Long Distance Interstate Riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Iowa interstates have full-service rest areas every 30 miles"

As long as you avoid I-80 east of Des Moines. Simulated moon surface.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      Long Distance Interstate Riding ... Omaha is about a 750 mile ride ... I am planning on a few training rides ...
      OK, you have the "training ride" planned, where are you going on the long trip?

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
        "Iowa interstates have full-service rest areas every 30 miles"

As long as you avoid I-80 east of Des Moines. Simulated moon surface.
        Wasn't bad in October. At least not compared to other states I had driven in.
        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Practice standing on the pegs (if you don't already do this). At speeds less than 40 mph it's easy. Keep you knees against the tank. It really makes a difference being able to stand for a minute while chipping away at the highway miles.

Get a bladder style backpack. There are small ones that only hold a few items and the water bladder. Being able to sip water while riding on warm and hot days really makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by subforry View Post
            Practice standing on the pegs (if you don't already do this). At speeds less than 40 mph it's easy. Keep you knees against the tank. It really makes a difference being able to stand for a minute while chipping away at the highway miles.

Get a bladder style backpack. There are small ones that only hold a few items and the water bladder. Being able to sip water while riding on warm and hot days really makes a difference.
            Although I like the idea of the backpack and use one when I hunt, I can't see being able to easily fight with getting the hose behind my full face helmet
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I use a camelbak. Mine sits in the jacket but I used to wear a pack. The fanny pack one can be adjusted so that it sits basically on the seat behind you & doesn't pull on your back.
              The bite valve in helmet is a knack but not that hard.
              I like my Sena connected up for music & GPS (especially on the slab).

I really like my AIRHAWK seat for long days, on my KLR I can do 150-180 miles between stops when I use that thing...
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                Although I like the idea of the backpack and use one when I hunt, I can't see being able to easily fight with getting the hose behind my full face helmet
                It's not hard, give it a try.

Doing this in July, the biggest piece of advice I can give you is start early. Just as it's getting light in the east. That way you have the bulk of your miles in before the heat of the day.

And for god's sake, use ear plugs. If you're listening to music and have it up high enough to overcome the wind roar you're decimating your hearing. The ear plugs will make the music sound better and clearer.
                '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                  I use a camelbak. Mine sits in the jacket but I used to wear a pack. The fanny pack one can be adjusted so that it sits basically on the seat behind you & doesn't pull on your back.
                  The bite valve in helmet is a knack but not that hard.
                  I like my Sena connected up for music & GPS (especially on the slab).

I really like my AIRHAWK seat for long days, on my KLR I can do 150-180 miles between stops when I use that thing...
                  I dished out the foam on my stock seat and inset a 2'' thick medical gel pad and reinstalled the stock cover. The seat looks 100% stock, but it is comfy with no soreness for a 1000 mile day.
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Start doing some back work outs.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                      Start doing some back work outs.
                      That and move forward or back on the seat for various speeds to find where you need to sit so that when you hold your hands, palms down, over the handle bar grips, they just float there without your having to put any effort into keeping them in position. It's the point of aerodynamic equilibrium. There will be zero strain on your back at that point. My distance riding position is what I call a relaxed flop with minimal effort.
                      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Inexpensive way to install cruse control. I used mine on a 6400 mile trip in 2016. +1 on the water I use a Camelback and slip under my full face helmet while riding, for a quick drink. I'm always hydrated.
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g
                        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                          https://www.walmart.com/ip/CRAMPBUST...&wl13=&veh=sem

Inexpensive way to install cruse control.
                          And a VERY easy way to lose control.

I absolutely DETEST those contraptions. Yes, they take the strain away from the wrist, but they still require constant attention to hand/arm position. And by the time you finally get it set up in the right position for cruising, it's sticking up too far when you slow down in town. With it sticking up like that, it's WAY too easy to accidentally bump it down, adding a lot of throttle. And I believe that bike has pretty good throttle response.

The only way one of those will end up on my bike is if it's in the trunk or saddlebags. I will NOT put it on the handlebar. And for a few bucks more (~$25 vs. ~$10), you can get the Vista Cruise Control throttle lock. That one will actually let you remove your right hand (momentarily) to scratch your right leg, which is something the Cramp Buster won't allow. The Vista unit does not lock the throttle so hard that it can't be moved, it just keeps it from moving on its own.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Slim Jims or Beef type sticks are convenient to snack on when riding. I tried peanuts, the result was 50/50. 50 percent in your pie hole 50 percent blowing down the road...☺
                            Last edited by storm 64; 04-26-2018, 02:55 PM.
                            My Motorcycles:
                            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                            79 1000e (all original)
                            82 850g (all original)
                            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I'll tell ya what the corpsman always told us. Stay hydrated and change your socks lol. Oh and 800 mg Motrin cures all.

I keep a few of the single packs of motrin on me and when I'm getting really uncomfortable later in the day I'll stop and have a snack at the next gas stop and take 600 or so mg of Motrin.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                                https://www.walmart.com/ip/CRAMPBUST...&wl13=&veh=sem

Inexpensive way to install cruse control. I used mine on a 6400 mile trip in 2016. +1 on the water I use a Camelback and slip under my full face helmet while riding, for a quick drink. I'm always hydrated.
                                I hate those things. You can't take your hand away and shake it out or rest it at all. I use these...https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEP-Motorcy...UAAOSw2PtaoVFi...

Adjustable tension, I can shake my hand loose or hang my arm down. Ten times better.

Comment

Working...
                                X