Replacement motorcycle jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
    That was my first motorcycle jacket (43 years ago). It's in excellent condition today.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57146[/ATTACH]

Yes, that's rabbit's fur it's lined with. I consider it one of a kind.
    Wow Rob that is a nice jacket! The 618 is nice but I didn't like the belt. I didn't want it to bang or scratch anything. This is my 585
    Attached Files
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I have a leather jacket made in Pakistan.

No big name brand, just a very nice jacket......vame with full padding, wears well, waterproof and quite warm.

I do not wear it in hot weather as it is too hot. Have a fabric mesh for those days.

As to wax for water resistance....in my earlier years I used to use Neat's Foot Oil, a saddlery product.

It leaves the leather soft, pliable, and feeling a bit damp, but it NEVER leaks.

On the downside...I got some chemical substance on it and had it professionally cleaned. That was not a great idea. I guess the cleaners worked hard to get the oil out and it came back like frozen cardboard.
      Wearing it was not even possible until it was re-loaded with oil.

After twenty years it was as soft, wearable and durable as when I first began oiling it.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
        Wow Rob that is a nice jacket! The 618 is nice but I didn't like the belt. I didn't want it to bang or scratch anything. This is my 585
        This is the one I wear whenever I ride in chilly weather. I don't know what Schott model it is, but I call it the 'racing style'. It has a removable liner.

image.jpg

I like the look. My fur lined jacket (Marlon Brando wore it in "The Wild One"), which looks pretty much like your new one, I wore the first few years I rode. I found the neck wind sealing quality less than ideal, and yeah, you better have that buckle all strapped up or your tank will pay.

BTW, that 'Wild One' style was wildly popular with the late 1970's punk rock crowd here in NY City (CBGB's, the 'Mud Club', etc.), and very few of them actually rode.

I had my racing jacket repaired after a fall. It had some pretty severe rash of it's own, not to mention a good amount of blood gushing from my face. After two months the repair man called me to pick it up.

He said , "It looks brand new, right?" I said, "it looks brand blue. What's up?" He said, "It's gray. You wanted it gray, right?"

It's not too bad, it'll age back black and then to a brownish color. I read that all black leather is dyed, and after years of exposure it fades to a well-aged brown look.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Joe Rocket and Tour Master have nice Textile stuff at good prices. I also have a HD FXRG leather jacket. Its expensive, very heavy, durable in a crash, with the removable liner its very warm(needed in Mn.!), with liner out its vented well enough to wear in hot weather provided your moving. Waterproof. Built in removeable kidney belt. Never seen a better leather jacket.
          Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple:twistedevil:, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
          Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
          Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

I bought a leather jacket from Leatherup.ca last year, I was shocked by the quality. I'm going to buy pants this year. Another option would be Motosport, top made gear. Best quality out there apparently.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
            X