• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuesday - another local castle.

---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

The Kinzua Bridge has long been on my bucket list. I headed out to ride there last Sunday, but turned around after an hour due to impending bad weather. Would have been wet pretty much the whole way there and back. Today looked better. Told the wife I’d be home by 6. That turned out to be not very accurate.

2 hours in came the first drizzle. So I stopped to fill up, asked the gas jockey (yes, a full service gas station in East Jabip, PA. Go figure.) if I could leave the bike parked at the pump, under roof, to wait out what I thought would be a quick shower. Checking my weather app, I saw we’d be in for quite a soaking. So I just chilled there and shot the breeze with the guy for about 45 minutes. A clearing was coming, then another big cell. But north, where I was headed, looked like it would be clear. I donned my rain gear and continued on. Still about 30 minutes from my destination the second cell hit, then it hit hard.

Powered through it about 15 minutes til I just couldn’t see. Found a dirt parking lot and pulled off. Just sat there for a few seconds looking around for cover. At the far end of the parking lot I could see a small walking bridge, 2 kids fishing in the downpour, and a pavilion - just what I needed. Rode to that end of the lot through puddles that were hiding about a 5 inch layer of some kind of loose freshly dropped cinder/gravel or whatever this township uses to fill in the puddles when this lot gets too pot-holey. Really scared I was going to drop the bike in the mud in the middle of a downpour I stood up and throttled through it to more solid ground. Found a place where I thought my kickstand stood the best chance of not sinking in to the muck, grabbed my phone and coffee, dismounted, crossed the bridge and sat down at the pavilion. The boys gave me a look as I passed, but they continued fishing. They certainly couldn’t have gotten any wetter. I took off a bunch of wet stuff and sat and chatted with the boys’ parents for about 45 minutes and waited for this storm to pass. It came down pretty hard for quite a while. Turns out the couple had been married on the the skywalk at the Kinzua Bridge, where I was headed. Pics below. The road up Rt 120 and the different route back Rt 44 were great roads for the most part (except a section of 44 that was tar and chip). I’ll have to ride them again when they’re dry. Nothing very twisty, but long sweeping curves with great mountain and creek/river views.

Oh, and I didn’t get home till after 8. My burger was cold, but so was the beer and the potato salad. So, all in all, a great day.
      300 miles. 6 hours in the saddle.

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 07-05-2024, 12:56 PM.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Kinzua bridge is pretty cool. Twisted metal.

I took the Ugly out on the 4th for a bike n hike. Parked at Swift Hill State Forest and followed the Finger Lakes Trail for a couple miles. Then, since I hate retracing my steps, I took the long way by road back to my bike. That turned out to be a long, hot stroll.

View along walk back to bike:

Parking spot had a bit of a water crossing...

]
        2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
        82 gs1100L probably the next project
        1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
        1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP
        https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2f1debec_t.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
          Kinzua bridge is pretty cool. Twisted metal.
          If figured you must have been there at lease once in your many treks across northwestern PA.

Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

The back story of the Kinzua Bridge is pretty interesting.

And I can remember seeing the Kinzua Dam before it filled with water.
            Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
            1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
            1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

On my way to Atmar, NY for a couple days bike n hike I learned a new lesson: Always check your valve stems. Spent a couple hours at a rest area on the NYS Thruway with a tire that wouldn't hold air. My punk kid came through with a new valve stem (he was about an hour away for work). We took the tire off, broke the bead with the kickstand, replaced the valve stem using tools in my BMW kit and filled the tire with air from the service station pump which cost $2.50 a shot. The old one, probably original, was basically dry rotted. I owe the kid a beer.

Good as new we continued on to Salmon River Falls State Forest. I spent the next day hiking and riding the area. Nice place if you're ever in upper central NY.

]

]
              2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
              82 gs1100L probably the next project
              1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
              1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP
              https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2f1debec_t.jpg

Comment

Today’s journey to creepy abandoned places led me to a place in my own county. The Alvira Ammo Bunkers. Apparently some are open and you can explore the insides. I’ll have to revisit when I’m better dressed for a hike.

On the return route, I found this interstate underpass to take a break from the sun, which turned out to be a rural dead-end/driveway. Pic-worthy, though.

Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Survived 115 minutes of track time @ the Ridge Motorsports Park yesterday. I was a bit hot, 90 when I left.
                  20240715_194618 by Carter Turk, on Flickr
                  GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

ebagger.jpg Arghh: This was nice but it burbled a bit on the way home, so I shot the pipes and an outer one was half the temp of the others, was rich.
                    Last edited by Big Block; 07-19-2024, 06:20 PM.
                    1986 1150EF
                    2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

So that led to this which turned out fine. So.... Off with the carbs which on an E is almost akin to poking your eye with a stick. I couldn't see anything amiss anywhere. So I pulled the needle from the offending outside and swapped it tothe good outside then blew the heck out of all the passages in case my old eyes missed something. Went for another short ride in the 38c and it sounded perfect this time and all the exhaust pipes shot the same temp so I think the airbox fight was worth it. bowler.jpg
                      1986 1150EF
                      2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Originally posted by Big Block View Post
                        So that led to this which turned out fine. So.... Off with the carbs which on an E is almost akin to poking your eye with a stick. I couldn't see anything amiss anywhere. So I pulled the needle from the offending outside and swapped it tothe good outside then blew the heck out of all the passages in case my old eyes missed something. Went for another short ride in the 38c and it sounded perfect this time and all the exhaust pipes shot the same temp so I think the airbox fight was worth it. bowler.jpg
                        Nice! I hate taking carbs off any of my GS’s
                        No signature :(

Comment

Ha, ha: Yes I was not looking forward to it. I considered plating and insuring my Honda as it seems there is absolutely no chance of selling it this year. Fuel injected is the way to go! Then I remembered setting the valves on the Honda and that ole good looking GS seemed not too bad after all. friends dont let friends.jpg .
                          1986 1150EF
                          2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Been going out for morning rides 2-3-4 days a week, and evening rides 2-3 days a week.

Morning rides often include a walk on the pier.
                            THis morning got a parking space with good pose for picture.

(yah, maybe you have seen somewhat similar pic before.)

Am quite glad and thankfull to be able to do such.
                            http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Took a 100 mile loop through the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation area today. LBL 2024 by Scott Marvin, on Flickr
                              sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                              2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Got out on my 1100 today to go to a bike/car show.

And I got the VFR out as well

No signature :(

Comment

Working...
                                X