• Show
Clear All

Spiderman????
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by wisgolfer59 View Post
      Looks like he spent more time typing in all the searchable keywords than he spent in school.

Hate CL posts like that. Search for "Suburban" and a POS like that shows up.
      Yeah, whenever I come across one of those ads with a paragraph of keywords attached, I spam report it for deletion.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Telling it like it is...

1983? gs 1000 runs. needs work - $500 (west metro )

Leaks some fluids and needs carb cleaning.
        tires are kinda ****ty . comes with retarded windjammer and bags.
        battery sucks too. think it has 30000 miless

come get it best offer runs with a jump but won't idle

61. 2 59 7 663 9

'80 GS1000ST
        '92 ZX-11
        Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

'81 GS1000G with a good seat, body parts and possibly exhaust.
          Well worth checking out especially if it has a clean title.

Eric

Comment

This classic needs some loving- he's sorted out its problems to entice a buyer!

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              This classic needs some loving- he's sorted out its problems to entice a buyer!

http://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/3018813478.html
              And just what is the hose running from the dash into the spark plug hole for?

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                And just what is the hose running from the dash into the spark plug hole for?

Eric
                Its a performance option. Haven't you ever heard of water injection?
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

honda 1971 cb750k1 - $6000 (newington)

Date: 2012-05-08, 7:46PM EDT
                  Reply to: hcch7-3004330331@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

selling my 1971 cb750k1 it,s in decent shape and far from perfect, there are not many of these left im asking $6000

Comment

71 H1 Widow Maker Kawasaki - $7900 (enfield)

Date: 2012-05-06, 11:33AM EDT
                    Reply to: rbdbh-2999351211@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

1971 H1 Kawasaki 500, one owner, bike, with title, about 2200 orig miles, gorgeous bike.

860 221 5789

Comment

The H1 will probably sell for more than that price if the seller was to list it on Ebay.

Eric

Comment

Oh the humanity!!!!

"I am in desperate need of some help with my bike! I have a 1983 suzuki gs450 automatic chop that is running like a big turd!!!! I have in no shape or form any mechanical knowledge. When i bought the bike it ran perfect. had it for just a few months and began to tear it down n chop it out. after oh about 7 months or so the bike was finally finished, but since this time it just hasn't run like it was when i first bought it."

DUH!!

Comment

Originally posted by AFRetired View Post
                          Oh the humanity!!!!

"I am in desperate need of some help with my bike! I have a 1983 suzuki gs450 automatic chop that is running like a big turd!!!! I have in no shape or form any mechanical knowledge. When i bought the bike it ran perfect. had it for just a few months and began to tear it down n chop it out. after oh about 7 months or so the bike was finally finished, but since this time it just hasn't run like it was when i first bought it."

DUH!!

Reading the entire ad reminds me of a lot post on here, another who made all 10 newbie mistakes and then some.

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
                            Reading the entire ad reminds me of a lot post on here, another who made all 10 newbie mistakes and then some.

The bike above could be the poster bike for what NOT to do.

Yesterday I was asked to come look at a bike that wouldn't run (it did when he bought it!). He said he changed handlebars, so I thought maybe there were wires that were shorted. When I got there, it was an 85 Yamaha 700 virago that had been bobbed in back, straight bars added, struts in place of shocks, and a solo seat strapped to the frame. I shuddered visibly. I told him that I disliked these mutilations because they reduce the funtionality (and therefore the safety), and he was surprised I wasn't drooling over it. The damage was already done, so I started looking for the problem. The emissions stuff was removed, there were vacuum lines plugged and flopping about, but nothing noticeably wrong. I noticed that the petcock was like new, but did not have a vacuum line going to it. I started to check the carb bowl for fuel, even though he assured me there was plenty of fuel getting to the carb. Even after I showed him that there was no fuel in the bowl, he argued with me for 10 minutes that the PO replaced the petcock, but it wasn't exactly the right one, and it should run on "ON". I told him that without vacuum, it needed to be run on PRIME, and ON was now OFF. If he added vacuum, and the petcock operated correctly, then ON was good until RES was needed, and PRIME was just for filling the carbs. It was like talking to a brick wall, like I was just making this stuff up. I turned on the key and the bike fired right up, but he didn't believe I didn't do something else to fix it. The air inlet system was intact, so it sounded pretty good (stock muffler too). In the interest of proactive help, I told him not to mess with those things, especially the inlet, because CV carbs need the vacuum. He seemed to listen to that. I took the bike up the street for a block to look for any other problems, and found the clutch was barely engaged. The ride, of course, was brutal, and even a small bump at 20 mph went right up into your spine. When I got off the bike, I shook my head and said "yeah, it's a deathtrap". I think that got his attention. I explained that there is a reason for suspension, padded seats, and a seat height that doesn't fold your legs up like a jockey's, because your body will take only so much pain before you stop riding the bike. He seemed to listen, and said he may try putting the shocks back on, but time will tell.

Sorry for the rant, but these "funnies" are hitting too close to home!

Comment

Originally posted by Don-lo View Post
                              he was surprised I wasn't drooling over it.
                              he argued with me for 10 minutes
                              It was like talking to a brick wall, like I was just making this stuff up.
                              I turned on the key and the bike fired right up, but he didn't believe I didn't do something else to fix it.
                              These are four common key points, and craigslist starting to get littered with people asking for help along with trying to sell their abominations, you have way more tolerance than I, I emailed 2 different people, trying to help, (without being condescending) and had it thrown back in my face because they didn't believe or want to hear what really needed to be done to run, only wanted a magic pill to fix it. They both responded with childish profanity.
                              Never again, let-em end up in a scrap heap somewhere.

And this is usually followed up by (he was surprised I wasn't drooling over it.)
                              "my bike looks bada$$" heard that even on here

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
                                These are four common key points, and craigslist starting to get littered with people asking for help along with trying to sell their abominations, you have way more tolerance than I, I emailed 2 different people, trying to help, (without being condescending) and had it thrown back in my face because they didn't believe or want to hear what really needed to be done to run, only wanted a magic pill to fix it. They both responded with childish profanity.
                                Never again, let-em end up in a scrap heap somewhere.

And this is usually followed up by (he was surprised I wasn't drooling over it.)
                                "my bike looks bada$$" heard that even on here
                                I keep an eye on these ads if it's a bike I may be interested in.

I save all the information, then wait three or four months. After that time, a call or an email to the guy asking if he ever got the bike running, and does he still need help. Inevitably it's "No, I guess I should get rid of it or part it out".

Using this method, one can sometimes pick up a pretty nice, almost functioning bike for $300 or so.
                                sigpic

SUZUKI:
                                1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                                HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                                KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                                YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Working...
                                X