No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the link. I figured it out via photobucket...a simple 10 step process.
    1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

Got the clutch basket out of the Kat motor yesterday, gotta do something about this spring:

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

All the valves lapped, installed, seals installed, cylinder 1 springs and keepers installed. Man, these 16 valve engines are not as easy as the 8 valve engines when it comes to installing the keepers! Hope to finish tomorrow and then install head and close the engine up.
        1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
        1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Hmm... that explains the odd patch of slightly harsh running.
          Went to start the fkr and... dead. Nada, nothing, not a cheep. Not a light nor a glimmer.
          Turns out the main ignition feed had corroded right off the bottom of the ign switch. I'd had my suspicions about the switch, but it was a right pita to get to, with the screen in place, so had left it alone as long as it worked. Stripping and rebuilding the front had disturbed the remaining grasp on electrical reality the connector had.
          That's what 35 years of exposure to road salt does. I don't recall if the bottom of the switch ever had a protective boot, but it was long gone, if so.
          Luckily pattern parts of reasonably quality are available, but it adds to the cost; still, better replaced with new shiny contacts and decent solder joints that will carry on working for another couple of decades, than do a repair on a unit that has other components that are 35 years old and ready to fail, too.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Installed a V&H on my 1000EN.

Also recovered the seat with a Pit Replica cover. Nothing wrong with the old seat cover except it looked like it came from a Kawasaki.
            This how it used to look.

Tarozzi Rearsets are on the way.

Comment

Was wrenchin', then got to slicin'. Stung a bit, too.
              Typical rookie mistake I haven't done for a while. I suppose a reminder every so often is a good thing.

---- Dave
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Got the Kat cases split and found the source of the broken bits that came out when the motor got flipped over. Looks like someone's run it with a loose cam chain potentially and smashed the cam chain guide holder. Hopefully it's a relatively simple fix to get the post back in, the holder itself is cheap as dirt.

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Sat a Pantera II fairing onto a Vetter bracket and guess what? It fitted perfectly - no surprises, as the Pantera was one of a slew of Vetter copies that sprung up to satisfy the demand for fairings this side of the pond, when it simply cost too much to import one from the US. The copies nearly all used Vetter brackets, lowers and screens, with a high degree of interchangeability between them.
                  This Pantera is one of the better ones and that headlamp swings things in favour of it; I'll be fitting this one instead of the Windjammer. The lamp is a Cibie Z-Beam, as was commonly fitted to a great many French cars of the day. Strange thing is, most of them left the factory with horrible 45W tungsten bulbs in them and the owners didn't know what treasure they had on the fronts of their little boxes. Fit a decent halogen bulb (even better, a modern +30, +50, or +90) and things really wake up. You can see for a mile with one of these, and that was back in the 70s.

Honda ST1100 bars, XJ900 master cylinder, Hyster ignition switch going on shortly...

The 200mm headlamp (this one) has nearly a mile range.
                  Last edited by Grimly; 11-11-2015, 07:46 PM.
                  ---- Dave

Comment

My Pit Replica seat cover is installed.

This is how it used to look.

The grab bar will go back on after the cover settles a bit. Rearsets are due in tomorrow.

Comment

Just got the plugs in, wires in, valve cover on, dyna s in and set, valves adjusted. Just gas and battery charge now. Tomorrow will be exciting.
                      1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

Like a kid on Christmas Eve, i bet you don't sleep much.
                        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Yep. Counting the hours.

Comment

Got the new motor in and fired up. Rode it around some. Needs clutch work and i think the carb is needing something.

Comment

Spooned my first successful tire today. Put a new Kena 270 on the back of my DR600 I've got a good guy that will do tires for $20 but I've always wanted to learn how and I need to know for dirt riding trips. Sure helped that I had an 16" spoon instead of just the 10" ones.
                              Rob
                              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Winterized the 1098S and inventoried the GSXR project I got earlier this year from my painter and which was delivered yesterday. Now the GSXR is on the lift ready to start mechanical work.

Comment

Working...
                                X