Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, so he's a little rambunctious. The fact that he his very first post is here in our game is...... Well just odd, but good! Welcome to the forum and the game Tweak!
    '83 GS 1100T
    The Jet

sigpic
    '95 GSXR 750w
    The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

To make it easier, it doesn't have to be a lava flow, any volcanic formation will do.

Comment

Originally posted by Tweakletoes View Post
        To make it easier, it doesn't have to be a lava flow, any volcanic formation will do.
        Those of us near Wyoming...Yellowstone and Devils Tower are both volcanic formations.

Comment

Theories of formation

Geologists agree that Devils Tower was formed by the intrusion of igneous material, but they cannot agree on how, exactly, that process took place. Geologists Carpenter and Russell studied Devils Tower in the late 19th century and came to the conclusion that the Tower was formed by an igneous intrusion. Later geologists searched for further explanations. Several geologists believe the molten rock comprising the Tower might not have surfaced; other researchers are convinced the tower is all that remains of what once was a large explosive volcano.
          In 1907, scientists Darton and O'Hara decided that Devils Tower must be an eroded remnant of a laccolith. A laccolith is a large mass of igneous rock which is intruded through sedimentary rock beds without reaching the surface, but makes a rounded bulge in the sedimentary layers above. This theory was quite popular in the early 20th century since numerous studies had earlier been done on laccoliths in the Southwest.
          Other theories have suggested that Devils Tower is a volcanic plug or that it is the neck of an extinct volcano. Presumably, if Devils Tower was a volcanic plug, any volcanics created by it – volcanic ash, lava flows, volcanic debris – would have been eroded away long ago. Some pyroclastic material of the same age as Devils Tower has been identified elsewhere in Wyoming.
          The igneous material that forms the Tower is a phonolite porphyry intruded about 40.5 million years ago,[10] a light to dark-gray or greenish-gray igneous rock with conspicuous crystals of white feldspar.[11] As the magma cooled, hexagonal (and sometimes 4-, 5-, and 7-sided) columns formed. As the rock continued to cool, the vertical columns shrank horizontally in volume and cracks began to occur at 120 degree angles, generally forming compact 6-sided columns. The nearby Missouri Buttes, 3.5 miles (5.6 km) to the northwest of Devils Tower, are also composed of columnar phonolite of the same age. Superficially similar, but with typically 2 feet (0.61 m) diameter columns, Devils Postpile National Monument and Giant's Causeway are columnar basalt.
          Devils Tower did not visibly protrude out of the landscape until the overlying sedimentary rocks eroded away. As the elements wore down the softer sandstones and shales, the more resistant igneous rock making up the tower survived the erosional forces. As a result, the gray columns of Devils Tower began to appear as an isolated mass above the landscape.
          As rain and snow continue to erode the sedimentary rocks surrounding the Tower's base, more of Devils Tower will be exposed. Nonetheless, the exposed portions of the Tower still experience certain amounts of erosion. Cracks along the columns are subject to water and ice erosion. Erosion due to the expansion of ice along cracks and fractures within rock formations is common in colder climates – a prime example being the featured formations at Bryce Canyon National Park. Portions, or even entire columns, of rock at Devils Tower are continually breaking off and falling. Piles of broken columns, boulders, small rocks, and stones – or scree – lie at the base of the tower, indicating that it was once wider than it is today.[9]
          '83 GS 1100T
          The Jet

sigpic
          '95 GSXR 750w
          The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
            Those of us near Wyoming...Yellowstone and Devils Tower are both volcanic formations.
            As is most any other terrain in the Western USA, Canada, Mexico, a lot of Europe, South America, Africa, half the islands on the planet. This tag is easier than the cow that took two days for anyone to get. There are cows everywhere. You guys need to get out and ride more.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Tweakletoes View Post
              I got your cow...

Lava flows
              Looks like part of your bike in the picture...the spirit of the game calls for the whole bike to be in the picture.

Nice lava flow. The Oregon boys can find that right down the road from Bend. We have them in our area as well. Even the Appalachian States have a few. Unfortunately, I don't think anybody in Florida is going to have a chance with that one.

Welcome to the game, and welcome to the GSR!
              Last edited by BigD_83; 09-13-2012, 01:14 PM.
              '83 GS650G
              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                ...the spirit of the game calls for the whole bike to be in the picture.
                Nah...that's not true.
                I've got several tags with only part of my bike in the picture...
                We just want to make sure you didn't take your car, or bicycle, or airplane to get the picture....
                Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                  Nah...that's not true.
                  We just want to make sure you didn't take your car, or bicycle, or airplane to get the picture....
                  Oh, I'm not giving the gears.

I think the tag is golden. I just really want to see the bikes in the pictures. It's very motivating.
                  '83 GS650G
                  '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                    Oh, I'm not giving the gears.

I think the tag is golden. I just really want to see the bikes in the pictures. It's very motivating.
                    Haha...maybe it SHOULD be a rule for first time players...
                    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                      Nah...that's not true.
                      Yeah but we've all seen your bike. We want to see his too...
                      '83 GS 1100T
                      The Jet

sigpic
                      '95 GSXR 750w
                      The Rocket

Comment

Y'all play find the volcano. I'll check back when there is a doable tag or the rest of you find out where that fishy smell is coming from.
                        GSRick
                        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Its been 48hrs..time for a new tag.
                          No signature

Comment

Time for someone to get off their ass and ride.
                            It's an easy tag.
                            Can't you see Mt Baker from Victoria?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have a big cast on my arm....thats my excuse
                              I cant even play, but I been waiting too. lol

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                                Time for someone to get off their ass and ride.
                                It's an easy tag.
                                Can't you see Mt Baker from Victoria?
                                I'll ride over to the coast and look out at the ocean. I'm sure someone will get it before one pops up. I can do some fishing while I'm there.
                                GSRick
                                No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                                Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Working...
                                X