the switches requiring lots of hole drilling. Attic work today wiring the lights in. Got to work in insulation and cold temps...yay.
                                Maybe paint later.
                                Attached Files
                                sigpic
                                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                                -Rusty old scooter.
                                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                                X