This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
    Wow, beautiful scenery. Were is that, got to be the Rockies. I haven't been there since the early 80s.
    No problem with PBucket for me, but my picts were uploaded from my cell to my mobil file.
    Yep, Rockies. 12,000 or so feet, West of Denver a little way.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Yep, Rockies. 12,000 or so feet, West of Denver a little way.
      I climbed Longs Peak 14,355 ft. in '81. We used to stay at the Y in Estes Park in the early 80s. I remember takeing the tour at the Stanley Hotel, right after they released the movie of the Shinning. My parents hadn't seen the movie, and didn't believe me. We almost moved to Longmont, But that fell through. I can't remember why, I think my parents realized there is winter there. The reason we moved from Maryland to Florida in the first place. Being a letter carrier my dads back couldn't take the cold of winter anymore.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I thought Timberline lodge was used for The Shining ? But It's so long ago, I can't really remember. Oldtimers disease.
        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
        1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
          I thought Timberline lodge was used for The Shining ? But It's so long ago, I can't really remember. Oldtimers disease.
          No its the one in Estes Park... I wonder i they still do the tours?

Have to watch the movie first.

gsrick, did you go up the standard route up the North (I think) side of Long's Peak?

I haven't been up there yet, it's on my to do list.
          Last edited by tkent02; 07-21-2012, 10:43 AM.

Comment

It would appear we're both right. Inspiration from the Stanley. Mini series from the Stanley. Movie at Timberline Lodge.
            From Wikipedia

The Stanley Hotel is a 140-room neo-Georgian hotel in Estes Park, Colorado. Located within sight of the Rocky Mountain National Park, the Stanley offers panoramic views of the Rockies. It was built by Freelan Oscar Stanley of Stanley Steamer fame and opened on July 4, 1909, catering to the rich and famous, including the RMS Titanic survivor Margaret Brown, John Philip Sousa, Theodore Roosevelt, the Emperor and Empress of Japan, and a variety of Hollywood personalities.[2] The hotel and its surrounding lands are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.[3]
            The Stanley Hotel also hosted the horror novelist Stephen King, inspiring him to write The Shining. Contrary to information sometimes published, King was living in Boulder at the time and did not actually write the novel at the hotel. Parts of the mini-series version of The Shining were filmed there, although Stanley Kubrick's cinematic version was filmed at the Timberline Lodge in Oregon and at Elstree Studios in England. The Stanley Hotel shows the uncut R-rated version of Kubrick's The Shining on a continuous loop on Channel 42 on guest room televisions.
            Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
            1983 GS 750

Comment

Timberline Lodge is a mountain lodge on the south side of Mount Hood in Oregon, about 60 miles (97*km) east of Portland.
              Built in the late 1930s, this National Historic Landmark sits at an elevation of 5,960 feet (1,817*m), within the Mount Hood National Forest and is accessible through the Mount Hood Scenic Byway.[2] It is a popular tourist attraction, drawing more than a million visitors annually.[3] It is noted in film for serving as the exterior of the Overlook Hotel in The Shining.
              '83 GS 1100T
              The Jet

sigpic
              '95 GSXR 750w
              The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

So which is it?

Comment

Both. Post 4282
                  1983 GS 750

Comment

Cool with me, it's been 30 years since I've been there and it was a time share tour with a free lunch. Longs Peak I'm not sure about. If I'm correct we started on the Estes side, east of it. when we got near the top we were on the NE and had to pass through a natural arch after crossing the boulder field. Once through the keyway you had to edge along the western face southward for a ways. That is one hell of a drop off and where my parents called it quits. It is an all day hike and I think it was 13 miles. Facts might be off a little. A 30 year buzz tends to make the past a little fuzzy.
                    GSRick
                    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Local zoo - The Kentucky Reptile Zoo - http://www.kyreptilezoo.org/

New tag - A Conservation center
                      Last edited by Baatfam; 07-21-2012, 04:16 PM.
                      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I googled Conservation Center near Reno, NV. and the only one that came up was a Bureau of Veteran's Affairs Center.
                        I doubt that would be what you are after.
                        Bccap can get this one.

Eric

Comment

I also googled Conservation Center near Morro Bay, Ca. and the Musuem of Natural History came up, so here it is;
                          [IMG][/IMG]

Next tag, a pic. of your bike next to a wrecked Wes Cooley. (sorry Mark)
                          [IMG][/IMG]

Just Kidding, how about a pic with at least 2 other GS's OWNED and RIDDEN by someone besides you?
                          [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

I can't figure out what he wants. Job Corp. What are they preserving jobs ?
                            1983 GS 750

Comment

Sweet 1150 Elcornus.
                              1983 GS 750

Comment

Thanks dude, it's my low-buck, 60,000mi. pile. Picked it up cheap about a month ago, logged over 1100 miles on it already, with over 300 of them during the rally in Paso Robles, Ca. If ya look closely, you can see the Cooley before and after. Glad Mark is doing better, and that Cooley will live again!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X