No announcement yet.

This makes me so thankful for my GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I was kicking it for about a half hour, and it finally gave me "the sign" that it was going to start. I got all excited, and didn't get the peddle set properly. JUMPED on it, and it just dropped out. I landed full force on my right foot slightly turned, and CRACK ! ! ! my wife had just pulled into the driveway, and heard me yelp like a kicked dog, lol...
    '83 GS 1100T
    The Jet

sigpic
    '95 GSXR 750w
    The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
      Ouch...
      my cousin had old sportster he bought to flip. I tried to kickstart it and just the opposite happened to me. The mechanism didn’t catch and I rammed my foot with full force into the ground. My ankle and knee hurt for a bit, but nothing like that. That was the first and last time I tried.
      Its been amusing to have an HD owner scoff at my little Suzuki two stroke before going over to kick start his HD. Then with one foot on the ground & a modest kick that little two stroke is running. I’ve wondered how many cuss words were said between my departure & the HD starting to run.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
        I had a '72 Iron Head 1000 Harley...
        Bestill my heart!

The '72 Sportster! First year they increased to 1,000 cc's, still shifted on right, braked on left (to emulate British bikes). Four speed, drum brakes all around.

Here's the text from the ad:

"Time machine.

1000 cc Sportster. When you're through with waiting and ready to move. The one machine that straightens it all out. On the road, at the strip...or in your mind."
        Attached Files
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Such a hateful machine. Those drum brakes wouldn't stop a tricycle rolling up hill. It was a scary ride, but the fastest Harley I have ever ridden...
          '83 GS 1100T
          The Jet

sigpic
          '95 GSXR 750w
          The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

XLCH = Extra Large Charley Horse
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
              Ok, enjoy how the camera takes a close look at each engine, real Brit engineering here…
              (500cc and only 3.5 HP????)))
              Probably rated at 3.5hp under the old system which measured bore and assigned a notional power rating to the engine for tax purposes. This led to manufacturers making long stroke engines, some of which were just nasty.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

My bike before my 1982 GS650G was a 1969 Triumph T100S Tiger 490cc single carb. I bought it for CAD$3,600 in 2006 and over the next eleven years and 20,000 miles it broke down so often I think I spend $15,000 in rebuilds. The final straw when when the engine exploded, cracking the barrel on both sides so you could see sunlight straight through the fins. I assume this was due to over boring, but pistons were the allowed oversize.
                1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                  Probably rated at 3.5hp under the old system which measured bore and assigned a notional power rating to the engine for tax purposes. This led to manufacturers making long stroke engines, some of which were just nasty.
                  Seem to recall that system, for cars at least, still in use here well into the 70s and a rule of thumb was 125cc was one tax horsepower.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
                  X