Replacement motorcycle jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement motorcycle jacket

Hi i need some advice i need to replace my jacket at the moment i wear a make do.
    i,ve been looking at bellstaff jackets and shocked to find the prices of these jackets so much money new,

Even the used ones on flea bay are fetching a pretty pennie.
    So i,m keen for any suggestions for a all season jacket 3/4 lenght but must be up to the job and not fall apart after a year
    or 4.
    Just curious as to what jackets people wear when ridding out.

I,ll be honest i like bellstaff and am leaning towards these jackets as i wore one back in the day but there are so many types of jackets around now its getting confusing.

Any advice greatly appreciated seeing as my bike is 40 years old i would like the retro look to match although not important its just i dont want to be buying something trendie like a onesie.

Thanks for reading,Mark.
    Edit i think this might be in the wrong place sorry about that.
    Last edited by markla; 01-20-2019, 07:30 AM.
    ​suzuki gs750 db

Schott is the gold standard here. All mine (I have four) are many decades old and in fine shape. Wouldn't buy another brand.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

It's not a 3/4 but I really like my Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket - it's essentially a mesh jacket with a removable textile cover and includes a liner for colder weather. When it gets real cold (30ish) i'll throw a couple of long sleeve shirts on as well and be fine
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I'm with Rob on this one, I love my Schott 585 leather jacket. Yes, a little pricey but you get what you pay for. I do like the Bellstaff waxed cotton jacket. I just haven't pulled the trigger to buy one yet. I bought a Corrazo brand motorcycle jacket last year. Very stylish, but it's starting to tear around the cuffs, not the highest quality. I'm also looking for a new summer jacket for this year. Something vented, not to flashy, reasonable priced.
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Forget that old waxed Belstaff crap....You've forgotten how the pants leaked up your crack after a week in use...and how rigid the stuff got in the cold. Nowadays, I don't know where the stuff is at but I wish I'd saved my beaten jacket to sell to some hairbunned cafe racer for big $$$. It did wear well and was well-made but leaked at the shoulders too, I seem to recall...and yes, I used to rewax it...bah.

another vote for the Joe Rocket Alter Ego stuff. I love mine winter and summer. Very adaptable to climates...but: their models change year by year and featurewise it's hard to review them exactly...still, I'd advise anyone to buy a set of wide suspenders to clip-on to the pants-the belting system is useless and suspenders are just more comfortable.
          . I've never worn pants under the "overpants"-the rain liner and long underwear does to just near freezing... but would still say get a loose fit per their sizes.
          Most people don't want the dayglo colour but I think mine has helped once or twice...certainly does when stopped on roadside...some people may be mistaking me for a policeman or security guard momentarily...
          Also, the dayglo begins to bleach out in the sun and shows dirt and road stain too if that's important. Washing it gently helps brighten it up but textile stuff does stain pretty deep.
          Last edited by Gorminrider; 01-20-2019, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Yes one of my friends who i ride with sometimes keeps on at me to forget the old crap and embrace the new,
            Modern materials with armour inside for protection he says, lets face it your no spring chicken anymore.
            he has a way with words rides a modern kawasaki likes to rub my face in it.
            ​suzuki gs750 db

Comment

I don't know about vendors in the UK, but here in the States there are vendors selling last year's textile gear for a song.

I picked up some First Gear for my son for about $200, still holding up after 3 years.

Like leather, it needs cleaning and waterproofing annually.

Textile won't slide as well as leather. But, it will protect impact with the armor
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by markla View Post
                Yes one of my friends who i ride with sometimes keeps on at me to forget the old crap and embrace the new,
                Modern materials with armour inside for protection he says, lets face it your no spring chicken anymore.
                he has a way with words rides a modern kawasaki likes to rub my face in it.
                well, Belstaff makes more modern stuff too, I think. It may be a better deal where you are. I've sure never coated this JoeRocket stuff. It has a waterproof zip in liner that is also heat reflective and it does seem to do something but even without the liner , the coat is good enough for an hour so far...and I haven't had that icy cold enema yet with this kit.

Someone somewhere said the disadvantage of the textiles with WP liners is they get heavy because the fabric takes up water...but I haven't noticed.

Of course you can do well enough with a raincoat over your leather jacket...I did this ok until I was able to crowbar my wallet open...and, it does have the advantage that you can wear a bright yellow rainjacket when it really does help in town but still have a leather jacket under for protection. A good leather jacket is cooler than Belstaff. I mean. I don't see Prince Phillip in leather but I do believe the royals like Belstaff ? or is it Burberry. Oh well

Comment

Textiles will stay waterproof with a Nikwax washing every few years
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

My First Gear Kilamanjaro has held up great. It's now 10 plus years (may be closer to 20ish). The sleeves just above cuffs have just this year started to come apart a bit. Zip in liner, vented, armoured (padding inside). Its never been crash tested thankfully.

The whole subject of (re) waterproofing of textiles came up a while ago, which I still need to do.... It did lose that quality 3-4 years in.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I crashed and burned in a Schott leather jacket in the early 80s. Didn't end up with a scratch on me, at least my upper body. I had a Vanson leather jacket from 1980, but couldn't fit in it anymore. I currently have a First Gear Leather-Tex jacket. I like it a lot.
                      https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4442/...678005be58.jpg

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                      Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Take a look over here www.motorcyclegear.com Formerly "New Enough"
                        Good prices and a lot if different brands and styles.
                        I've purchased, jackets, gloves and boots from them.
                        Any returns were handled with no issues
                        Keith
                        -------------------------------------------
                        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I'm happy with the service I've gotten from my Tourmaster Sabre Series 3 jacket. It was $100 on clearance maybe 5 years ago. Unfortunately, it has been crash tested twice. 25 mph drop by myself and a 10-15 mph drop by my son. Jacket did a great job of protecting us. I decided to go for the gusto and just bought a used Aerostich Roadcrafter one piece on ebay for $450 shipped. New price is $1300 and up. If I were going for just a jacket, I'd still go with an Aerostich Roadcrafter. I agree with your friend about more effective gear. We don't bounce or heal like we did when we were considerably younger. That and I really don't care for road rash.

Comment

Schott 618 - Perfecto baby
                            1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                            1977 GS550
                            1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
                              Schott 618 - Perfecto baby
                              That was my first motorcycle jacket (43 years ago). It's in excellent condition today.

image.jpg

Yes, that's rabbit's fur it's lined with. I consider it one of a kind.
                              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                              X