No announcement yet.

Craigslist "funnies"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time after time, the market has shown that no matter how much you've spent on parts to bring an old snotter up to scratch, you'll never get anywhere near your money back - invariably it only fetches what a decent example would and nothing more. Apart from the ludicrous price, that exhaust would put anyone off.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

What if he has the receipts, Master Po, to prove he's spent all that money on the bike? Couldn't he then get his money back? Wouldn't that be fair?
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

By that reckoning, if I kept all my petrol receipts I should be looking for many thousands for my old heap(s). All those parts he bought were consumables in their own way.
        I'd happily pay him two hundred for it.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Heck my 750 would be worth about $6000...my 83 1100 the same and my 81 1100 about $4000

YOU CAN"T EXPECT TO GET YOUR MONEY BACK FROM WHAT YOU SPENT ON PARTS!!! LOl...
          No signature

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
            I'd happily pay him two hundred for it.
            Ha ha very funny, it's prob worth 1700 if he would fix the exhaust.
            My old 82 Gs400T was worth at least 1900 on kelly blue book, and I got way more $ than I thought from the insurance company.

Comment

I always use the 10% rule. If you spend any money on a vehicle, expect to get max 10% back when it sells.

Example: Buy a bike, for what it is worth. Let's use $1000. Put another grand into it in aftermarket and repairs. Value of bike is still $1000, receipts for $1000, expect $1100. If you get more, good. Don't expect it though.

Comment

On the flip side, before I rebuild or invest in a bike I ask myself (and usually get an answer) "Am I doing it to ride the bike, or to sell it for hopefully a profit?"
                Bike values in Australia are vastly different than the Americas, mainly because of the smaller quantity that were delivered here, the drier climate helping to preserve the bikes, and a mentality of most Australians to keep the bike running properly and not having the "throw away" attitude where the local market is swamped with a choice.
                To spend a $1000 on a bike I know I'm going to keep for say, five years is in my mind a wise investment, but again it goes back to the original choice, ride or sell.
                Just today I was told the wiring harness on the GS850 has so many hidden nicks and cuts, that a new harness is needed. The local Suzuki dealer came to the party with a new one for $330 minus my 15% discount, coming from Japan.
                To me, this just justified keeping the bike longer if you follow my thinking.
                Having a 1980's bike in nearly new condition which is reasonably rare here in Perth, (I like a machine that's different and one that every boy racer doesn't have) might be an ego thing, but heh, it's I'm semi retired now and biking keeps me sane.

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                  Heck my 750 would be worth about $6000...my 83 1100 the same and my 81 1100 about $4000

YOU CAN"T EXPECT TO GET YOUR MONEY BACK FROM WHAT YOU SPENT ON PARTS!!! LOl...

Exactly, reason why I've never added up what I spent on rehabing my 750, didn't care, I plan to keep the bike until I'm not able to ride any longer.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesWhut? View Post
                    It was built by a V-Strom owner (bike in background). He can't help not having any taste.
                    LMAO... Amen
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                    Originally posted by Hayabuser
                    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Comment

Yeah the 4-1 pipe is a huge value enhancer fer sure.
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Cool, I was just in Perth for a couple of weeks...where my in-laws live.

Comment

trike.jpgCheck it out boys!!

Comment

Originally posted by SNOWBLIND78 View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]37994[/ATTACH]Check it out boys!!
                              looks like it's going to fall apart once it gets moving. And what a terrible to kills suzuki!

Comment

"The exhaust pipe alone is worth 3 or 400"

Before he opened the box it came in.
                                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                                X