what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Runningdog View Post
    Then I started reading about ring end gaps, and couldn't think straight about it, so I left it for the day. Maybe a bit of learned input would be appreciated at this point.
    How far was the overlap? I seem to remember my father using a file on a few oil rings to get the fit he wanted, but that was 30+ years ago and I may be thinking wrong...

Comment

Awesome Site

Well i never knew there were so many GS Guys around. Used to think i was a ??special person ?? having so many. HA HA awesome site for sure. That Rapid Ray he is a super guy. Im in awe. Anyhow tonight i was in my new shop (just built it) working on my new air supply system and soda blaster cabinet, Also did a engine dissasembly on a custom ? monoshock katana im building with upside down forks, Have to get a swingarm built for my street strip bike and pull acouple engines out of some old bikes I bought for parts (1150 s ) Had a couple beers and am checkin out this site Mike

Comment

Dave, the ends of the oil spacer butted right up to each other........I spoke with a buddy (car/helicopter/plane mechanic), who told me that oil spacers do that normally. He cleared up my confusion about the ring end gap for the two compression rings (basically what I originally thought....and you're correct about filing the ends to size them, if they are too long), and implored me to remove the pistons from the wrist pins to make sure that the ring slots were clear of carbon, and make spacing the rings easier.

That meant running down to the local dealership to order the circlips......sunnuva...they had them in stock!!!! Moving forward......

Comment

Nothing for a change!! Still waiting on jets from Z1..They were a bit of a speacial order deal so it will be later this week till they arrive. So, instead i took advantage of the sun and tshirt weather and rode 3 of the 6 bikes. Ran out of gas in the 77 750 and that was the goal. To get the last of the winter stabil dosed gas gone and fill with fresh.. I did notice that the 78 1000 C has some cords showing thru so i parked it in the front of the garage till a new tire happens..
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Picked up some washers for the swingarm and hope to have it together tonight plus I got my wheel bearings and clutch springs in from Z1. I'll work on those sometime this week if the weather holds. I think I also managed to fix the last bad part of bondo on the tank so I'll spray it with sealer and try to paint tomorrow.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
              White spokes and blue rims, might look good on that new bike.

Daniel
              yes I considered doing something different but black powder coat is the most economical.

Comment

Got try the first proper version of my ignitor replacement tonight, but just with hand cranking for the moment.

So far so good, nice big fat blue sparks and no ghost sparks.
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Got my re turned rotor back on the bike it now stops smoothly a great improvement over my first try.

Comment

Cleaning Carb on my new to me honda XR650R, and rejetting so it wil pass emmisions. Trying to get it street legal so i can DS this thing...

All they do is an idle test, and it was a bit fat at idle. So smaller idle jet, and fuel screw most of the way in should do it...

Comment

Reassembled the VM 26s i had to salvage then put them on the 1000 S. Twisted by bad discs in my back and had to stop at the airbox. Couldnt take it any longer. So tomorrow all i got to do is slip the boots from the airbox over the carbs and bolt it in.,.Put on the throttle cables and she will be good to go.
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Put the new exhaust on my bike. Well half way.

Comment

Installed my new rear wheel bearings among other stuff.
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                            Reassembled the VM 26s i had to salvage then put them on the 1000 S. Twisted by bad discs in my back and had to stop at the airbox. Couldnt take it any longer. So tomorrow all i got to do is slip the boots from the airbox over the carbs and bolt it in.,.Put on the throttle cables and she will be good to go.
                            Put the throttle cables on before you hang the carbs. Much easier that way.

Earl
                            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Its easy to hook them up while already in the boots..at least i think so. not difficult at all really. I also replaced the intake pipe orings bfore installing the crabs.. The PO had already put the allen heads in so that was nice and easy to get them out.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                                Put the throttle cables on before you hang the carbs. Much easier that way.

Earl
                                Now you say so... makes perfect sense...
                                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                                X