what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
    Removed and inspected the clutch....it looks great. The oil pump gear, beraing and washer behind it......not so much.
    Looks to have been magnetized... Seen worse, but not much.(j/k )

What is it your replacing? How's the springs on the basket?
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

No wrenching but cleaning. I has been raining solid here since last night. So I took advantage and did some cleaning and organizing that I have been putting off.
      Got rid of some old oil today too. It always feels good to clean up a bit.

No signature

Comment

The entire assembly looks great. Since the nut needs replacement, I figured id pull the clutch and check everything out....good thing I did. Im hoping the loose hub nut was the cause, and for a quick replacement of the affected parts.

I started separate thread on it.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Replaced the fork lowers to see if that doesn't resolve my leak issues then found the front brake pads are wearing funny and just finished ordering a new set from Z1. Hopefully, I'll be able to figure out why.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
            No wrenching but cleaning. I has been raining solid here since last night. So I took advantage and did some cleaning and organizing that I have been putting off.
            Got rid of some old oil today too. It always feels good to clean up a bit.

Now that's what I call a Man Cave! Nice set up.

Comment

Well, got the oil changed and new plugs, all cleaned up and ready for a ride. Just waiting on my arthritis in my shoulders and hands to clear up so I can get out. Worst time of year for me...sigh.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by AKC75 View Post
                Now that's what I call a Man Cave! Nice set up.
                Thanks AKC75....it's been a work in progress.
                No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                  Thanks AKC75....it's been a work in progress.
                  My current living situation is an apartment. So anytime I want to or need to tinker, it's in a parking lot. But I make do!

Within the first month of having the bike, I've had to change a snapped clutch cable, changed my oil to Rotella T 15W40, new brakes front and back and yesterday I replaced a valve cover bolt. As the old one rattled out at some point causing an oil seep. Not sure how the hell that happened. I was using a temporary bolt I found at Auto Zone until the OEM came in. Since that happened I've gone over all the others to make sure they are snug.

It's funny seeing a brand new shiny bolt next to all the old ones. Haha

Comment

Removed and replaced rear tire and tube on my CL70. Removed the engine to remove and replace a broken screw. Next a little clean up on the engine and screw removal.

V
                    Gustov
                    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                    81 GS 1000 G
                    79 GS 850 G
                    81 GS 850 L
                    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                    80 GS 550 L
                    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                    2002 Honda 919
                    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Branded my pipe today.

No signature

Comment

Originally posted by AKC75 View Post
                        My current living situation is an apartment. So anytime I want to or need to tinker, it's in a parking lot. But I make do!

Within the first month of having the bike, I've had to change a snapped clutch cable, changed my oil to Rotella T 15W40, new brakes front and back and yesterday I replaced a valve cover bolt. As the old one rattled out at some point causing an oil seep. Not sure how the hell that happened. I was using a temporary bolt I found at Auto Zone until the OEM came in. Since that happened I've gone over all the others to make sure they are snug.

It's funny seeing a brand new shiny bolt next to all the old ones. Haha
                        Treat yourself to a new set. Lots of places sell matched sets of stainless bolts to replace old, damaged, corroded ones.
                        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                          Treat yourself to a new set. Lots of places sell matched sets of stainless bolts to replace old, damaged, corroded ones.
                          I actually bought a universal bolt kit for Japanese bikes to have in case I needed them for a quick fix.

I also bought some assorted OEM from Bike Bandit.

I just haven't taken the time to see what I can actually use from the bolt kit. A lot of them are allen head bolts.

I'll prob see what I can knock out when it's time to pull the old tank and install the new freshly powder coated tank.

Comment

I put on the SH775 yesterday, and repaired the rear signal lamps that had corroded and broken wiring.

Over the winter I've done a whole bunch of stuff. I fixed the headlight wiring (the wiring stupidity went right through to the control switch), corroded and leaking rear rim, carburator tune, replaced exhaust system, replaced air filter gasket, carb boots and air filter boots, clutch plates and springs, valves, oil changed and filter replaced, and replaced the front forks.

It's a pretty bike, and is cosmetically nice but it had a lot of other very tired components.

All I have to do now is pressurize the rear shocks and then I'm ready for riding. I'm going to toodle around home for a first few rides, and then I'll turn it into a commuter to get to work. Once I'm satisfied I'm safe enough riding a side-car rig to take passengers, then I'll cut it over to antique plates to save a bunch on insurance and it'll be just for taking the kids for rides.

Comment

Hi,

I wrenched on nothing today. But I'm going to soon. My bike has been apart for almost two years now. Since the band's not so busy this season I think I'll be able to spend some time in the garage. Wish me luck!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Got the broken bolt out, now to source one at the local hardware store. Next up, main seal on the pumpkin on the 850L.

V
                                Gustov
                                80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                                81 GS 1000 G
                                79 GS 850 G
                                81 GS 850 L
                                83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                                80 GS 550 L
                                86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                                2002 Honda 919
                                2004 Ural Gear up

Comment